Chapter 27

"You got anything more comfortable than these suits?" Felix asks Aaron after we had been sitting with our dragons for a bit.

"Why don't you just turn off the suit like we did?" Peter asks him, stretching out his legs as he lays on the ground with the rest of us. Felix, Nick, Adam, and I still had our armour on.

"We have to be ready for the kidnapper," Adam tells them.

"We have three hours," Max informs him, not that we already knew that. We had been constantly checking the time while sitting there.

"Fine," I sigh and click off my armor. My suit folds into its watch. We sit behind the bushes by the house.

We sit and talk quietly for the next two and half hours. At 11:00, we all gear up, and Aaron shows us that we can activate Sticky Hands, a system in the suit that makes the boots and gloves sticky so you can climb things. We begin to climb up the side of the house and stop by a window. I lean over the glass and peer into the window. I'm about three inches away from the window, and I see a bed. The woman we say earlier was laying in it next to a strong man. He sits up in the bed and I fly back against the house and lay flat against the siding. The man I saw inside opens the window and leans outside, just resting on the windowsill. I try to quiet my breathing and steady it.

Soon he goes back inside, closes the window, and I gasp, letting out my breath I didn't know I was holding. Max crawls down and looks inside.

"He's laying down again," Max updates us. I lean over and look inside again. I see an analog clock above the door. Uh, oh. Three . . . two . . . one. Midnight. A black shadow runs up to the house and I lean out of the way. It jumps on the house and climbs up it, getting to the window. Max doesn't notice, and when it gets to him, Max looks up and sees it, and the second he does, the shadow creature picks up Max and throws him three stories down and into a stack of cement blocks. We hear a snap from his leg and he falls unconscious.

Skylor reaches out her hand and everyone holds onto it. Everyone turns invisible, and the thing looks at us. It cocks it's head to the side.

Once it decides that no one is there, it phases through the window

Once it decides that no one is there, it phases through the window. It jumps out, holding the strong man we recently saw. It leaps to the ground and runs the second it hits the ground It begins to run. It runs to the huge open field behind the house.

"Get it!" Peter shouts, jumping from the building. We all jump, too. We get to the ground and start to chase after the shadow. Once the shadow's ran about half of a mile, it stops and dropped the sleeping man on the ground.

Suddenly, the ground shook as of there was an earthquake right here in South Dakota. A crack broke from where the shadow dropped the man. The ground split in half and he fell through. A few seconds of nothing occurs and then, a blast of air, no, more like pure energy sweeps across the field, knocking us over. We all sit up, and as we do, a huge fortress begins to rise from the crack in the earth. It continues rising, getting to be miles high. Once it's done, eight men, including the one we just tried to save, rise from the crack, too. They all seem to be in a coma like state.

Suddenly, all of them get armoured with silver, seemingly impenetrable armour. Their eyes glow blue. They all fall on the ground and they get back up and stand in a line.

"There was another prophecy," Aaron states, breaking the silence between the twelve of us. "The night the prophecy for the X-Team was created, there was another one. About the dark lord coming. The Eight Generals. The night the X-Team fell."

"And you didn't think to tell us this?!" Nick screams, freaking out.

"I-I overlooked it," Aaron sputters out.

"Shut up, we gotta move," Kat tells them, standing up. We all stand, too, and as we do, the black night sky is corrupted with a blood red color. Someone opens the big doors to the fortress and a large, strong figure steps out. His head was hooded, and no face could be seen under the hood. The rest of his body was covered in metal armour. His shoulders had spikes on them, and there are red glowing lights all over the armour. A black cape flowed down his back. In the center of his chest was a symbol. The one on the map. Classic supervillan.

"The Shadow Ruler has risen!" The man shouts out. It echoes for as far as I can see. He generates a black staff in his hand, and I gasp. Does he have an element, too?

He hits it on the ground twice, and all falls silent

He hits it on the ground twice, and all falls silent. And it's not like a normal silent. This silent brings death and loss. It feels like all is lost, and nobody's ever getting it back.

Then, tons and tons of the shadow creatures like before fill the field, all standing in a military stance, prepared for battle. The Shadow Ruler hisses a command to the Generals. Then, all of them charge towards us. Oh, crud.