New Alliances

(30)

"We uh we are here," the soldier says, clearly uncomfortable because of our conversation. Once the van stops, the soldier gets out and helps each of us out before throwing Nolan's arm over his shoulders and helping him walk inside. As soon as the first of us cross over the threshold questions start flying out. I already had a headache, and this wasn't helping.

"Hey! Give them a minute to come in and sit down. Everyone back off." I hear Cyrus's loud voice echo through the entrance just as Nolan and I enter. I look at Cyrus, remembering Blakes words earlier. I can't help but feel sad for him, now that I knew how exactly his wife died, that's all I could think about. You dedicate your life to someone only to have them taken away from you way too soon.

"Shit Nolan," James says coming forward. He stops in front of the soldier, holding eye contact with him for a minute. Before shaking his head, a little and everting his eyes. "I'll take him." He mumbles before taking Nolan's arm off the man's soldiers and placing it over his own.

"Thank you." I say to the man as he watches James and Nolan walk off. He looks back down at me and nods.

"Be sure to keep his wound clean, we don't have many antibiotics to spear." He says and pulls a bottle out of his pocket. "You didn't get these from me." He says before walking back to the van, closing the back door, and driving off.

I put the bottle in my pocket and catch up to James just as he lowers Nolan into a chair in the ballroom. "Mazlynn!" I hear my mother yell. I look up to see her and my father making their way across the ballroom in a hurry. She engulfs me in a hug causing me to groan in pain. She pulls away quickly, cupping my face in her hands as she examines my face.

"It's okay mom, I-"

"Who did this? I'll kill them." My father says looking between Nolan and I.

"We are okay. There was just a small blip in the plan." I say and chuckle, causing to me to groan once again as my ribs rub the wrong way. "I need to say a few words, stay with Nolan." I say, moving out of my mother's arms and up in front of everyone. "This might be hard to believe judging by the looks of us, but the talk with Katoka went well. The council still needs to discuss a few things before I explain everything. I think what would be best right now is for everyone to give a couple minutes to discuss and then I promise we will answer all of your questions." I say before moving back over to Nolan. "Can you guys take Nolan back to his room? He needs to rest." I say looking at two guys sitting behind Nolan. They nod, and each take an arm before helping him out of the room.

"Are you really not going to answer our questions?" My father asks, crossing his arms.

"I will, I just don't have all the answers right now. I need to talk with them and come up with the plan for the future before I try to answer any questions. I don't have all the answers right now, dad." He shakes his head a little, but my mother touches his arm and give him one of her world-famous looks. He sighs and nods walking off, followed closely by the woman herself.

"So, what did she say?" Alec asks, pulling a chair over.

"Not a lot, she told me she was going to kill all of you if I didn't convince her we weren't just pathetic people. I told her our story and that even though we hated each other we had a common enemy, Westbrook. She agreed and told me that they were having trouble locating and getting to him. They know he's in Arizona, but not much more than that. She admitted that she needed our help, but as you heard she's talking to her people about what exactly that entitles." I say lowering myself into a chair. I was already sore, and I imagine that's only going to get worse as the day goes on.