Chapter 10 ~ An Older Member Returns

I stood in the shadows, my cloak discarded as I was in my usual wear. Kondo and Toshizo were in front of Souji, Shinpachi and Sano. It was early in the morning, the sky painted pink.

"We're counting on you now," Kondo said. Sano replied with a yeah, while Souji said, "I'm just wondering, who should I kill?"

I shook my head. Toshizo replied, "Just rest, for now, there's nothing you can do in your condition." He then turned around and left, Souji laughing lightly. He then looked down, a grunt coming from him.

I walked forwards, standing near him as I said, "From what I have experienced in the past, Toshizo is just worried about you. He wants to make sure you are alright."

Souji looked at me with a smirk. "Since when did you know this much about emotion?"

I frowned at him as I replied sharply, "I will have you know that I was once a very different person who felt emotions like happiness and worry. That was in the past if you want to know. What I said before is what I vaguely remember."

"How different of a person were you?" Shinpachi asked. I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked at the direction where the two from before had gone. My eyes softened as I recalled some events.

"I was the opposite of what I am now," I whispered to myself, barely audible. The three looked at me as I said, "I was very different in the past. As I told Chizuru yesterday, I am willing to try to learn to trust. If I do end up trusting you all, then maybe I will tell you about my old self."

"Really?" Sano asked. I sighed as I nodded my head, turning around on my heel. "I am willing to try. If it does not work out... I am sure you can answer that yourself." I walked away, going to a secluded spot.

~

It was night, a full moon in the sky. I stood in the shadows as I watched Chizuru. We were at the bridge, where Hajime had brought Heisuke, the boy I had met at the Inn.

"Chizuru?" He asked, a bit in disbelief.

"Heisuke-kun, you're looking well," Chizuru replied. The boy turned to look at Hajime, saying his name. Hajime did not reply.

Heisuke came closer, and that was when I stepped out of the shadows. He looked at me with wide eyes while I lightly smiled under the cloak. He pointed a finger at me as Chizuru said, "Tsukino joined us after you and Hajime-kun left."

"Tsukino? A girl?" I undid my cloak, taking it fully off as I said, "You are Heisuke?" The boy nodded his head.

"So you were the one who fought that guy, huh?" He asked, more to himself. I just started at him, while Hajime said, "From what I have heard, Tsukino is...a special case."

"Special?" Chizuru said a bit offended. I put a hand on her shoulder as I said, "It is true, is it not?"

"Hello? I have no idea what you are talking about, can someone fill me in."

"Maybe," I replied with a shrug. He frowned as I sighed. "Maybe I will tell you another time."

Heisuke frowned. Both he and Chizuru talked for a bit. I knew Chizuru wanted Heisuke to come back, and it had caught him off guard. I remained in the shadows as I listened in on the conversation, not really caring about much of the talk.

A group of man came running over to the bridge. Once they saw Heisuke, they yelled out to him, "Toudou!"

He yelled back, "Something happened?"

"The Shinsengumi has killed Itou sensei at Abura alley!" He looked shocked. This must've been the man who he was working for, Itou. He turned to look at Chizuru, then ran off with the man. Chizuru ran too, yelling, "Heisuke-kun! You mustn't go!"

After that, more men came, one pointing a sword at Chizuru. I growled as I drew Moeru Kage from her sheath. Chizuru backed away, being cornered. As she was about to draw her sword, I came out of the shadows with mine already drawn.

Hajime put a hand on her shoulder, telling her to go and that he'd be alright. Chizuru than ran off, me tailing behind her as she ran across the bridge.

~

We caught up to Heisuke quickly. When I got there, I froze in place. My cloak was no longer on me because I had left it with Hajime. Both Amagiri and Shiranui were there. I felt myself shake.

"Tsu-"

"Do not say my name in front of them, Chizuru. I beg you," I said, eyes wide with fear. I pulled my scarf up, covering some of my face from fear. Hopefully, they would not recognize me as quickly as I feared.

The shinsengumi had been ganged up on, them being surround by others. Only Shinpachi and Sano where there. They were indeed good swordsman.

"I have a proposal for you gentleman. I am willing to make a deal." Amagiri stood there. I knew he would do something like this. He would much rather settle it without fighting. Even though I had been with the Shinsengumi for only a month and barely talked to them, I knew they were not going to agree with what he had to say.

"If you two boys would be so inclined, please hand over Yukimura-kun to us." He looked at them with naturally narrowed eyes. "She's already here. If you do, I will spare you."

Both of them turned around. "What was that?" Shinpachi said. Sano, him and Heisuke all looked at her.

"It's not a bad trade at all," Amagiri said. "With these numbers, I could not advise you to fight. Chizuru Yukimura, will you accept the proposal? Yes or no."

Chizuru began, "I..."

"She declines your proposal," I hissed from behind the building. Never, ever would I let her go with them, even if I had to die. My confidence started to rise up, deep inside of me.

I emerged from behind the building, and in a second, I was standing beside Sano and Shinpachi. I narrowed my gold eyes as I said, "You have to kill me if you want Chizuru. And I can fight for a very, very long time."

"Rather than handing her over so we can live, I'd rather take you all down with me instead," Sano said, sanding in a defensive position.

"There he goes again," Shinpachi said. "Acting cool. Heisuke! Why are you doing standing there? You gonna be the only one to let Sano act cool?"

 Heisuke smiled as he walked forward. "Shinpachi, Sano-san, you're always like this. When it comes to a fight, you're useless without me. They always call out to me, regardless of what I'm busy doing."

"You're the same way, right?" Sano asked. I looked at all three of them from the side, standing near Shinpachi.

They drew their swords, with Sano holding his spear. The men charged at the three, while I waited. Some men came at me, but I killed them quickly without batting an eye.

Shiranui and Amagiri stood farther back. I walked over towards them, a smile on my face.

Both of them looked at me. "You're that person from before with the cloak," Shiranui said. I smiled. "You seem to remember me then, but nothing more."

Shiranui looked at me with narrowed eyes. "Who the hell are you, and how do you know us?"

It was my turn to narrow my eyes at him. I spat at him, literally. "You disgust me. Both of you. Even more than Kazuma at the moment. I do not get how you can not remember me. Or have I grown up so much in the last two years?"

   Both of their eyes widened. "Tsukino?" Amagiri asked. I laughed loudly as I drew my sword, pointing it at his throat.

   "Now you remember me?!" I yelled. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move but I still continued. "You all left me to die!" I screamed at him, eyes clutched tight to stop the tears. As soon as I opened them, tears spilled.

   "You left me! Do you know what happened after?! Do you?!" I dropped to my knees, face in my hands. I could not handle confronting them so openly. "How could you... Especially you, Amagiri. You, you..."

I did not finish my sentence as I blacked out.

*Edited 24/9/18*