Chapter 4 - The Only Reason?

~ ? ~

I stood in the alleyway, watching people pass. Nobody noticed me at all, thankfully. I was keeping an eye on my dear friend Senhime, she was a magnet for trouble. And if she did get into trouble, someone had to drag her out of it, didn't they?

I sighed quietly under my breath. I was doing that a lot lately. I had given up on speaking and interacting with others, even when I appeared as a normal, everyday citizen. I preferred to keep to myself. Either way, having contact with others was a bit...difficult.

Why did I even stick with Senhime? She was an amazing, loving, caring person, yes, but I never really cared about things like that. I had one day found her and asked her to train me, and now that was over, I was still here.

I rolled my eyes. I owed Senhime. She had helped me through thick and thin, and now I would do the same. It was only fair. I had not sunken low, like that bastard Kazuma. He, he has sunken low far. Very, very far.

Watching the crowd very closely, my eyes instantly narrowed at the sight I was seeing. But, I was not allowed to move, or else Senhime would most probably bite my head off later.

~ Chizuru ~

"That's enough! You're disgracing yourselves!" 

"Who do ya think you are? You gonna tell a royalist what to do?" I looked over to see a kid and woman who weren't being treated right. The woman had a look of pride, with no fear evident on her face. "You're scum, all of you!" She spat.

"What did you say, you bitch?!" I ran over to the two, going to stand in front of them.

"Guys!" I called out.

"Who're you?" One of the men asked.

"Why are you attacking a defenceless lady and a child? It's a samurai's job to protect the civilians." I said, my hand spread out in front of the two.

"What was that?!" The guy yelled, drawing his sword along with his other two friends. I quickly close my eyes, waiting for the impact to come, but it never came. I heard the men grunt and fall over. I opened my eyes, seeing Saito-san with his sword drawn. "Rest at ease, I used the blunt side. Don't be so reckless."

I apologized, bowing my head when the woman said from behind me, bringing the kid to his mother, "He's right. I could have handled them on my own just fine." I also apologized but the woman just shrugged it off.

After introducing herself as Sen, we had become friends. I felt like I was being watched, so I looked around until my eyes landed on a dark alleyway, where a pair of gold eyes watched from the distance. They bowed, their eyes closing and them disappearing within a flash.

I smiled at the retreating figure. So, they had gold eyes?

~ Heisuke P.O.V ~

Everyone in the compound was being checked up by Doctor Matsumoto. I was waiting in line, while others before me were being given a physical examination. Shinpachi was up next.

Shinpachi was showing off, while the rest of us were waiting in line.

 How 'bout it? I've put on top of muscle with all my swordsmanship!''

"Shinpachi-san, your body's plenty strong, so he just needs to check your head," I said from behind him, a smug grin on my face. Shinpachi turned around, his fist up, shouting, "Did you know you'll shrink if you're rude, Heisuke?!"

I turned around, my hands behind my head with a grin on my face. While Doctor Matsumoto was checking up on Shinpachi, Saito said from in front of me, "You weren't there last night to see them, Heisuke."

"See who?" I asked, an eyebrow raised.

"To see that hero who saved your ass at Ikedaya Inn," Sano replied quickly. I looked at him confused before it clicked. "The guy with the cloak was here?!" I half shouted.

"Yes, they were protecting Chizuru. One thing's for sure is that they don't trust, and by the looks of it, like us." Sano said.

"And they left with a huge slash across their back," Saito added.

Last time I had seen them, they had defended themselves perfectly. Was this guy they faced much stronger than the Shinsengumi?

~

"Keep the hell away from her!" I yelled at the man before me. It was that guy who had been at the Inn, the one Souji had faced.

"You're like cats and dogs the way you group together," he said to us.

"Now you've done it," Hijikata-san said, drawing his blade from its sheath slightly.

"I'll play with you if you like, but I only came to tend to some business. Also, you should stop turning mere humans into Oni."

"Thats none of your business," Hijikata replied sharply.

"Yeah! Like we'd listen to a freak who tries to kidnap ladies in broad daylight," Sano added.

The man laughed before us. "You're fools. I warned you out of the kindness of my heart." We were there for a while, with him speaking. After he said that Chizuru's father was working with them and had betrayed the Bakufu, he left.

What the hell was going on?

~ Kazuma ~

The sun was setting, it was nearly night. I stood on the bridge, leaning against the rail.

"What do you want with them." Amagiri was on the bank, his arms crossed.

"I merely want to confirm the girl's relationship," I replied.

"Was that really the only reason?" He asked.

My eyes narrowed at him from where I was, before I said sharply, "What are you getting at?"

"I'm asking if you're interested in that group of humans. And if you were there to see that cloaked figure again."

"I'm not interested in them, I merely pity them. And yes, I did want to see that figure again. I want to know who that was."

I was gone before I heard what else Amagiri had to say.

*Edited 24/9/18*