Chapter 14

Adam picks up Nick and he races to the garage. He turns out onto the street with me not far behind. Adam runs to the minivan, which is the storms' third, unused car. Adam opens the door and jumps into the driver seat. I run around and jump into the passenger side, and Aaron, Joey, and Felix pile into the back. Everyone else stands outside as Adam picks up the keys in the car and starts the engine.

"What are you doing?!" Aaron shouts over the starting car. The headlights blare on, and Adam puts the car into drive. "You're fourteen!" Aaron continues to freak out. The car spins in a full circle, and we blast down the road. I buckle my seatbelt and look at Nick. He's lying in Adam's lap, unconscious. Adam is looking at the road with a determined expression. He jerks the wheel to the right and we swerve onto the next street.

"You are insane!" Aaron continues shouting, covering his neck as if he were expecting something to fall on it. The car slams into the side of a building, and scratches the car. This blows the back door off, leaving Joey exposed to the night air.

"Adam!" Joey shouts in fear, climbing closer towards the other side. We pass cars and hear loud honks blaring in our ears. Police sirens echo through the night. I glance at the speedometer and see that we're going ninety miles an hour and rising. Other cars are swerving out of the way, and I look up. I notice a huge tower looming over buildings, its dark features were almost impossible to see in the night. Dark red sections are sprinkled throughout it. What is that?

"Get out of the car!" Adam shouts at us.

"What? No!" Felix shouts back.

"Trust me! Get out in three!" Adam continues. "Two! One!" I pull open my side door and fall out onto the road. I roll onto the street and see the hospital across the street. I stand up and run in, with the rest of them behind me. We all blow into the door and everyone stares at us.

"Joey!" Mrs. Storm runs up and hugs Joey. "What is going on?"

"Hurry, help Nick," Joey says. Adam hands Nick to Joey's mom. She holds him upright, and someone brings over a stretcher and lays Nick on it. They roll him off to another room. We start to follow, but we're cut off as nurses stop us. They tell us to sit down in the waiting room, and we obediently follow. We all sit down in the chairs and wait anxiously.

After what seems like forever, the doors burst open and what look like three alien soldiers stomp in. They're wearing futuristic armor, they look terrifying.

"Bring the X-Team to us instantly," The one in front says in a robotic voice

"Bring the X-Team to us instantly," The one in front says in a robotic voice. As it talks, its red visor blinks lights. My eyes widen. The X-Team? We're the X-team.

"I'm sorry, sir, please do your cosplaying outside," a nurse tells the creatures. I look over and see Adam beckoning us out of the room. I follow and we arrive in a long hallway with rooms on all sides. I run down with my friends and eventually see Nick sitting up in one of the windows. I knock and walk in, immediately going to Nick. He had been knocked out, and the doctors were talking to him.

"Let's go," I say to him, and he stands up we walk out of the room. The doctor is looking at us in confusion. The rest of the X-team is waiting for us outside, and Nick teleports us.

I look up and see the night sky outside of Joey's house again.

"You're back!" Max exclaims, running towards us. Aaron immediately runs to the pile of wreckage and begins digging. He finds something and puts it into his pocket, and runs back to us.

"We have to go. Now," Aaron tells us.

"Elemental Energy spotted. Prepare capture," I hear from behind us. More of the soldiers are walking the other street, and aim their blasters at us.