Chapter 19 ~ Asking Tsukino

~ Tsukino ~

It was a new day. Yesterday Chizuru and I had walked around the compound for a while, talking to each other about things that did not really interest me. Small talk in other words. There was not much to talk about these days. It was calm, there was no Kazama in sight.

"Oh, Tsukino!" I looked at Chizuru who was beside me, both of us watching the cherry blossoms. It was a little hobby that I have always had, watching the cherry blossoms my earliest memory. "There's a festival in a couple days and the Shinsengumi is going! Why don't you come?"

I looked ahead of me, my eyes following one flower as it made its way onto the water in the pond, a ripple going around it. In a few days... That would be the end of the week, Sunday. And this Sunday...

"A festival?" I asked. Chizuru hummed in agreement. "Yeah! Sano told me about it. The Starlight Festival, I think that's it. There's meant to be a special event happening, but nobody knows when."

I let out a breathy laugh. I knew what was happening, and when. "Starlight Festival? And it is when?"

"Tomorrow," Chizuru replied. I nodded my head, letting Chizuru know I was listening. Time went by so quick it seems. Tomorrow the 'Starlight Festival' was on, and a special event would be happening. It did sound fun.

I frowned. Kazama had taken me to a festival before, one that sounded very similar to this one. But, I was not with him. I was with Chizuru and the others. There was nothing to worry about. Right?

"Are you gonna come, Tsukino?" Sighing, I shrugged my shoulders. "I do not know. Maybe I will go, maybe I will not. It all depends on how I am feeling. Anyway, tomorrow is a 'special' day for me."

Chizuru nodded her head. "What will you wear if you are going, Chizuru? Please do not tell me you plan on going the way you are now." Chizuru laughed sheepishly as I shook my head in disappointment. This girl...

I grabbed her by the arm. "Then we will go shopping for a kimono," I stated. "I do not want you being dressed up as a boy for this festival. You can dress up as a girl once in a while. If you do then I will consider going."

I heard Chizuru laugh as I dragged her out of the compound. I did not bother with putting a cloak on, as I was wearing the black kimono with the orange flowers. The one Heisuke had gotten me. The other one was too special. Maybe I would wear it to this festival?

We arrived in town after a while, walking a bit quicker than normal. I had made sure to bring money this time as I would be paying for Chizuru's kimono. And, I would take her to the small set up where Heisuke had gotten my kimono's. It was a little expensive, but I could live without the money.

"We are here," I said, pointing to the store. Chizuru walked over quickly, looking over the various kimono. I also looked as well, deciding I would help out as much as I could.

This would be an improvement, would it not? I was helping someone choose an outfit, giving my opinion. And paying for it as well. If it was a couple months, even weeks, back, I would just nod my head, no interest. Was I opening up?

We both looked around for a while, some catching our attention. But most times we put them back. I had found a kimono that I thought would suit Chizuru, and Chizuru had found one she liked. Both of us held our preferred kimono in front of us, showing each other.

Chizuru was holding up a simple red one, a white floral design on it. It was pretty, but in my opinion, it did not suit her. But, that was my opinion. If Chizuru liked it, then I would buy it for her. If she liked the one I was holding, then I would also buy it.

The kimono I was holding reminded me of the pale lavender one I had. Instead of being a pale pearly lavender, it was a pale pearly pink, the opposite of mine. As mine had silver dragons on it, this one had gold flowers and twigs.

"Which one do you like, Chizuru?" I asked. Chizuru was eyeing my one with wide eyes. "I saw this, and it reminded me of the one I have, except it is purple and silver."

The girl beamed. "We could go with the same but opposite outfits! I'll get the one you're holding!" I smiled gently as I folded it, going over to the owner of the store and paying for the dress quickly. With that, we both headed back to the Shinsengumi's compound.

I handed Chizuru the kimono that had been folded, brown paper protecting the silk. She smiled, thanking me many times as we went to her room. Chizuru put it away, making sure that it came to no harm. Both of us left but stopped quickly.

"Souji, Shinpachi," I said. Shinpachi was grinning whereas Souji had his well-known smirk on his face. "Tsukino, Chizuru."

"What are you doing here?" Chizuru asked. I looked the other way, looking at the lone tree that stood in the centre of this area, swaying gently in the breeze. The grass with vibrant and lush, short and well kept.

"Tsukino, you're going to come with us, right?" I looked over at Souji from the corner of my eye. I then looked back at the tree, replying, "The festival? I am not sure yet. I might-"

"Go with Heisuke," Shinpachi sang. I slowly faced Shinpachi, my eyes narrowed. I found it rude when people spoke when I was before them. I took a deep breath in as I asked, "Say that again?"

"Go with Heisuke." I frowned. Sighing, I turned my face away from him. "I bet you'd have a lot of fun," Shinpachi sang. My frown deepened. I was sure I had a say in this if I wanted to go or not. If I wanted to go with Heisuke or not.

But, Shinpachi was getting at something. If I were to go, I would like to go with Heisuke or Chizuru. I felt close to the both of them. Them two...I felt closest to them. The others, I was still wary about. Especially Souji and Toshizo.

"Excuse me," I said, slipping past the two. "If you need me Chizuru, I will be where I normally am."

I walked back to my room by myself silently, ignoring most people who walked past me. I wanted to go to my room, more specifically the cherry blossom trees. Sooner or later, the season would end and I would have to wait for a whole year till the next cherry tree starts to blossom.

I stopped in my tracks, seeing a certain brown haired person sitting on the stone bench, leaning back as he watched the trees as well. I slowly walked closer, making my way down the steps quietly until I was standing behind Heisuke. What was he doing here?

He turned around slightly to face me, a smile on his face. "Ah, Tsukino! I was looking for you a while ago." I moved to the side, sitting beside him as I watched the small pond whilst looking at him from the corner of my eye. "You were?" I asked.

He nodded his head, humming in answer. "I'm sure you've already heard, but there's a festival tomorrow." I nodded my head. Heisuke had a nervous smile on his face, a hand on the back of his neck, "I have. Chizuru was telling me before I came here."

He seemed to want to say something, but he didn't. His mouth opened then closed a few times before Heisuke sighed, looking down at the ground. "Just say it," I sighed, closing my eyes.

"Do you want to come with me?" He asked quickly. I had to blink a few times, trying to register what exactly he said. Heisuke...wanted me to go with him? Accompany him to the festival? He seemed so...embarassed, to ask me to go with him. Was flustered a word to describe it?

"I am ok with it," I said. Heisuke's shoulder sagged before he shot up, looking at me with wide eyes. "Wait, seriously?" I nodded my head, a small smile on my face as I repeated my answer.

Heisuke shot up from where he was sitting as I sat there, staring up at his now towering figure. "Awesome! I'll come around sometime tomorrow before we leave." I nodded my head, giving Heisuke a closed-eyed smile. "I'll be waiting then."