- 14 -

Virgil was leaning up against the wall, listening to the rain from under the overhang, when he heard a voice call out his name. Upon pulling off his hood and turning, Virgil confirmed that the voice belonged to Patton.

He was incredibly surprised to see the boy approaching him -- as well as the fact that he was followed closely by Logan. However, despite the surprise, he was secretly pleased to see the cheerful boy again.

"Hi Virgil!" Patton called again, giving a dramatic wave.

Virgil raised his eyebrows and a hand, slightly confused, not long before Patton reached him and stopped, huffing. Virgil let out a short laugh. "Are you winded?" he asked.

Patton raised his eyebrows defensively, adjusting his glasses. "It was a long walk -- and I was speed walking."

"Sure." Virgil gave the smallest smile and shifted his gaze to Logan. "You brought Calculator Watch with you."

Patton gave Virgil an unapproving look at the mocking nickname then answered, "Yes. I mean, I couldn't just abandon him in the library, could I?"

Logan cleared his throat. "You easily could have."

Patton waved a hand, ignoring him. "Virgil," he began, "I had this idea: I thought that it would be nice if all four of us from chemistry sat together -- at least once." He put his hands up in a peaceful, understanding sort of gesture. "You don't have to keep sitting with us if you don't like it, but I would like you to try it one day."

Virgil sighed. "And that means going over to fetch Roman, right?" he asked.

Patton nodded.

Virgil hesitated, part of him still not wanting to sacrifice his solidarity. But after a long look at Patton's hopeful face, he could not deny. It seemed to him that Patton's blatant friendliness was becoming his weakness. "Fine," he said. "We'll see how I feel after one day though. I'm not promising anything."

Patton grinned. "Fine by me, kiddo. Now let's go get Roman!"

He began to trek across the pleasant green lawn, finally pulling his hood over his head. Logan followed after him, looking unamused but still complacent. Virgil put his hood back on and fell into step beside the tie-wearing nerd.

"You're not into this, are you?" he asked.

Logan did not turn but his gaze met Virgil's for a short moment. He sighed. "Not particularly. Even starting to sit with Patton at lunch was quite a change for me. I've never really sat with anyone and I wasn't planning on starting senior year."

Virgil was taken aback. "You and Patton are sitting together at lunch now?" He gave Logan an incredulous look.

"You and Roman aren't?" Logan quickly fired back.

Virgil's cheeks heated up and he looked away with a huff, for he had been unaware that anyone other than Patton knew the two boys had spent time together. He didn't know why he was slightly embarrassed by the fact, but he did feel slightly unworthy. It was a rare occurrence that a popular kid such as Roman spent time with an 'emo kid' like Virgil. It was those kinds of things that drew drama and attention -- some of Virgil's worst enemies. He hoped the news hadn't gotten any further and random kids wouldn't interrogate him about it -- especially when he finally came into the view of Roman's intimidating friend group.

Patton had already found Roman by the time Logan and Virgil arrived at the oak tree. He once again felt the skin-crawling sensation of eyes turning to him and tried to shrug off the curious gazes. He found himself wondering what it was like to be unbothered by -- or even enjoy -- the attention.