Chapter 1 - Ikedaya Inn

I gritted my teeth in both pain and anger. I couldn't move from were I was, my body was numb. I was most probably paralysed from the pain. I was in such agony, laying flat on my stomach. There wasn't even a word to describe the pain I was feeling, but it hurt so bad.

  "Tell us where he is, then we'll let you live, for as long as your body can." A man looked down at me, his eyes filled with pure hate and deception. He and his friends would let me live? Ha!

   I rasped a laugh, the only noise possible to come from my sore throat. I had been screaming for help, but it had been no use. No one had come to help me then, and no one would help me now as well.

   "I'll never, ever, tell you, where he, is..." I choked on my own words, blood spilling from my mouth. I just wanted all of this pain to go away, I was ready to die.

   "It's such a shame. We'd have let you live for as long as your body could in its state. You'd might've even survived! But that would only be a miracle."

   "It doesn't matter, to me... I'm already...at deaths...door..." My eyes fluttered shut, the only thing around me was darkness. I could faintly hear the men in front of me curse about something, but it was too hard to decipher. But then, the pain slowly went away, as well my hearing, and then my mind.

~ ? ~

(A/N - I won't be starting from the very beginning of the anime. This will start at the Ikedaya Inn when everyone has just ambushed the place. I'm just really lazy to write it from the start plus I can't remember how it goes, sorta. And sorry if it isn't exact, I'm trying to remember this from the top of my head.)

I watched from the shadows of the alleyway. The Ikedaya Inn had just been ambushed by the Shinsengumi. Why? I did not know. I kept to the shadows most of the time, only seeking out information that I needed. And tonight, I had been in the right place at the right time.

Most times, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was the first time in a very long time that I was partially enjoying myself. It wasn't very often when something like this happened.

I looked over at the Inn, screaming, the sound of metal against metal ringing in my ears. And the strong smell of blood. I had never gotten used to it, and I never would.

My eyes narrowed when I felt the strong presence of someone I knew all too well. I let out an annoyed huff, placing my hand on the hilt of my sword that was by my waist on the right. I pulled the dark hood over my face farther, blending in with the shadows. I guess it was my time to go in.

I jumped off the roof, my black cloak fluttering in the wind. I landed solidly without stumbling, already running in the shadows right towards the Inn.

I was in the Inn within seconds, already running up the stairs to the second floor. The smell of blood made me gag, but I held it in. Later, later I'd let it out. 

I was about to get to the other room when someone came flying towards me, along with the door. I narrowed my eyes, this guy had tried to kill me. Kami. I looked at the guy in front of me who was responsible for the door and the other person, a snarl on my hidden face. Him.

    Within a flash, I drew my sword by my side, bringing it down to cut through his shoulder with Moeru Kage (Burning Shadow). His arm came in front of him, blocking my sword. I drew back as quick as I came and went to hit him again within the blink of an eye, aiming for his waist this time. His eyes widened, most probably at the speed of my attacks.

   I tried hitting him in vital points, points that would slow him down. But, every time I went to hit him, he deflected it without a problem. I sighed quietly under my breath. This dance with the devil was going to go on forever. But who was the devil?

~ Heisuke P.O.V ~

   I groaned at the pain. That guy had just thrown me through a wall, with just a punch to my forehead protector. Who the hell was this guy? What was with that strength?

   I saw a flash of black attack the guy before it retreated and attacked again. Better question. What the hell was that? I could only see black as it attacked with their sword, striking the man before me. He was just as shocked as I was that they were keeping up with him. He was really strong.

   "Who are you," the man asked the thing. The thing said nothing, only focusing on any openings that were given, which wasn't many. Whoever they were, they'd lose not just the match, but their life too.

   "Leave! You're not gonna win this fight!" I yelled out to the shadow. It stopped for a brief second, the guy who I had just faced going to punch them in the gut. They jumped back, right near me, where I got a closer look at what it was.

   It wasn't a what, that was for sure, but a who. He wore a black cloak that covered his face and body, the only thing visible was half his hand, which was clad in black arm gear, and their sword. It was just black, even the blade, which looked like a living flame. It was a masterpiece.

   The guy who he'd just been fighting bowed and disappeared, not a trace of him. I looked over at the other person, who was now putting his sword away. I noticed that it hung on his other side, his right. Was he like Hajime-kun, a left-handed user?

   The guy made his way towards the window, about to jump down from it. I moved stiffly, the pain very...painful. I called out to him, "Who are you?"

   The figure turned to me, nothing visible under that hood. He reached inside his cloak, pulling out a piece of paper. He threw it at me, which landed not far from me. I strained my arm to grab it, which hurt, slowly unfolding the piece of paper.

   A dead man doesn't tell stories... I looked up again, only to see that I was by myself, the figure gone.

*Edited 24/9/18*