Chapter 33: Family

Your phone rings, it's only 8 in the morning nobody calls you this early, you check your phone and see 3 missed calls from "Mom".

You sigh and call her back, the dial rings while you tap your fingers on Kian's still arm. You hear a familiar voice.

"Oh y/n glad to see you're still living" Your mom answers.

You roll your eyes hard hoping she could sense it through the phone, "Nice to talk to you too mom." 

"Well anyway Your father, siblings and I are hosting a party up in our apartment to celebrate the launch of your sister's clothing line and we'd like you to attend."

"Mmm sounds like hell mom, wonder why I left New York once you moved... it's because of the money." You snap. 

Kian next to you wakes up and mouthes to you asking who on the phone, you mouth back "mom" and he rolls his eyes.

"Oh darling, come on, we need to catch up and reconnect" she coos into the microphone.

You pause for a bit, "When is it" 

"This Friday night," She says with tone.

Kian finally sits up and places his hand on your bare thigh rubbing his thumb over your skin. You smile at him and put your empty hand on top of his.

"So what do you say y/n can I expect you to show?" She says breaking the silence.

"Yes, you can." You reply letting a quiet sigh escape your lips.

"Wonderful!" She sounds ecstatic.

You hang up before your mother starts to talk more, Kian looks at you confused and you begin to explain to him more about your past.

"Alright, So long ago once I left my parents for college they moved out to new york following me and it was terrible, They were rather healthy so I was thrown into a popular squad which just made things very complicated. I hated it" You explain to Kian.

"Los Angeles is so much better, much more relaxed," Kian says.

"agreed," you respond

"but my mom wants me to come up to celebrate her launch of a clothing line" You roll your eyes when you tell Kian.

"I'm going right?" Kian asks

"Yes you're coming"

Kian has never really met your mother, only listened to her conversation, or arguments would sum it up better. You feared the worst like Kian showing up and completely looking lost in New York. 

"Alright we gotta start packing Ki, We leave This afternoon"

Kian gives you a thumbs up and gets out of bed. He moves past you into the kitchen to go eat. You follow. The tile freezes your feet with each step you hurry to the fridge to pull out a yogurt and go sit down at the island.

"I don't get why I have to go, its been years Kian!" you complain, your spoon digs into the yogurt.

"Just go and see how it turns out y/n they still love you but most likely still mad," Kian replies planting a kiss on your forehead.

You twirl your spoon in your yogurt, your stomach stops growling. "I don't have an appetite anymore," you say getting up to return your spoon and cup.

Kian walks up behind you wrapping his arms around your waist and resting his chin on your shoulder. You turn around to look him in the face. you place your hands on his face, cupping his cheeks and press your lips onto his. 

Kian lifts you onto the countertop leaning into you even more still not breaking the kiss. You pull away from him smiling. He is too, he's smiling a dumb goofy smile that you can't help but laugh at.

He looks at you in confusion, "what?" he asks.

"Your smile is so stupid," you say still giggling.

"Oh shut up!" He says pulling you into one last hug.

-time skip-

Everything is packed and Kian has his headphones around his neck his favorite song is playing quietly.

You grab your suitcase in one hand and grab kians in your other, your fingers interlaced together. Kian walks you to the car waiting outside and throws your bags into the trunk along with his. He gets in next to you and your car drives off to the airport.

Its familiar there for both you and kian. you both practically live there, you walk towards the minimart to grab a water and some snacks for the plane ride. The clerk who looks extremely tired swipes your card and forces a smile.

You return to your seat and watch an episode of  (f/s) on your phone and lean your head on kians shoulder. You have no more than 10 minutes until you board your plane. You feel anxious and shitty. You haven't seen your mom in years and you can't remember the last time talking to your dad. It was going to be quite awkward but maybe fun. You weren't sure.

The plane smells fresh and the lights gave a Walmart at 3 am vibe. You slide into your seat and slip on a pair of headphones to turn out the noise of the turbulence. Kian's hand is rubbing your thigh as you drift off to sleep to the music.

-Time skip (again ik I'm sorryyy)-

"Y/n, y/n get up," Kian says tapping your repetitively.

Your eyes crack open, you slept the whole flight although you wish you could've slept more. The anxiety floods in as you exit the plane returning to the airport you left years and years ago.

A sign with your name and kians name is held by a familiar man in a uniform. You smirk knowing it's from mom.

You grab Kian's hand leading him to your driver. You confirm your name him and learn that his name is George. He's been your mother's driver for years now and is very loyal to your family... unlike you. 

The ride was stress-inducing, New York was your home but seems foreign now. You miss Cali a little more now but this was your true home that you loved at one point. The car stops in front of a beautiful townhouse. You sigh and get out the car thanking George. 

The doorman greets you and you tell him you're going up to the (l/n) residence. He smiles and lets you continue. Kian enters the elevator with you and you press the number 17, the funny feeling made you panic even more. This is it. You're finally here and it still stunned you. 

The door cracks open and you see your mother sitting with a glass of wine and a smile on her face.

"y/n so nice of you to get here early." She says putting her glass down.

You smile and put your bags down, The tension only got thicker in the air and you hated it. Nothing has changed much around here and you knew you had a hellish few days to come.