fourteen

LI SHUZHEN'S POV

My legs almost gave up when I heard those words but luckily it wasn't from him. It was from the guy on my right who was going to kiss another girl.

"Xingj - I mean, mister, you can't back out," I heard Mingzhu call out.

"I'm sorry, Mingzhu," The guy - wait - this is Xingjie. "I can't do this. Not here."

I heard Xingjie's footsteps running away as Mingzhu looked for another alternative for the other girl.

I decided to take off my blindfold since I probably know the reason why he doesn't want to kiss her. It's because Chunhua is here.

If my cousin isn't in the crowd, he would've kissed her directly. But he can't do that, right now, because he's being held back by his ex-girlfriend.

I was about to remove it but the guy held my hand. And his touch - was very familiar.

"Don't," He muttered under his breath. This voice. I've heard it somewhere.

"But I -" I tried to argue but instead of saying something back, he pushed me towards him, making our lips meet.

I was right, he tasted like mint. I kissed him back, because the truth is, I felt something. Something I haven't felt with Yanchen before.

His kiss was sending me a message. Something like yearn and longing for someone.

He wrapped his arms around my waist as mine rested on his shoulders, gripping his shirt in the process. It was sweet, unexpectedly sweet.

I ignored the pounding of my heart. I ignored the cries of my mind telling me to stop since I don't even know who it is.

But my heart knows. It completely knows who this person is. And I for sure know that it's him.

We broke apart, needing air and this time I wanted to make sure.

I wanted to know if he felt the same way about me.

I removed my blindfold and rubbed my eyes together. Instead of meeting his eyes, I met the light from the spotlight, "What the hell?"

Mingzhu walked towards me, "Thank you for enjoying the kissing booth! I hope we'll see you again next year!"

"Wait -!" I called out to her, "The guy I kissed. Where is he?"

"Oh, he went somewhere. But he said he was glad he got to kissed you." She says before leaving me standing there.

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

I kicked the rocks as I roamed around the field. I haven't seen Zimo anywhere after that kissing booth thing.

Did he run away because he was too ashamed? Or is he completely ignoring me? Great.

"Xingjie!" I heard Chunhua's voice and I saw her chasing Xingjie towards the playground.

Oh shoot, my timing really is off. I dropped to the ground and crawled, hiding behind the bushes. I'll just apologize to Chunhua later, I mean - I didn't mean to eavesdrop.

"Xingjie," Chunhua called out again. I peeked through the bushes and sas Xingjie facing her. "Why didn't you kiss that girl?"

Xingjie clicked his tongue, "Why do you care?"

"Because when you were scanning the crowd, our eyes met. Then after that, you decided to walk out of the game. Am I - am I holding you back?" Chunhua asked, on the verge of tears.

Xingjie slowly walked closer towards her, "You will always hold me back."

Chunhua took one step back, "But I don't want that. I told you before - I want you to live your own life. Don't mind me."

"How can I? Tell me, Chunhua! How can I when all my mind ever thinks of is you?! I like you so much and it's not easy letting you go,"

"Then you shouldn't have cheated on me," She muttered leaving Xingjie dumbfounded.

"I was -" Xingjie tried to look for the right words but he doesn't know what to say. "I'm sorry, Chunhua. I truly am."

Chunhua gave him a small smile, "Let's just forget about it and have some fun. Today is the last night."

She walked past Xingjie and never even looked back.

"Come out, Shuzhen," Xingjie called out making me stand up.

I removed some dirt on my pants, "You really are an idiot, Zhu Xingjie."

Xingjie chuckled, looking at the moon, "I know. I can't believe I hurt the only person I have ever truly loved. What should I do?"

I shrug, "Maybe make up for it? Like what Yanchen did. Deep in my heart, I know how much Chunhua still cares for you. She just doesn't want to get hurt again, that's why she's pushing you away."