Chapter 23 ~ A Path Of Paper And Fire

~ Tsukino ~

It had been a few hours since we came to the festival. I had been with Heisuke most of the time, passing by the others every now and then. I had gone off with Chizuru, both of us getting treats for ourselves before we went back to Heisuke and Toshizo. I had a feeling that the 'love' Chizuru spoke about also applied to her and him.

We had passed by Hajime and Souji as well. Souji had found a 'gift' that he said I would like. It was a fox mask that covered the top half of the face, anything under your nose visible. The whole of it was white, red decorating it and making it look like a fox.

 The whole of it was white, red decorating it and making it look like a fox

I had accepted the gift, hesitant. Heisuke had persuaded me to take it as well, saying that it was an act of kindness. So, sighing and shaking my head, I had accepted it, an act of kindness. Souji's grin had widened, making my eyes narrow as I turned around and left.

I hid the string under all my hair, keeping the fox mask on the side of my head. I did not know how to do it myself, so with the help of Heisuke and Hajime, I had gotten it on. It had taken a lot, as I had my hair down and it was quite lengthy. Such a troublesome thing.

"Tsukino!" I looked up at Heisuke as he grinned, grabbing my hand. In one swift motion, I picked up a bundle of my dresses kimono, holding it above the ground as Heisuke walked forward quickly. It was hard to move it things like these, taking long strides not a possible thing. And the shoes I was wearing. Oh god, I hated them more. They were impossible to walk in.

We went through a crowd of people, passing and squeezing through as I was dragged by Heisuke. It was hard keeping up, as I was nearly separated from him a few times. Thankfully, he stopped every now and then before he ripped my arm from its socket.

"We're nearly there," Heisuke said. I was busy looked over at a stall that was selling little ornaments, some catching my eye. It seemed Heisuke noticed, sighing. "There's still time before it happens..."

I smiled this time, I dragged Heisuke behind me. A little bit of reverse psychology, if that was the word. I stopped in front of the store, looking over all the items that interested me. If I was thinking correctly, Heisuke was a few feet away, watching maybe.

I reached into the pockets of my kimono sleeves, grabbing a small pouch with coins. Opening the drawstring bag, I looked inside, seeing enough money to buy a few things. Three or four at most. It would be enough anyway, I did not need many things in life. I could live fine with just the clothes on my back and my swords.

I picked up a silver comb, something so simple and small. It fitted in my palm perfectly, a greyish silver with a dragon and phoenix on it, meeting at the center. A small, yet important, object that would not be a hassle if I were to carry it on my personnel.

 A small, yet important, object that would not be a hassle if I were to carry it on my personnel

I placed it down gently, picking up another object. It was a simple golden hairpiece. Just a thin gold rod with a blue jewel attached on the tip of it.

Grabbing the silver comb from before, I paid for both items quickly and silently

Grabbing the silver comb from before, I paid for both items quickly and silently. Turning around, I walked over to Heisuke as I quickly stashed the comb into my sleeve. I looked up at him, his eyes cold and hard. Like something was bothering him.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. Heisuke gave me a faltering smile before he sighed, pointing at my hands. My bandaged hands. "Oh. Nobody can see them if I hide my hands." I clasped my hands together, the fabric overlapping and covering my hands completely.

"I know, but seeing them just..." I walked forward, looking at him from the corner if my eye. Heisuke quickly caught up with me before I disappeared in the crowd.

"I think I understand," I said. "If someone were to hear about another past, a past that is filled with horrors and things that make another person pity, then it is understandable. Looking at my hands...I sometimes..." I sometimes see it happening, over and over.

Heisuke shook his head as he grabbed my hand, his grip tight yet...gentle. A feeling that was familiar yet so foreign. A feeling that sent shudders down my spine, the thin hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Why? Was it because it felt familiar?

My eyes widened at the sight in front of me. Rows and rows of paper lanterns, forming an archway, stretched on and on. The paper glowed as the fire lighted in the lanterns burned bright, a crackling noise accompanying it.

"Like it?" I nodded my head as I walked through, looking up at the lanterns hanging above my head. It would have taken so much time to set this up. "This isn't the best bit of the night though, from what I've heard."

"I know," I whispered. I knew there was going to be something else tonight. Something very special in my view.