- 21 -

Logan was bored by fall break, to say the least. He needed a challenge -- something to do. Sure, he could look up things online to entertain him, like puzzles or math problems, but that was just so plain and boring.

Luckily, Patton texted him early on Monday afternoon with an interesting suggestion:

do u want to make cookies with me?

Logan looked at the screen of his phone and blinked. The first thing he noticed was the horrible abbreviation and lack of capitalization; he shivered. The next thing he noticed was that Patton was asking him, of all people, to make cookies with him. He had never baked in his life -- and did he even want to? Logan had never considered that the endeavor could be a fun activity, but maybe for Patton he'd give it a try.

Logan: I suppose I could join you for baking, though I doubt I would be of much help.

Patton: that's okay! I'll teach you. It's more fun that way :)

Logan: If you say so, Patton.

Patton: are u free rn?

Logan: rn?

Patton: right now

Logan would have to learn abbreviations. He was lacking in the texting department.

Logan: Oh. Yes. Would you like me to walk over?

Patton: obviously!!

So before Logan could even contemplate whether or not attempting to make cookies was a good idea, he was out of his desk chair and walking down the street.

Logan was actually a big fan of the cold. It kept him more alert than warmth did and he felt like it improved his thinking. Granted, weather that was too cold was a distraction, so in Logan's opinion, fall was the best season.

Logan took the short walk and cool air to attempt to clear his head. He was still feeling conflicted about Patton -- that feeling hadn't really gone away since Patton's emotional tutoring session months before. He didn't know how he felt about everything and if it was what he wanted. But Logan knew that no matter how confused he felt about having an actual friend for the first time in his life, it wasn't going to stop him from spending time with Patton -- nothing was going to stop him.

Logan knocked on the dark wooden door of Patton's house. He noticed that no cars were in the driveway and the tree in the green front lawn was turning yellow. It was nice -- and definitely less overwhelming than Logan's own over-landscaped front yard.

It didn't take long for Patton to come to the door. He opened it with a smile on his face and a bag of chocolate chips in one hand. "Hey Logan!" he said. He gestured with his unoccupied hand. "Come on in."

Logan said hello back and walked into Patton's small home. It was a tightly packed building with connecting rooms and wooden-trimmed windows. Immediately walking in, there was a windowed corner on the left, home to a bookshelf, TV, and couch. It connected openly further back to a dining room. On the right was a wall; along it were two doors opening to the garage and a bedroom. Walking along the right wall turned into a right-leading hallway, a bathroom down the right side and a bedroom on the left. The far left corner of the house was a kitchen, separated from the dining room by a single wall, which Patton led Logan to.

Patton had an L-shaped kitchen that faced the back door and window. Strewn across the counters were already bowls, spatulas, an electric mixer, and various ingredients.

"So," Patton began, setting his bag of chocolate chips down on the counter, "I barely started without you, which is why there's already flour in that bowl." He pointed towards a white mixing bowl with a red stripe along the bottom.