Settling In

BETHESDA,
Central District, 
The Inner Ring,
2420AA.

The sun was up and the light was bright when Havillah's eyes finally cracked open. She looked around with wide eyes before frowning as her memory came back to her.No, it had not all been a dream, she confirmed as she took in the plush-looking front parlor decorated in gold and red. Like the hallway, the walls were white with golden crisscrossed patterns. The upholstery was Scarlett that much she could tell through the translucent furniture covering and the sofa that she had settled on the previous night. 

The marks of luxury were everywhere now that she had visited an ordinary home. From the gilded wall panels, the crystal chandeliers and the high cavernous ceilings that made her feel quite small in her superfluous surroundings. All apart from the coach she had taken to sleep on were covered by white sheets. The white silky fabric of a glossy nature shimmered and shined, appearing spotless even after the many years that the mansion had remained inhabited.

It bothered her quite much that the last inhabitants of this place had taken so much time to prepare for their departure. So much that it made her wonder if the move was meant to be temporary and whether they had been planning on coming back one day to reoccupy these rooms.

From what she had gleaned from the few stories that Killion had told her about the priesthood, Havillah had always assumed that their move had been sudden. A rushed thing, but now, as she looked at it from the inside, she could see that the evidence was pointing differently.

"Why did they leave?" she spoke out aloud for the very first time since the previous evening when she had left Gabriel stranded at her doorstep. She had felt a little remorseful for leaving him, but on another note, she hardly knew what she was walking into and her anger at that point had not allowed her the luxury of reason beyond the point of giving him a choice as if he truly had one. 

Gabriel was a soldier, first and foremost and it meant that he would follow his orders before anything. She had placed him at a crossroads. Forced him to make a choice that soldiers did not usually need to make. Go with her or wait for his Captain.

"Fear for most of the part was a great driving force." the voice told her, once again creeping up on her and surprising her in the most unexpected of fashions.

"I am beginning to suspect that you are not who you say you are?" she complained.

"And who do I say I am Havillah?" the voice chuckled and she bristled at the thought of being made fun of.

"The Light?" she asked doubtfully, not sure if it was just her doubts or the fear of retribution clouding her voice.

"I never said that I was..." it replied. "You just assumed that I was... "

" and yet you did not see it fit to correct me?" she accused it rather angrily.

"The point being?" 

At that, Havillah's jaw dropped." Are you even being serious right now? "she glared back, looking at nothing in particular. Her hands fell to her waist as she took an offensive stance, out to reprimand the owner of that voice.

" Fine." it chuckled. " I am a guide and a messenger of the Light. " it finally conceded.

" And you are made from air?"

" No. Not really but your natural eyes can not possibly hope to perceive me at this stage. However, in due time, hopefully you will reach a level that you can be enlightened."

"My natural eyes?" Havillah was getting more and more frustrated by the minute.

"It is a complicated matter, but one that you will get with time. Right now, let us focus on the present which is getting you fed. As it is, your stomach is rather noisy." it replied, at which her stomach rumbled and Havillah looked around in embarrassment."No need to worry. Believe me, I have seen and heard more disturbing things in my existence."