Chapter 22 ~ What Does 'Date' Mean?

~ Tsukino ~

Chizuru had put a hand to her mouth as she had seen me round the corner with Heisuke. She was wearing the kimono I had bought for her, her hair done up nicely. I smiled as I walked over towards her, Chizuru's eyes sparkling. She looked better as a girl than a boy.

"You look amazing Tsukino! It's so beautiful on you!" I smiled again as I bowed, a thank you as I turned around. Only Chizuru and I had dressed up, Heisuke and the others in their usual clothes, without their blue Shinsengumi haori's.

Both Chizuru and I walked a little ahead as we headed into town. The sun was now setting, the sky dancing with pinks, purples, oranges and yellows. The festival was beginning in a while, so it was better if we headed there earlier. Chizuru and my kimono would not get dirty quickly then.

"I can't believe it though! Where did you get that kimono?" I smiled as I looked ahead, lanterns lit up in the distance. The sound of people greeted my well hearing ears. "I found it in my room after we came back from the hot springs. I do not know who it is from though."

Chizuru nodded her head in understanding. I looked down at my feet, making sure the fabric wasn't touching the ground. I had to make sure to hold it in my hands, I did not want to ruin it. The dress would have been expensive. The feel of the fabric told me.

Chizuru turned around. She called out Toshizo. Chizuru walked over towards him as Heisuke came towards me. Both of us walked in front of the others, all of them talking with one another.

My eyebrows furrowed as I remembered something. I looked up at Heisuke as I asked, "Heisuke, what does 'date' mean?" His eyes widened as he stiffened, gaining his composure quickly as he coughed into his hand.

"Why's that?" He asked. I looked away from him, focusing on the looming lanterns in the distance. Every step they came closer. But, that was to be expected. "Souji said to me before...something along the lines of 'I'll let you get ready for your date with Heisuke'. What did he mean by that?"

From the corner of my eye, I saw Heisuke turn to glare at somebody. Souji more specifically. He looked back at me quickly, a nervous smile on his face as he had a hand on the back of his head, laughing. "Don't listen to Souji. He's just being an idiot. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

I nodded my head slowly. Maybe I would ask Chizuru later tonight? Or maybe Sano and Shinpachi. Heavens above, even Souji himself. I was curious to know what the word 'date' meant. I knew it didn't refer to a day of the week. There was a...hidden meaning behind the word. And I was going to find out just what it meant.

~

Everyone had split up. Chizuru had gone with Toshizo and Kondo while Souji had gone to bug Hajime. Then there was me, with Heisuke, Sano and Shinpachi. I had a feeling the other two would leave soon. It seemed reasonable.

Heisuke and Shinpachi were off playing a game where you won a prize, leaving me with Sano. I was comfortable around him, but not as comfortable as Heisuke or Chizuru. But, I was comfortable around him more than Shinpachi.

"Sano," I asked, watching the other two from a distance. I heard him hum in answer as I continued, "What does 'date' mean? Souji said something about me going on a date with Heisuke."

Sano laughed. If I saw correctly, a few tears pricked at the corner of his eyes. As he wiped them away, he looked down at me. "Souji that bastard... You don't know what date means?"

I frowned, "I want to know what it means." Sano grinned as he turned to face the two near the game, the two who were coming back. "Be quick!"

"Date is when two people spend their time together to get to know each other better, or if they want to take a relationship further to a permanent one. For example, if I took you out frequently and bought you gifts or spent time with you, that would be a date."

"So...When Heisuke bought me dango and two new kimono's, that was a date?" Sano grinned before he laughed, shaking his head. This was very confusing.

"Not exactly. I think Heisuke did that because he wanted to treat a friend. You have to have one thing in common with each other, and that's if you like or love the other person."

I frowned. Heisuke was now very close. "So, if I 'loved' Heisuke and he felt the same way, and he took me out, would that be a date?" Sano nodded his head as he greeted the two. Why was 'love' and 'date' such complicated things? Why could it not be simple?

I sighed, shaking my head as Shinpachi's loud voice greeted my ears. Did he not have a mute button? From the corner of my eye, I could see Sano looking at me from the corner of his eye, a smirk on his face. I looked away as I smiled.

"Well," Sano started. "Shinpachi and I have to be somewhere. We'll meet with you later!" Sano grabbed Shinpachi by the arm, dragging the complainer. Heisuke laughed at the both of them as they soon disappeared into the crowd, nowhere in sight.