Practice Makes Perfect

(24)

This feels like the haunted houses my friends and I use to go to." I say, as we return to the end of the hall for what seems like the fiftieth time. "I'm just waiting for someone in a clown mask to jump out." I chuckle and look over at Maddox. He's smiling, but looks confused.

"Haunted houses?" He questions.

"Like the ones that open around Halloween?" He just shakes his head still confused. "You've never been to a haunted house?" I ask amazed. "When this is all over, we are building one and you're going to experience the joy that is getting the poop scared out of you."

"That doesn't sound like fun to me." He mumbles as Alec and Blake come out of the hall once again. We start down the hall, this time keeping closer to the wall, ready to duck into a room if we need to. We make it past the first guard just as he starts counting. Maddox grabs my arm and tugs me into a run as we jog to the stairwell door. Maddox pretends to swipe a card before pulling the door open. We close it just as the guard gets to the hallway. Starting up the stairs again, we make sure to watch the windows on the doors to each floor making sure there's no one there before heading up the next flight. Once we get to the top floor, we find Alec and Blake at the far end.

"Hello dearest sister, I am alive and would like to request the opening of this door. If it pleases thee, of course." He jokes. He has had a different little speech planned for each rep.

"Brother!" Dirk yells, pushing the door open causing us all the laugh. Maddox and Dirk hug shouting about how they love each other. Everyone slowly starts to join us on the top floor, joining in on the laughter as well. The two of them pull apart with smiles on their faces as we look back to Sage and Nolan.

"I'd say we are getting pretty good at this. Dirk has only rejected Maddox once." I joke, earning more laughter from the others.

"I nearly cried." Maddox says, looking over at Dirk.

"You demanded I open the door, I am the princess here!" Dirk protests. Even Sage lets a chuckle out at that.

"We should be taking this more seriously. You don't want to be caught sneaking around, President Church would not be very happy." Enzo cuts in. "It'll be hard to keep an eye on all of you at the same time, you can't rely solely on me. The real guards won't give you a ten count." He crosses his arms as he leans against the wall, having successfully killed any joy left in the room.

"On that note, it's getting pretty late, lets run it once more then head back. Tomorrow we can do a little last minute training, make sure the radios work right and everything. For the most part spend time with your loved ones. Enzo is right, if we get caught tomorrow it won't be good." Sage says, looking around at everyone. Not even a hint of a smile is on anyone's face as the thought of being caught enters our minds. For the most part we hadn't been caught by our mock guards, but that doesn't mean we won't get caught by the real ones, the trained ones.

"Reset guys." Sage says breaking the silence. We make our way back down, some break off on different floors to act as the guards. Maddox make our way down the hall once again preparing to climb up the ten flights of stairs once again.

"Everything will be fine Mazlynn. They won't kill anyone without my sisters permission, all of you will make it out of this. I assure you, my sister will listen to what you say."

"Can you assure me she will agree?" I ask under my breath. He goes to speak again, but Alec and Blake pop out of the hallway and make their way to the stairs.

-----------

"No! That is not how it happened! I know you put her up to it, she was like 3. No way that was her idea." James exclaims with a smile on his face.