- 8 -

Roman stared into his bathroom mirror, observing the damage that had been done to his handsome face. He sighed, disappointed that the black eye and bruising hadn't gone away yet. He mentally cursed himself for letting those jocks get the jump on him.

But then his thoughts drifted to Virgil. The boy had barely spoken a word to him for the past couple of weeks, but then on Friday, suddenly his determination and concern became nearly overwhelming. Virgil's curiosity had definitely caught Roman off guard, but he was relieved that the boy hadn't pestered him for the details of the fight.

Roman had despised Virgil for the past week. Why had the boy's concern suddenly change his mind? Truly, he hadn't really hated Virgil, but he had been off put ever since the second day of school. Maybe seeing the mope display an emotion other than discontent made Roman remember Virgil was human. That led his thoughts to drift back to the conversation with Patton. And he had to admit, it was a relief to spend time with someone who wasn't thirty eager eyes, waiting to scrape up every bit of gossip about the fight.

Roman tried not to think about the how or why of his encounter with the three other seniors, but he couldn't get it out of his head. Something told him he should talk about it with someone, but he couldn't think who. All of his friends were too gossipy and loud -- it would spread around the friend group within days, if not the entire school. And he didn't know anyone outside of school that was close enough to talk to.

His thoughts drifted to Patton, for he could tell how fatherly and loving the boy was, but something told Roman that he simply wouldn't understand. He was good for general comfort, but Patton likely wouldn't be able to really relate to how Roman was feeling.

He contemplated Logan for a brief moment before realizing that was absurd -- the uptight kid could barely hold a friendly conversation let alone comfort someone.

And he also thought briefly of Virgil. Maybe they were sort of friends now? He would have immediately dismissed the option a couple days before, but after the boy's behavior on Friday, Roman couldn't help thinking about it for a moment. However, he came to the sad conclusion that he would either get sneered at or get the wrong response and decided against it.

Roman sighed at his reflection again and shook his head. He'd just have to deal with it.

-     -     -

Monday came in a flash, as it always did. Roman woke up to the birds chirping outside of his window -- well, that and his piercing alarm. His room was cold with fall chill and he struggled to uncurl himself from the blankets.

He checked his reflection in the bedroom mirror before going to make breakfast. He still hadn't completely healed, but at least he no longer looked like the product of a boxing match anymore.

Roman was extremely self conscious. He viewed himself as someone with such high qualities, but that also meant he had terribly high standards. If he wasn't looking his absolute best -- or at least his version of best -- then he couldn't find his confidence. He couldn't stand being anything underneath what he expected himself to be.

So naturally, having a bruised face was an absolute nightmare. Wear them like battle scars, Roman, he tried to tell himself. Wear them proudly -- they make you tougher, not weaker.

He'd have to keep that in mind.

He made eggs and sausage for breakfast because he was running a little on the early side -- plus, who knows if he'd get pulled into another fight today. Better to be overprepared than underprepared.

The school was just about as lively as a graveyard when Roman got there, as it usually was on early Monday mornings. He walked to his first period, oblivious to the whispers and stares he provoked. One downside of having a small school is that everyone heard about everything -- even if they didn't know you. It was nerve wracking for a lot of kids, but Roman rarely noticed. He assumed everyone liked him, and felt secure in the belief that no one would talk about him behind his back.

First period was quiet and subdued. Everyone seemed exhausted from the weekend -- spare for Logan of course. The guy never looked tired, no matter how long or excruciating the week was.

On his way out of history -- the lecture that he realized he didn't really retain -- Roman ran into Riley.

"Hey!" the dark haired boy called. "Why weren't you at lunch on Friday? I heard you came into chem with a broken nose!" He looked incredibly intrigued yet concerned, thick dark eyebrows turned down in a frown.

Roman sighed. "I did not have a broken nose," he huffed, disappointed that the secret has gotten out -- not that he was really surprised. "And I just went to the nurse's office."

"What the heck happened to you?" Riley asked with wide eyes.

The bell rang and Roman internally celebrated with relief. "I'm sorry, I've got to get to class, Riley." He gave his friend a rushed wave and started to speed walk down the hallway, trying not to be late. He knew he'd have to explain to his friends -- all of them -- eventually but... He really, really didn't want to.

Because it would complicate a lot of things.

Chemistry was, surprisingly, a relief. Roman had expected more interrogation but was pleasantly surprised. He instead got a sympathetic "you know, I'm here if you ever need to talk" from Patton, a nod of greeting from Logan, and a "'sup drama geek" from Virgil.

He had never been so happy to hear such dead conversation.

"How'd you know I'm in drama?" Roman asked Virgil after taking out his binder.

Virgil chuckled darkly. "C'mon Captain Campy, you're literally the drama kid stereotype. I mean, the scarf, the expression, the ostentatiousness --"

"Excuse you!"

"Hey, it's true. There's no way someone can talk as sing-songy as you and not have been in at least one showing of -- oh I don't know -- Footloose or Hairspray or... what's other musicals?"

Roman scoffed. "Well, for starters --"

Virgil held up a finger. "You know what? Forget I asked."

"How dare you?" Roman scowled mockingly, holding back a grin. "I can't believe how disrespectful you are, you morose cloud of ignorance. You forgot Heathers."

Virgil just smirked and threw an 'L' up on his forehead. "Yeah whatever, Westerburg Trash."

Virgil and Roman, both with a slight smile on their lips, settled into silence and listened as Mr. Tamm explained the instructions for a lab. It was a dumb probability test that involved flipping coins, so it didn't really need instructions. But who knows, maybe some kids were in over their heads when they joined level two chemistry.

Roman and Virgil had to work together on the lab, and took turns sending banter at each other. Even though it was still a little biting and would probably get exhausting after a while, Roman enjoyed himself for the most part. He could hardly fathom it, but it started to become apparent that Roman didn't hate the jacket of negativity as much as he'd thought anymore -- maybe they could even be considered acquaintances.

When chemistry ended, the boys packed up their binders and walked silently out the door, not together but not separate either. They found themselves... hesitating at the door, neither really knowing if they were going to walk to Virgil's lunch spot or go their separate ways.

Eventually Roman gave an awkward smile. "I'm coming with you, right?" He tensely accepted a nod from Virgil, relieved, and walked with him -- feeling strange -- far away from the overwhelming group of friends who would not shut up about his bruises.