chapter 1

Thank you for clicking on my book :) hopefully you'll stick around to its end !!

♥ ♥ ♥

I shoved my frozen fingers into the warm pockets of my thick winter jacket. Oh, how I loved New York... Such a beautiful place to live, but damn was it cold.

My feet marched forward as I continued the walk back to my apartment, trying to not let the slippery, icy pavement affect my walking.

I had just gotten off of work, I worked at a Wendy's two blocks down from where I lived. It wasn't adequate enough to live off it but I made it work.

My eyes looked up from up the ground to cross the street. I hadn't made it in time to cross before the sign switched so I impatiently pressed the cross walk-bell as if that would speed up the process. I opened my mouth to let out a shuddering breath, a tiny cloud greeted me as the heat from my mouth escaped to the cold night, I stood there until the cross sign came on, and once the sign changed to the little man, I jetted off to get to the other side of the road. I didn't want to stay outside all alone in the dark.

You never know who or what lurks around during the night.

I cleared my mind, shaking the scary thoughts I had unconsciously slipped into my mind, quickly making my way in front of my apartment complex.

The outside was anything but glamorous. Right in front of the prehistoric building were two dead trees that greeted passerbyers with their jagged branches reaching out towards them. On the pile of snow that accumulated underneath the trees lay burnt out cigarettes and frozen rodents. I quickly looked away, the sight making me lose my appetite. Off near the front entrance was a trash can, which served no purpose as none of the trash was in the can but surrounding it.

My hands latched on to the railing as I made my way up the icy steps. I grabbed onto the doorknob and opened up the lobby door. The familiar aroma of the musty carpet infiltrated my nostrils. I scrunched my nose as I tried to block out the putrid smell.

I made my way to the elevator and pressed the button to take me to the 4th floor. I droned out the crackly old-timey music that played and stepped out once I arrived at my floor.

Being extra careful to not break the ancient elevator. I made my way into the hall turning the corner as I took out my keys, the sound of them jingling being the only thing heard throughout the lonesome complex, and opened up the door to my apartment.

Let's face it. I'm a 20 something millennial trying to make my way through life in New York. I can't really afford luxuries, hell I can barely afford the necessities to feed myself every day. My apartment isn't lavish and decorated like every Pinterest blog.

I pushed open the door, which resulted in it creaking loudly. I switched on the light next to my door and turned to lock the entrance, my hands found their way to the seven locks that adorned the wooden door as I stood quietly locking each and every single one of them, you can never be too careful.

With the keys still in my hands, I dropped them down on the counter, continuing towards my bed, not caring to open up anything in my fridge. I already had ransacked it this morning and to my disappointment, all it contained was spoiled milk and an old orange.