Chapter 13 - A lot of thinking

I didn't believe this intellectual brat could be so childish. I sort of feel relieved that he's at least normal in this way, but it's still alarming how much he's afraid of his own father. What did that irresponsible old man do that made Cal so unnerved by him?

"You know, you're gonna regret promising that one day." (Cal)

I heard him whisper to me and then silently walked away from me, making the confused looking Triel trail along his back.

Triel looked back, however, and took one good look at me before closing the door.

I didn't think about it too much. Maybe he just needed some time off, probably to cool down or something because there's no way that Cal would be down in the dumps for long. As for Triel.. well, I don't understand that child.

The day after, just as I was complaining to myself about how I'm still all alone, the rarely seen complete sibling entourage led by the heroine herself, Bianca, waltzed into my space.

Yes, my space. I have clear boundaries where I want these children and I myself, an established adult to be seperated by. The weird thing is, Cal was walking right next to Bianca, like the first day I came here, blending in with the rest. I can even see that failure of a knight (duh, who else, it's Tony) beside him, laughing away without a care. Even that red haired brother of mine looked less annoying than before.

What's actually happening? Why do I feel so unsettled? It can't be that I'm jealous of these siblings of mine, am I? I mean, it's true that I may not be accepted YET, but that isn't a deal for someone mature like me.

I've been trying to keep myself from admitting it but, after a week of being ignored and pushed away, I can feel the difference of treatment. The maids don't even treat me like a royal, they gossip behind my back and always avoid me when possible. The people in the castle won't talk to me, father never calls for me unless he needs me for something or when he's up to something bad and Bianca doesn't seem like she has enough time to spare for me. Not that I needed her to include me in her group of jolly friends.

Alright, I confess. I'm feeling very lonely. There hasn't been anyone to talk to normally and the tutoring session begins next week. And it's only Wednesday!

And so here I am, talking to myself again while trying to convince myself that it's not a sad thing to be alone. I haven't felt this melancholic in a while. I had time to think things through.

It's been some time since I came into this place and left my own world but I wonder if there might be a way to get back? Sure enough, this place is great but I miss my old life. Call it being homesick, but I could already feel dampness in my eyes.

I can't believe I'm tearing up. It's lonely, I'm being held behind these huge walls and my only source of socialization, Cal, isn't here. I don't know how to contact the outside world and I have no friends.

I looked at the mirror, still the same black hair with red eyes Mercia. Except now my eyes are puffy and my nose is red. A thought came to me. Did I remember how I looked like? Do I still know who I was? I... I don't know.

I don't want to be alone right now. These thoughts are bothering me and there's no place to seek out answers from. So.. so I ventured out of the palace and into the garden.

I kept walking and walking and walking, and without knowing it I reached the middle square. There was a fountain with a statue holding a jar where water flee out of and the benches around it were made of wood.

I sat down on one of the benches and gazed at the fountain. In a world like this, what should I look forward to? Being in a young child's body meant that most things are out of the picture. To get a job? Well, what kind of job I fit for a throwaway princess?

I sigh, feeling vexed. Is this one of those extinential crisis days?

"Is someone here?" (Stranger)

"Who..?"

A little boy came out from the nearby bushes holding a device of some sort.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that someone was here. Only royals come in and they would be accompanied by lots of servants." (Stranger)

"Well, I'm also a.. a royal."

"You're a royal too?"

"Yeah."

I nodded my head at him and tried to smile a little.

"Hmm.. then why don't you have people serving you?"

"I'm letting them rest."

"Really? That's so nice of you!"

I can't help but laugh a little. The kid is so silly! Hes too naive to be allowed to wander around. What if I was a bad person?

"My name is Mercia."

"I'm Vilanueva. Most people just call me Vil. Are you lost, Mercia? Did you come here by accident?" (Vil)

"Well, I just took a stroll and ended up here."

"What's wrong?" (Vil)

"I just needed some fresh air."

Hmm, maybe today won't be so lonely after all.

"What do you think about becoming my friend?"

"Well, alright, let's be friends. Nice to meet you, Mercia." (Vil)

"Nice to meet you too."

I almost want to scream out loud. Can't you see how normal kids interact? All you have to do is tell them your name and you're already a friend. So why isn't any of my siblings as simple as this? Can't they act nire like children?

"Mer, let's go!! I want to show you something I found not too long ago, it's super cool!!" (Vil)

Do you see how this child could be so cute?? This is what a child should be doing at this age. Also, Vil doesn't look so bad. He's got brown hair and black eyes, a typical combination where I came from and he's got these cute freckles and I can't tell you how much his aura of happiness affects me.

It's this great feeling of freedom, like nothing's weighing you down. Being near a normal kid is making me feel like one too.

Really, I feel less homesick around him and I also feel stress free. This guy, he..he...he's perfect!! The perfect friend!! He's like a stress reliever!

"Let's go!"

I couldn't help but run around with him, going here and there and looking at the things he'd collected over the years.

"Vil, is one of your parents a gardener?"

"Hmm..no, they're merchants. I come here sometimes when they need to discuss slot of things with alot of people."

"Alot of things?"

"Yeah! I don't know what they're discussing but I'm allowed to come here to play."

"Next time you come here, you have to tell me. Like, send a bird or something."

I don't know what people use here to communicate so I just assumed bird were trendy. Vil didn't seem to have a problem with it so maybe I was right.

After spending a whole day with Vil, I had to dejectedly walk away from him because he had to go. It was so fun! I don't mind being a kid again if my days were this fun.

Waving him goodbye, I walked back to the castle step by step with my tiny feet. I almost feel like my feet would fall off by the time I reach the doors to the castle. In these times I wished one of the maids would come help, instead of staring at me from a distance.

Like how they are doing right now.