Chapter 26 ~ Crumpled Ball Of Paper

A/N: Hello~ I hope everyone is having a fantastic day today! Anyway, this is a bit shorter than my usual chapters, but do enjoy it like any other! :) Btw, if we can get to 1000 reads & 100 likes/votes, I'll be super happy and I might do something special.

~ Third P.O.V ~

Chizuru looked around the room, hoping to see Tsukino's face. Last night after the festival, she had not come back with Heisuke. Everyone had been curious, some worried, when they had not seen her. Nobody had an idea where she went, and they still didn't. Heisuke would not give anyone a useful answer, only saying she went somewhere.

Heisuke was one of a few people who were worried. After their encounter with Kazama... Seeing him had a visible effect on Tsukino. And Heisuke had wanted to do something, yet he couldn't. He had to watch Tsukino walk past him, back towards the festival where he last saw her. Since then, her whereabouts were a mystery.

Time went by quickly for some, long for others. Chizuru was one of the first to leave, as she was going with Shinpachi and Sanosuke on their patrols. Heisuke was the second to get up, Souji following after him. Only Saito, Toshizo and Kondo remained.

Heisuke was walking towards his room when Souji stopped him, putting a hand on his shoulder. Turning around, Souji was grinning as he reached into the sleeve of his top and pulled out a letter. Moving his hand forward, he held it in front of Heisuke who took it, a bit suspicious.

"I think Tsukino would want you to read this," he said. "I've read it myself, and if you need proof, just go to her room. And Tsukino is a very, very interesting individual."

Heisuke looked down at the letter before nodding his head. Turning around, he continued making his way back to his room, reading the letter that Tsukino had apparently left for him. He was curious to know what exactly she had written down on paper to him, and what Souji meant by proof in her room.

'I want to keep this short and clipped. What I write in this letter is not to be seen by anyone else. Please, burn it after you finish it, and tell Chizuru the less important details of this. I do not want her, or anyone else, knowing what I am to tell you.
The reason why I tell you this is because I trust you, and I can no longer hide it as Kazama has given clues to you. As you know, what he said is true. I am a princess, although I do not want to think it is the truth. I would much rather not know.
I am known as the Princess of The Dragon Sage, but I have another title. The title Kazama know's me by, and you, are not my real title. My father is known as the Son of The Dragon Sage. Why? I'm sure you know dragons can breathe fire. My clan, the Hirukami clan, have the ability to manipulate the suns fire, hence the name Dragon Sage.
I am a different matter, as I control and manipulate the moons fire. Maybe, one day, I will tell you who I really am. Tell you everything I know myself. But for now... It can wait. Tell Chizuru I will be fine, and the others. I trust you, the Shinsengumi, can protect her. It will be a long time till you next see me. Tsukino.'

Heisuke crumpled up the letter as he made a turn, no longer going to his room. What started as a slow walk was now a run, Heisuke trying to reach Tsukino's room as quickly as possible. He couldn't believe it. Was she really a princess? She had said that the title he now knew her by was not her real one. He wanted to know more about Tsukino now.

He skidded to a stop as he stood in front of her room. Souji had said that if he wanted proof, he had to come here. Proof that she was speaking the truth, that she was no longer here. Heisuke hoped that Souji was wrong, that he himself was also wrong.

He opened the door, looking around the room. Nothing. It had been cleared out. Her futon was packed away neatly, her belongings nowhere in sight except a few. Some Tsukino would deem troublesome as she liked to carry light. But, she was gone.

Heisuke saw the kimono's he had bought for her sitting in the slightly jarred closet. Maybe, maybe she would come back. That had to be the answer. Tsukino swore she would look after Chizuru, even if her life was on the line. So why did she leave?

Heisuke's grip on the crumpled ball of paper tightened. She had finally been opening up, and now... Shinpachi and Sano knew, even Chizuru, that Heisuke had a soft spot for Tsukino. He had liked her, a lot. And now, he wouldn't get to see her again, not for a long time by what the letter said.

"Dammit Tsukino," Heisuke said to himself, closing his eyes as he thought over it. Why did she have to leave him?