- 6 -

Perhaps the last thing that Virgil should have noticed when Roman walked in was how glittery his eyes were. Sure, there were splotches of blood on his pristine white shirt and the letterman's jacket hanging loosely in his left hand looked like it had been rubbed on the asphalt, but all Virgil could see was how close to tears Roman looked.

Roman? Virgil second guessed himself. Even in the second week of school, he knew being shaken up was out of character for the boy. On the verge of tears? No way. It must be a reflection from the windows or something.

But as his defeated-looking classmate drew nearer, Virgil could not avoid his conclusion any longer. It was certain: Roman was crushed, miserable, and very close to breaking down.

Mr. Tamm shook himself out of a petrified state. "Do you... have a pass, Roman?"

He nodded awkwardly and handed the teacher a nurse's slip.

As soon as Roman sat down, Virgil could not contain himself. "What the hell happened?" he hissed, frantically looking Roman all over for signs of attack. The boy had a swollen cheek, black eye, bloody nose, and broken lip -- he also, Virgil noticed, had bloody knuckles.

Roman shrugged himself away, a motion that was awfully reminiscent of Virgil himself. "What do you care?" he asked icily. "It's none of your business."

"I care that my chemistry seat partner -- Roman the Almighty --" Virgil whispered harshly, "just looks like he got jumped by a freaking baseball bat."

Roman rolled his eyes and huffed out a humorless laugh. "I feel so loved."

Virgil sighed. "C'mon Roman. You think I'm gonna stop asking before you've explain yourself? I've got nothing left to lose if you already hate me."

Roman just shook his head and looked out the window.

Virgil couldn't focus on Mr. Tamm's lesson. No matter how hard he tried, his thoughts kept swimming back to Roman. Did he start a fight with someone? Did someone start a fight with him? And if either, why? I mean, sure, the kid was kind of annoying and pretentious, but that didn't mean he needed his nose broken. And plus, who would -- whoever initiated the fight -- do it right before fifth period? Why not during lunch?

Right before the bell rang, Virgil realized he had missed everything that Mr. Tamm had discussed. He didn't even know what the homework was. So before the bell signaled the end of fifth period, Virgil ripped a chunk of paper out of his binder and scribbled down his phone number, tossing it. "Text me the homework," he said to Logan as the bell rang. The graphing calculator of a high schooler fumbled for the paper but by the time he had caught it to possibly question Virgil, the boy was already halfway across the classroom, racing after Roman.

Virgil, for some reason, was incredibly intrigued by Roman's current state. Perhaps it was the fact that someone who seemed so unmoveable -- so immensely strong and brave -- was currently cowering away from the idea that he had lost a fight. That and the fact that his curiosity sent his mind reeling with all of the possibilities; his brain screamed at him to just confirm what happened what happened what happened.

"Hey, Roman!" Virgil shouted through clenched teeth as he rushed out the doorway. "Roman!" He yanked the boy's backpack.

Roman whipped around in the middle of the hallway, making Virgil step back. "Give it up, will you! Jeez, what is your problem? I get it -- I'm a loser today!"

Virgil pressed his lips together. "I just want to know what happened," he confessed softly. He knew he should have given it up long ago, but the fact that Roman wouldn't say anything about it only made him more determined to know.

Roman sighed, his burst of anger subsiding. His shoulders fell. He grabbed Virgil's arm and pulled him down a mostly empty hallway. "Look," he said, talking with tense hands, "it's not a big deal --" Virgil scoffed and Roman narrowed his eyes. "Some guys were just... upset with me," he finally said. "They have a very, well, forceful way of making a point."

"Didn't you fight back?" Virgil asked.

"I tried," Roman chuckled bitterly. "Three against one is a tough battle -- even for me."

Virgil smiled mockingly. "Even for you." He faded off into awkward silence, neither of them saying anything for a few moments. Virgil opened his mouth to say something. Why did he feel so strange? He'd thought he and Roman were bound to hate each other. They never could seem to have a fulfilling conversation and their dislike of each other only increased as the days passed. But at the moment, Virgil wasn't feeling displeased in Roman's presence -- he was actually feeling... pretty comfortable.

Virgil cleared his throat. "Thanks for telling me, Roman," he fumbled awkwardly. "I know that was kind of insensitive of me to pester you about it."

Roman just gave him a tired smile. "It's... okay. I guess I needed to tell someone." He sighed. "And sorry for being so rude to you this past week." He scratched the back of his neck with a guilty expression. "I've been stressed and it's just hard for me to interact with you sometimes."

Virgil laughed. "Yeah no kidding." It wasn't malicious or sarcastic, it was simply relieved. Virgil, who oftentimes felt so rejected, welcomed the apology with understanding.

Roman adjusted his backpack, looking off towards the main hallway. "Do you want to maybe... sit together?" he asked hesitantly.

Roman ? Hesitant? No.

"I don't want to have to explain myself a hundred times." He had a sheepish grin on his face.

Virgil blankly stared at the boy for a couple of seconds. I've got to be dreaming, he confirmed in his head. He was wary to accept Roman's offer. He valued his independence so highly -- he was anxious to talk to other people in fear that they would attack his opinions. Saying yes meant allowing himself to be vulnerable, open to the criticism and potential discomfort that could be a product of interacting with someone new.

What if he hates me? It already seemed pretty evident that he did before. What changed his mind? Does he pity me? Does he want to pull a joke on me?

Virgil was broken out of his thoughts when Roman cleared his throat. "Never mind, it was dumb of me to --"

"Sure."

"What?"

"I said," Virgil sighed, his fate sealed with his impulsiveness, "sure. You can sit with me."

Roman looked utterly taken aback. His eyes were wide, mouth sealed shut in surprise. "Really?" A confident, self-satisfied smile broke out on his face. He laughed. "Who knew I could get Mr. Melancholy to eat lunch with me!"

Virgil rolled his eyes and smirked, turning away towards the main hallway. "Don't give yourself too much credit, Percy Weasley," he called over his shoulder. "Remember, it's you who begged to sit with me."

Roman scoffed as he hurried after Virgil. "Well that's hardly accurate."