- 9 -

All throughout chemistry, Logan could hear Roman and Virgil chattering. It was not hard for him to notice the change in interaction between the two, especially since last week. However, he had yet to figure out if this development would end well.

Patton had come into chemistry with a pleasant smile on his face. "Hi Logan," he said. "How are you?"

"Adequate."

"Thanks again for the math help on Friday," Patton said. He flashed Logan another smile. Something was different about him. His body language was less open, he seemed less comfortable.

Logan grew slightly concerned. The boy wasn't sick, was he? "Patton, are you feeling well?"

Patton frowned. "Yeah? I'm fine, Logan."

Logan remained puzzled but trusted Patton's word. He felt foolish trying to diagnose something that wasn't there, but brushed the instance off and started work on the lab with his bubbly partner.

When chemistry was over, Patton and Logan followed behind Virgil and Roman. They both walked in the direction of the cafeteria together, not meaning to, but doing it anyway. When they parted ways, Patton at the door to the cafeteria and Logan at the hall to the library, Patton sighed.

"See ya, Logan." He gave Logan another smile, but this time Logan was sure it was off -- forced, almost.

Logan crossed his arms before the boy could walk away. "Something is clearly wrong, Patton -- unless your personality has impossibly shifted over the weekend. What is it?" He knew there was no need for asking Patton what was going on, but felt obligated to anyway.

Patton pressed his mouth into a fine line. "It's nothing to worry you about, Logan."

For some reason, these words only made Logan feel like asking Patton again. Normally he was satisfied with people's rejection of emotional sympathy -- he rarely concerned himself with others anyway -- but Patton felt different. If he was upset Logan almost... wanted to help.

"Really, Patton, what is the matter?"

Patton sighed again. "I just don't have anyone to sit with at lunch anymore," he said softly. "My friends started dating and... I'm just a third wheel to them. They moved to a different spot without me." He played with the edge of his polo. "I'm trying not to let it get me down but... ah well," he gave Logan a defeated smile. It made Logan feel even worse for the boy. "I'll get used to it. Only half an hour anyway."

Logan paused for a moment, contemplating an outrageous idea. But the question was already on his tongue by the time he thought up the consequences. "Would you care to join me in the library, Patton?" Logan hadn't sat with anyone since... well, for as long as he could remember. He was a loner. Sure, he'd sit with random groups of kids in elementary school, but ever since around seventh grade he'd committed to residing in the library during lunch.

Patton's eyes lit up with pleasant surprise, bewildered for a moment. "Really?" He brought his clenched fists up in a fit of excitement. "I... I'd love to! Thank you Logan!" His grin made Logan feel better.

Logan led the reinvigorated Patton down the empty hallway, still slightly wondering if he had made a mistake. Though he didn't focus his energy or time on social interaction, he could still sense awkward tension. He hoped he wouldn't make Patton feel awkward, for both of their sakes.

The library was chillier than the hallway, as it always was for unknown reasons. It was nearly silent and nearly empty. Very few kids ever came to the library during lunch.

The library itself had wooden floors and rows of rectangular tables down the center of the room. On one side there were bookcases and on the other, community computers. In front of the bookcases, sat on the wall, was the checkout counter, staffed by older women. Windows at the back stood with blinds open.

Logan walked to his usual spot at the very back of the library. As he passed the counters, one of the women -- Mrs. Chávez -- spoke. "Happy Monday, Logan," she said. "Brought a friend with you, I see?"

Logan gave her his usual nod with a hand up to his glasses and said. "Yes, Patton is accompanying me this afternoon."

"Nice to meet you Patton," she said to the boy, causing him to slow down his stride. "I'm Mrs. Chávez." Then, in a lower voice, one that Logan could not hear, she added, "I don't know what you did to make him like you, but you must be a miracle worker. I've never seen him bring anyone else up here in the past three years." She shook her head with a proud -- almost motherly -- look on her face.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Chávez." Patton simply beamed in response, a slight blush rising to his cheeks in pride.

The back of the library was warm and well lit with sunlight. Logan sat down calmly in the stiff wooden chair and Patton sat down next to him. The two pulled out lunch boxes. Normally, the staff didn't let kids eat in the library, but since they had trusted Logan since year one, nobody complained.

Logan cleared his throat. "Usually I just do work back here, but if you would prefer working on more math or simply holding a conversation -- like I have observed people to do at lunch -- I am fine with either."

"Oh, well," Patton scratched the back of his neck. "Math actually would be nice, yeah."

"That is perfectly fine, Patton," Logan nodded, waiting for Patton to take out his math. "You seem embarrassed. You shouldn't be, you know. Everyone has their weaknesses."

Patton chuckled playfully. "Well everyone but you."

"Maybe I'm an exception," Logan said with a smile.

When the bell signaling the end of lunch rang, the two boys packed up and walked back out of the library.

When they passed the counter again, Logan saw Mrs. Chávez shoot Patton a knowing, supportive wink. Knowing and supporting about what, Logan had no idea, but for some reason it made him straighten his tie.

They parted ways again fairly soon, while Patton walked to the across-courtyard math building. Logan bid the boy farewell and walked to his second science class, physics.

For some reason, however, despite loving physics, Logan could not pull his mind away from lunch -- or the hug he had gotten on Friday.