Twenty Minutes

(28)

"You have twenty minutes to convince me that you are not another pathetic being on this planet. If you fail to do so, you will watch each of them die then you will be placed in a cell and left to rot."

"Katoka, don't be ridiculous." Maddox begs from beside me.

"Sh, the adults are speaking." She smirks, not even glancing his way, "Well go on, Mazlynn is it?" She questions crossing both her arms and legs, a smirk growing across her face. In all the old movies I had watched, I thought it was ridiculous how emotional some of them got. They go to face the bad guy and practically break down in tears, sharing their life story and why that person had wronged them. I always thought it was an overreaction, but standing here now, in front of me would be bad guy, I was ready to explode. Not in the sense that I break down in tears, but in anger. I could kill her right now. This all seemed like a game to her and that only made me madder.

I nod, pulling myself away from Maddox to stand on my own. The adrenaline pumping through my veins right now was enough to numb the pain.  "Contrary to what you might think, we came here to make peace." I don't know if that's what I want anymore but it was the original plan.

"Peace? Ha, you have a funny way of showing that. You sneak through my building to my room in the middle of the night carrying guns and expect peace?" She asks.

"We tried to sneak through so there wouldn't be a fight. We didn't want anyone to get hurt, the guns were a last resort. I forgot I even had it until your man threw me through a table and it stabbed into my back."

"You're wasting your time." Smug bitch.

I sigh and take a moment to compose myself. The last thing I needed was to yell at her and then have her execute my friends one by one. "I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting me to say. Or maybe you want me to get mad, want me to yell at you, to try and fight you. It would give you an excuse, a reason to hate us." She goes to protest, but I stop her. "You're only giving me twenty minutes to save my friends lives, so you don't get a second of that." I say, causing her to smirk once again and nod before leaning back in her chair to listen to me speak. "I'm from Minnesota, I lived a simple life, hell I just graduated high school. Before this war my biggest problem was deciding which college, I wanted to attend. I didn't pay attention to politics much because everyone in the government is corrupt. I don't like any of them, and I don't agree with any of them, but there's nothing I could do to change it. Then you dropped bombs on us and everything went to shit. At the same time though, you gave us an opportunity to start over and do things right.

"One of your men had shot my friend Alec who you're currently torturing in the basement. I stitched him up in the middle of the night and the next morning I woke up to Enzo pointing a gun at me. Alec hit him with something and knocked him out long enough for us to bring him back to my house. Alec's father, Griffin, beat him while trying to get him to talk about what had happened and what was going to happen. He wouldn't speak so I made them leave and tried to just talk to him to get the information. He told us about a camp that could help us defend ourselves, that could help us fight you. When we got there after a long-complicated couple of days we found out they were one of your camps. I could have killed Enzo that day. I had trusted him to keep my family safe knowing he was once part of your army, but he told us he had ran off. When we found out about the camp we realized that meant he knew they were yours and lead us there to die.

"After we talked through some things we decided instead of trying to fight you guys, we would reason with you. For close to twenty days, we walked half the day and trained the rest. We have more people, they were all going to be here, but we decided that would look like an act of war. So, my brother, my childhood friend, a badass woman I had just met, a traitor I'd learned to trust again, and a man I care way too much about came together and decided to risk their lives to talk to you, to reason with you, because we don't want to make the same mistakes everyone else had. We said goodbye to our friends and family to come here and try to make something of the shitty world Westbrook made for us. We are all prepared to die because we want something better for those we would leave behind.