|12|

|| Wong Lucas ||

The halls were littered with people. But not anyone who would catch my eye. I saw Sasung with Jeno and they paid me no mind. Maybe it was only Jungwoo who brought us together as a group. I should have known that since they haven't said one word to me since that day at lunch.

Then from the corner of my eye, I can see Taeyong's practically white hair coming at me. I turn and prepare myself for the playful punch he sent straight to my gut. "It's been a while, kid. Where were you all yesterday? Did Yuta scare you off?" I shake my head while rubbing my aching core.

Nayoung appeared right next to him with a smile on her face. She then winked at me before clinging to Taeyong's arm. "Lucas is too busy with the freakshow to pay any attention to us," she spoke in a rather seductive tone. I know they just got done taking care of each other before getting dressed for school.

"That's not true. I'm spending time with you both right now." I motion to our little circle. I knew I should have been a bit more honest. "So Taeil gets out today? What time?" I pretend to look at a clock. Taeyong and Nayoung look at each other and shrug. "Okay. Guess that isn't the most important topic..."

"Lucas!" Injoon shouted with Sasung right on his heels. "God, buddy. We were looking all over for you!" Sasung pushed past Injoon while he was screaming in all of our faces. Then like a muscle man, he yanked me away from Taeyong and Nayoung. "We have a project to do. Remember?"

All I could do was stare at them in bewilderment. Taeyong didn't look to pleased with me being dragged all around by Sasung but he was older and I wasn't going to argue. He has to be putting on a show for a reason. "Yuh- yeah?" I stutter while looking at his hand wrapped around my wrist. "That's why I was standing by my locker... looking for the both of you."

Taeyong groaned loudly which made Nayoung let him go. "How often are you going to be with them?" His eyes glared into Sasung and Injoon's soul like a hawk eyeing his prey. "Because when Taeil calls us today, he wants all of us there. Not partially."

I look at Sasung and I couldn't quite tell if he wanted me to agree or disagree. I followed my gut like always. "And I'll be there." Taeyong nodded once and left immediately. Nayoung struggling to keep up with him. "Why'd you lie?" I turn to Sasung not even minding my informal language. "Taeyong is going to hate me now."

"You're worried about Taeyong when you should be worried about Jungwoo. He's only trying to be your friend because he thinks you stopped hanging out with Taeyong. We told you not to blow this." Injoon jabbed my chest at the end of his scolding. "He hasn't told you has he?"

"Obviously not." I tune in waiting for some details.

"Jungwoo's background at his home isn't really—"

Jeno slapped his hands on either one of the two boy's shoulders and squeezed his head in between their space. I stepped back only out of fear of how close he was getting. "Is there a reason we're all crowded around here and not heading to class?" Sasung rolled his eyes towards Jeno who was goofy smiling. "I mean, that is why you two ditched me, Sasung.You said it was an emergency and that you had to get to class immediately." He then looked me in the eyes while adding, "but you all ran towards your new friend instead."

Injoon shrugged Jeno's hand off his shoulder and walked away.

"Watch who you hang around. My friend isn't like you, Lucas. He takes things to heart. He takes people to heart," Sasung warned. Jeno followed behind his friends while glancing back at me for a split second.

"The author wants to strike fear of imprisonment in his readers. He wants us to feel what the main character Jei feels whenever he walks out into the real world yet gets thrown back in jail with this never-ending loop. They want us to know their intentions, their goals, and what drives them." The teacher paced back and forth in the front of the room while preaching to us about Forever and A Forest. "Let me hear it. Let me hear some goals!"

A wave of hands flew up and mine wasn't one of them. Just as he was getting ready to call on a student, Jungwoo broke in. Black hoodie hanging off his body and hair all over his head. Everyone watched him in bewilderment.

"You're new to my class and you start your second day late?" Jungwoo bowed but that wouldn't ease the situation. Teacher-nim lets anything slide but not interrupting a lesson. "Can you tell me a goal that Jei has? A motive?"

"Uhm..." I stare at him hoping an answer would fly from my brain into his. "Escape?" The teacher and all of us went quiet.

"...have you read?" exclaimed teacher-nim. Jungwoo nodded softly. "Then that is your pass. the answer is your pass. Go have a seat."

I moved my bag quickly and allowed Jungwoo to take his place. "You walked?"

"Yeah," he sighed out of breath.

"No wonder you weren't on the bus I thought you got here early."

Jungwoo smiled weakly. "No, I didn't have any mo— I woke up late and my dad left for work before I could ask for a ride. But it's fine. I'm... what page are we on?" I point to the number in the book while watching him flip to it quickly. He was still gasping and chest heaving like he ran a marathon. From the distance of our home to school, I understand why.

I pulled out my water holder, still cold and filled with ice. "Please, have some. I don't want you to be dehydrated." He looked at the water bottle then back up at me like I was offering him drugs or something. "I haven't drunk it yet if that's what you're worried about?" I motioned it back to his face.

Jungwoo took it with much hesitation and started to devour every drop. The sweat from his forehead ran down the side of his face to his stretched out neck. Delicately over his Adam's apple With each gulp, his adam's apple followed. Soon enough I felt myself licking my own lips. Dying to taste the water after him. That simple action took me further from the lesson—

"Wong Yukhei!" I jump forward and Jungwoo dropped the bottle from shock. It fell right on my lap and all its contents poured out of it. "You two are busily flirting up the back of the classroom. Maybe putting you two next to each other wasn't such a good idea." He took his time to inspect the chairs that all had bottoms in them. "Mark, why'd you move?" He pointed to the clueless blonde who scrambled to put away his phone.

"Oh, uh... I wanted to give our new member the best seat in the house. What's better than a seat next to Luscious Lucas?" The class went into an uproar of laughter but it only earned Mark a sneer stare from the teacher.

"Move. Back." Mark quickly did as told and took a seat next to Lucas as Jungwoo took his seat next to Yaebin.

Lucas stared at the boy from afar despite the cool wetness on his pants. Inside him, he felt the pounding rush of jealousy when Yaebin immediately started talking to Jungwoo. Unlike the cold face and answers he gave Lucas... Jungwoo smiled at her in return.