- 50 -

Don't worry, I am close to death but here's another chapter.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Virgil pulled his headphones off of his ears on Saturday afternoon, frowning. He paused the video on his phone and took a second to listen. From where he sat on his bed, he could have sworn he heard a knock at the door.

...Thud thud thud.

There it was again.

Virgil hesitantly got up from the bed and made his way to the front door. Wherever the person was standing on the doorstep, they couldn't be seen through the kitchen windows. Virgil didn't want to be rude, so he made a move to open the door and hoped with all of his socially awkward heart that it was Roman or something and not a salesperson

Well, the dark-haired woman standing on Virgil's doorstep offered him a polite smile as the door clicked open.

Of course, it's a saleswo --

"Hello, are you Virgil?" she asked expectantly.

Virgil faltered. "Wh-what?" he stuttered. It wasn't normal for salespeople to know your name, right? He hesitated, "Um... yeah? Who's asking?"

The woman smiled politely. "Of course; we've never met." She extended a manicured hand, decorated impeccably with ruby-red nails and a collection of modish rings. "I'm Mrs. Blair."

Virgil extended his hand as well despite being confused. "I'm sorry," he confessed guiltily, "but I don't recognize that last name."

She let out an acknowledging sigh, almost as though she had expected as much, and shook his hand. "I'm Roman's mom."

Virgil gripped her hand. "O-oh," he choked. What? Why is Roman's mom here?

"Probably should have started with that," she laughed easily, letting go of Virgil's hand. "Is your mom or dad home?"

He scratched behind his ear. "Um, yeah, my mom's taking a nap, I think."

"Oh, I see," Mrs. Blair nodded. "I won't make you wake her, then. But when she does, tell her to give me a call, will you?" She held out her arm again and handed Virgil a small, rose-colored piece of stationary, eloquently marked with a phone number in striking black ink. "I'd like to have your family over for dinner tomorrow night, if it's not too much trouble."

"Oh, um, thanks," Virgil was sort of shocked. "I'll let her know, yeah. And, ah, nice to meet you."

She offered another polite smile. "You as well, Virgil. I hope to see you Sunday." And then she turned and walked away, her dark heels clicking on the sidewalk as she left Virgil's bare front lawn.

Virgil, still shocked, closed the door and shook his head. He placed the stationary on the end of the kitchen counter so that his mom would see it later or he would remember to bring it up. He then walked back to his room and immediately called Roman.

"Hello?" Roman was sounding as charming as ever.

"Dude, your mom literally just showed up at my door. You could have asked me yourself if she wanted us over for dinner."

Roman seemed to be at a loss for words on the other end. After a few moments, he asked incredulously, "My mom was just at your house?"

"Yeah?"

"Oh my god, I can't believe she actually --" Roman cut his own muttering off with a question: "Dinner?"

Virgil nodded and hummed. "Yep. Dinner tomorrow at yours, apparently."