Chapter 33 - Waiting

Edit; I found some really stupid mistakes so I just fixed them. Sorry!

~ Tsukino ~

At least Kimoko did not have a pipe in her hand twenty-four seven. Here, I could breathe in fresh air without the problem of chocking on smoke from pipes. But Kimoko did like to chew herbs for some reason. A reason I would not question her on.

Kimiko felt the same way Tsubaki felt about her; she hated her. But she did not judge, unlike Tsubaki. She kept her opinions to herself.

"You want what exactly?" Kimiko asked with a raised brow. Her teeth were becoming stained because of the herbs she chewed. Apparently, they helped with internal things. "A powder that cannot be detected in a drink that messes with the mind?"

I nodded my head quickly. "Something that will mess with the senses long enough for me to land in a killing blow. And not being able to be detected by any tests."

"Don't you think you're asking for a bit much?" I gave Kimiko a small smile. "Well then, I've always liked a challenge. I'll do it!"

"Thank you very much," I replied, bowing down. "Would you like even more of a challenge and have it done by tonight? And deliver it to Tsubaki?"

A frown in reply. "The first I'll do but the second one... No way."

"Come on!" I slightly shouted. "I know you and Tsubaki don't get along-"

"We'd most probably burn down a building," she piped, a grin on her face. "...Fine, I'll do it. Only because you asked."

I opened my mouth but was stopped midway. "And I have the paste for you if you want to pick it up now."

"I'll come back another time," I explained, "I will be busy all day today. And night."

"It would seem so," Kimoko said, frowning. Shaking her head, she waved a hand in dismissal. "Well then, off you go now Tsukino."

Giving a nod in goodbye, I left to go get another thing; a dagger. I would not be able to hide my blades under the kimono without notice. So I would have to go with something smaller, lighter. So I could pull it out and slice his throat without trouble before he could see what I was doing.

It was risky. The entire thing was. If he saw me grab the dagger, he would alarm someone. Anyone. Being careful was something I was good at, being an assassin, but some men were observant.

All I could do for the rest of the day was plan this out carefully. Be ready for every possible outcome and somehow find a way to move around it. It was still early; I had enough time to do it.

~ Heisuke ~

"What?" I looked at Sano and Shinpachi, who were grinning like maniacs. "We're going where?"

"Come on Heisuke!" Shipachi said, slapping me on the back. I grunted from the force. "Apparently, there's a new maiko there who hasn't been used. And she's a real beauty!"

I frowned. "Guys, you do know-"

"That you like Tsukino?" Sano said, finishing off what I had been about to say. "Yes, yes. But we're going there to enjoy ourselves! There's no harm in that."

"I still don't like it," I murmured. "What if she-"

"Stop complaining!" Shinpachi shouted. "Hijikata-san is letting us go out! This is a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing! You're coming with us, Heisuke, whether you like it or not!"

Frowning at the two, I mumbled under my breath. I just hoped Tsukino was ok. That she wasn't in trouble.

~ Tsukino ~

I waited. It was now dusk, the sun settling and the moon rising high into the sky. In only a few minutes, hours even, I would commence my job. I would assassinate and kill the man who deserved it.

I didn't feel anything. Guilt or sadness or sympathy. He deserved it. The man had traded women and sealed their fates. There terrible fates of a life of slavery and pain.

I sat down on my knees, hands resting in the various folds of the silk kimono. My hair had been left down with many flower ornaments adjusted into the tangled blackness.

My face... My lips had been painted a blood red, and black kohl lined my eyes, making them stand out more. Pink had been dusted onto my cheeks as well; I did not like how I looked.

And the kimono... It was beautiful, that much I had to admit. It was of a pale purple and blue, silver blossoms decorating the sleeves of it. Branches of black wrapped around my waist with more of the flowers, and even more scattered around the edge of the kimono.

Tsubaki looked at me with a wide smile, a pipe between her lips. "Wonderful. Maybe I should recruit you and have you here permanently."

I smiled, shaking my head. "I am afraid not." Her grin widened even more.

"You smile, Tsukino," she murmured softly. "A true, beautiful smile."

In the past, the smiles were all fake. I had only started to smile in the past month, all because of the Shinsengumi. My...friends. Family even.

"Don't you ruin your face!" I blinked. I had been on the verge of crying. Softly, I laughed, blinking my eyes quickly to get rid of the tears. It was better not to have them spill over my eyes like a waterfall over a cliff.

"Thank you," I said softly. Tsubaki smiled in answer, shaking her head with the pipe between her fingers. Standing up, she walked towards the sliding door, opening it.

"I guess I've got to look out for our VIP guest. I'll leave you alone for a bit." After that, Tsubaki left me to be by myself.

I felt for the small blade hiding in the sleeve of the kimono. The cool blade touched my skin, sending a shiver up my arm.

This night would go according to plan... Or it was going to get very, very messy. I hoped it was the latter of the two choices.