"I want adventure and excitement, Katie, I'm sorry but I haven't felt that in a long time with your brother. I don't want to work on the weekends when all we do through the week is work, I want spontaneous adventures out of the city. Little getaways, I don't want a plan anymore." Katie rolls her eyes at me and keeps drinking her basic frapp from Starbucks.

"But you love him too, isn't that enough? These feelings you're having will pass."

I stare at my best friend. I've been with her brother since I was fourteen, I'm now twenty-four. Ten years of my life I've been with the same guy and it's become a routine of what we do. There's no excitement and adventure. We wake up, go to work, come home together and repeat... every single damn day.

"I'm sorry, but I need some adventure and adrenaline in my life. I'm not you, I don't do boring." With that, I leave my best friend standing on the corner of some unknown street.

I end up heading to the mall by myself on my birthday.

Happy birthday to me!

The mall is warm compared to brisk autumn weather Boston is having.

I make a mental game plan for what I need for tonight since I already have a band tee-shirt and super cute leather jacket that has zippers on it. I know I need some type of shorts even though its autumn, I don't plan on sticking to the wall tonight and nodding my head to the music.

I stumble towards American Eagle in hopes they still have shorts in stock from the summer. I'm thinking this is going to be near impossible.

"How was the shopping trip?" Will is sitting in the dining room with a bunch of papers spread out in front of him.

"Didn't find anything really." I shrug my shoulders as I take a seat across from him. The papers draw my attention and I can see the top of some of them.

The intern essays.

"By the lack of the bags, I could tell." Will hands me a paper, "read this and tell me what you think."

My eyes skim over the content of the essay for the internship at Expode. Will's parents thought it would be great for Will to handle the internship.

"I'm not a fan, I know they are supposed to be selling themselves, but this person is too cookie cutter. I think we need someone who is creative and not so textbook." I hand the essay back to Will.

"I actually liked that one." Will runs his fingers through his hair in frustration. This is a huge deal for Will as it will prove to his parents he's capable of taking over the family business.

"Take a risk. So, what are doing for my birthday dinner tonight?"

"I thought we could go out and get sushi before heading to the concert, but before that, I have another surprise for you." Will pulls an envelope from underneath a stack of essays before proceeding to give it to me.

"What is this?" I take the envelope from Will and cautiously open it. I reach inside and pull out two tickets to Lucerne, "why are we going to Switzerland? I thought my birthday present was the concert."

"Think of it as more of an anniversary present, we leave tomorrow." All I can do is nod my head at the new information as one thought blares in my mind.

He's going to propose.

"I'm going to go get dressed and if you don't mind can we just have pizza here?" I don't stick around long enough for his answer as I head up the stairs.

I throw my purse on the bed before taking a quick shower. I need a little alone time as I feel overwhelmed.

Do I want to get married?

Yes, a thousand times yes, but the real question is do I want to marry William Myers?

I hesitate to answer my own question and I know that if I can't answer myself, I will never be able to answer him.

I finally step out of the shower and push those thoughts from my mind. There's no point in dwelling on a problem that may not even be a problem, yet.

I head into my closet to find inspiration for something to wear. I know what shirt I want to wear and what jacket, but as to the rest I don't have a clue.

I'm standing in the middle of a closet filled from floor to ceiling in clothes, but I can't find anything to wear. Most of the clothes aren't even my style as my style is "improper."

Didn't know ripped jeans and flannels were a bad thing.

By the time I'm done getting ready I can hear voices coming from downstairs.

I take one last look in the mirror at the outfit was I able to create with very little selection.

I'm wearing the band tee-shirt tucked into a black leather skirt that reaches mid-thigh. I had dug through some boxes from when I was a teenager and found a pair of black boots that go above the knee.

To finish off the look I curled my hair and added a dark lip. I feel comfortable with what I have on, I don't feel like I am pretending to be somebody else. I feel like me.

As I step into the kitchen, I first see Katie dressed in the exact dress she had described to me earlier in the day. The red bodycon hugs her in all the right places and the cut outs help emphasize her tone body.

Beside her stands Marshall Abbott, her current boyfriend of three months. He is dressed more appropriately than his date in dark wash jeans and a plain black long sleeve that looks like it was designed for him.

He could be a model for Tommy Hilfiger if he wanted to get out of the hotel industry.

Then there was Will. Like his sister, he was overdressed for the concert with the black suit and tie. Both him and Katie looked like they were heading for drinks at the Lion's Den rather than a rock concert at a dive bar.

"I tried to tell them they were overdressed for the concert." Marshall laughs once he sees me. I look at Katie's face, at the look of distaste, and at Will, who looks unsure.

"Let's just go, the doors are opening soon." I slip my jacket on as we head out the door and to the uber.

Will and I had the pizza like I wanted when I was in between outfits. He didn't argue about having to go out nor did he ever bring up that Katie would be pissed.

The drive to the bar is full of light conversation. Marshall and Will discussing business, Katie and I talking about the fall fashion.

"Where are we? Shouldn't be at the arena like most of the concerts are at?" Katie pulls her jacket closer as she glances around at the people in front of the bar.

"No, this is the place." I smile as a couple walks by, sporting the same band shirt and huge grins on their faces as they talk excitedly about the concert.

I can't help but feel a bit of jealousy as that's all I ever wanted.

Edited by GirlReader133