Chapter |15|

Depuis le début

I couldn't help but laugh at how offended Kevin sounded, "Oh no, here we go again with the guilt trips." Rolling my eyes playfully which only earned a scoff from Kevin.

"I do not guilt trip! You know, Y/n, you're an asshole."

Placing a hand over my heart I frowned, "Aw, was that supposed to hurt my feelings? Because it didn't, I honestly couldn't agree with you more on that one." A smile grew on my face.

Mrs.Thompson laughed and Kevin threw his buttered bread at me but it barely even touched me, it only touched a part of my hand causing some butter to be on that part of my hand.

"Hey hey, the food is meant to be eaten! Not thrown across the kitchen!" She said and I held my hands up.

"I didn't do anything, it's Mr.Kev over here who did it." I stated taking a seat next to Kevin and grabbed a napkin, wiping the butter that was on my hand off then folding the napkin.

"So, Y/n." Kevin's mom began as she took a seat across from us, I looked up at her giving her my full attention. "How has school been for you? I know you seemed to be struggling the last time we talked, but that was a few months ago."

Grabbing my fork I twirled some noodles on it, "I mean, I'm doing better with my grades than I was a few months back."

"Yeah?"

"She has good grades now, I've been making sure she has been focusing on keeping her grades up, mom." Kevin said and I gave him a thankful smile. "She isn't ditching classes as much as she used to, and she seemed to be more happy lately."

"That's great to hear! How about dating? Have you met someone who is worth your while yet?"

I didn't speak until I finished chewing the food that was in my mouth, "I did, but it's complicated."

"How so?" Mrs.Thompson gave me a concerned look, I wish she was my mom, she's a great one.

I glanced in Kevin's direction noticing he was watching and waiting for me to speak, I know he probably doesn't want me to talk about this, I won't tell her she's my teacher.

"Well, um.." Gulping I set down my fork on my plate, "I like girls.. and I met this one girl who is a little bit older than me, she and I sort of became a thing. I think I fell in love with her, but she ended things with me today because she is worried about getting in trouble and hurting me I guess."

Mrs.Thompson had a look of amazement on her face before she reached over and grabbed my hand, "I'm so sorry sweetheart, time will heal things, just focus on something other than this girl, try and move on." I felt her squeeze my hand before she let go.

"Thank you."

*** *** ***

"Hey." Kevin greeted walking into the bedroom I am staying in. "Good morning."

"Morning, I'm almost ready to go I just need to put my papers in my bag." I said stacking all of the papers I had done last night for my classes then sliding them in my backpack before zipping it up.

"Did you sleep okay last night?"

"Yeah, I slept fine. Thank you, how about you?"

That was a lie, I didn't sleep fine. I am so tired, I kept having nightmares all night long and I felt unsafe. Kevin's neighborhood is the most safe neighborhood nearby, but I just don't feel that protection because Lauren wasn't there beside me. I guess I'm going to have to get over that too.

"I was up half of the night reading that stupid book for English. Mom left for work but she made us lunch." He handed me a brown bag with my name on it and I looked inside, an apple, ham sandwich with salami, American cheese, and lettuce, and a bottle of water with a flavor pack.

"Oh my god, she really knows me." I chuckled walking out of the room and heading downstairs and Kevin followed behind.

"She thinks of you like you were her second child, you know."

"I wish she was my mom. I'd kill to have this family, I love it here. Instead I'm stuck with the shitty one I have." I frowned as we both made our way out to his car after we locked the front door.

"Maybe we can I adopt you." Kevin suggested and I basically swallowed down the wrong tube causing me to end up coughing really bad, once it settled down I looked at him with hopeful eyes.

"Really?"

"Of course, but you know we'd have to tell about your mom and David or else it wouldn't work.." He started the car once we were in and I nodded my head.

I'd have to get adoption papers signed wouldn't I? What if my mom doesn't sign them? Or dad?

"Y/n." Kevin says gaining my attention once again, I turn my head to look at him as he was focused on the road.

"Hm?"

"There's this girl I want you to meet when we get to school, I think you'd like her. You both have similar interests." I nodded my head and gave him a small smile when he glanced over in my direction before turning his attention back to the road.

He is such a good friend, I appreciate him so much.