- 7 -

Patton, on his way to math class, passed by a secluded alcove that split off from the courtyard. He was delighted and proud to see that the occupants of said alcove were Roman and Virgil. Patton smiled with childish excitement, relieved that Virgil was finally spending time with someone at lunch. After the exchange between himself, Logan, and Virgil during fifth period, he had been hoping the conflict between the two would resolve itself.

Though Patton was still concerned about Roman's condition, he considered that one miracle was enough to hope for today. He was content in knowing that at least something good had come out of the strange Friday.

The math classroom was cold and Patton adjusted his cardigan upon sitting down. He had been struggling in math for the last couple of weeks and tried desperately to ignore his longing to converse. No matter how entertaining his seat partners may be, Patton needed to pay attention and understand.

But no matter how hard he tried to follow along, Mr. Saberon moved too quickly and his words didn't stick for more than a few minutes. Patton nearly fooled himself into thinking he understood, since watching someone do various problems made so much sense.

But when Patton got home and started his homework, he realized that he did not retain any of the lesson. He was lost and had no idea how to take the first step. They were simple algebra problems -- simplifying and converting functions. He should know this.

And then, after a while more of studying, Patton was hit with a brilliant realization: Logan lived one street down.

With a burst of hope, the boy scooped up his math homework and walked out the door.

The sun had already begun to set, streaking pink and orange across the cold sky. Patton's street was quiet, the houses basked in dark blue. He walked along the wide street that was still a little warm to the touch from the day's sun. Patton was unbothered by the slight chill in the air as he hugged his book to his chest -- he only felt the buzz of hope in his chest as he walked down the street. If Logan was home, Patton would finally get some math homework done.

Logan's street was also fairly quiet. The neighborhood wasn't full of many kids, so at this time of evening, no one was outside.

Logan's house was as generic as generic could be. It was painted a cool gray with a simple dark gray pointed roof. It had white-trimmed windows and a porch with a white wooden pillar on either side. Patton was relieved to see warm light coming from the windows on either side.

He walked up to the steps. The pebble path that wound through the succulent garden front yard crunched pleasantly beneath his feet.

Patton knocked on the dark wooden door and waited, book to his chest.

After a couple of moments, someone opened the door. It was Logan, still in his black shirt and tie. He looked surprised, for the two had never actually approached each other's house, despite knowing where they were.

"Patton," he said with a slight frown of disbelief. "What can I do for you?"

Patton gave him a sheepish smile. "Well... you're so smart and good at math, so I was hoping you could help me with my homework."

Logan paused for a moment, his hand still holding the door open. He seemed to shake out of his daze after a second and took a step back. "Of course," he said, gesturing for Patton to come inside. "I can assist you."

As Patton stepped onto the black-and-gray-striped doormat, he took a couple moments to appreciate Logan's house. It was not a surprise that the space was modern. There was a rectangular dining table made of dark wood to the left, on which Patton could see homework strewn. On the right was a wall. From what Patton could see from the opening, the other side of it was a gleaming kitchen. There were wooden stairs ahead of him and on the far left a TV room and glass sliding door. Everything was sharp and clean. Some of the walls were painted a dark lavender-blue, but most were white.

Logan led Patton over to the table. The lamp above it looked liked it was made of paper maché, but Patton couldn't tell. He tried to imagine Logan working with paper maché. No image formed.

When the two got to the table, Logan sat down at one of the four chairs. He had his hand resting on his glasses and a very teacher-y expression. "What is it that you needed help with?"

Patton opened his book for Logan and showed him the problems he had to do. Logan smiled, pre-satisfied with himself. "Well that's quite simple," he said, leaning closer to Patton so he could write the problem.

The two stayed there, Logan demonstrating and working through various problems until Patton seemed to understand. When they finished, Patton realized that more than an hour had passed, but it was worth it. Logan gave Patton a satisfied tight smile when he finished the last problem on his own.

"Oh Logan!" Patton cried, relieved. "Thank you so much! Ugh I finally got it. Thank you!" While Logan started to reply, with the element of surprise, Patton nearly shot out of his seat and wrapped his arms around Logan in a tight hug.

The boy tensed up, as though he weren't sure how to respond. Patton was simply happy that he hadn't immediately pushed away. Finally, after a couple of seconds, Logan awkwardly patted Patton on the back with the little arm movement he could make at the moment.

"You're... welcome," he said. "I'm glad you understand."

Patton released Logan from his clutches and grabbed his completed homework. "I might be back tomorrow!" he called as he jogged out the door, still buzzing from the hug.

While he happily walked back up the street, Patton could feel Logan's eyes on him, watching with newfound interest from the doorway, like a poised gargoyle on the side of a magnificent building.