10. Have a Little Rivalry

Start from the beginning

On the way back with our glasses filled with our bottomless soft drinks, I can hear Cole snapping a few photographs of the surroundings and the food being made before our eyes. It has to be said, I’ve always been curious of people who take pictures all the time, with their meals and outings and making them look so...cool, I guess.

‘So, how do you know Cole?’ Miro asks as we sit back down. He runs a hand through his black hair and grins at me.

Cole coughs and shakes his head. ‘Doesn’t matter, Miro.’

He frowns at his friend. ‘Why not?’

I look over at Cole who has turned protective over the subject and I know exactly why. I don’t make a move to answer his question, and Cole grabs my hand beneath the table and squeezes it. I feel his thumb gently skim over my fingers to reassure me that it’s okay not to talk about it. ‘We met recently,’ he answers sternly, holding my hand in his on his thigh, continually running his thumb over my fingers to reassure me.

‘Where did you meet?’ Miro probes a little deeper.

‘On the moon,’ Cole jests. ‘It doesn’t matter. All you should know is that Hope’s eating with us, so enough with the questions.’

I catch Esme looking at our missing hands from on top of the table and she frowns slightly. ‘How have you been then, Cole? Recovering okay?’

Slurping up his drink, he nods, giving her a charming smile. ‘I’m doing good, Esme.’

‘Does it feel weird, you know, having a new heart?’ Wesley asks curiously, tapping on his angry birds game on his iphone. For some reason, his anti social nature amuses me.  

Cole glances at me and shrugs. ‘I was telling Hope I feel like a robot machine, but it’s cool. It’s working so I’m grateful.’

‘As are we,’ Esme adds, beaming at Cole. ‘So, how old are you, Hope?’

’18, I’ve just finished sixth form,’ I add, trying to sound somewhat mature, fully aware they are all 19 going on 20.

‘Hope went to our school, Miro,’ Cole tells his friend who is busy on his phone.

‘You know, I thought I recognised you,’ he tells me, his lips quirking up. ‘You hung around with a gorgeous blonde and what’s the goofy guy’s name? The one who used to be in Science club with me in year eleven?’

‘Peter?’ I question.

‘HIM! That guy is a genius, really nice guy, actually. His bird is hot, Cole. You must remember her?’

He shakes his head. ‘Can’t say I do. How do you know what his girlfriend looks like anyway?’ Cole asked.

‘Facebook,’ he laughs.

I smirk at Miro’s blunt description of Belle and Peter, but at least it’s all positive comments. I think Belle was probably the prettiest girl in school ever since she started. Despite her not being with the deemed popular people, I think everyone agreed that Belle matched her namesake.

Our food arrives not long after ordering and Esme begins to ask some questions. I can tell she feels awkward with me being here and I kind of hate that I’ve made her feel that way. ‘Are you going to university, Hope?’

I pause. Well, I was going to university, but with the exams I didn’t revise for, I doubt I’ll make the grades. As a result, I just shrug. ‘I’ll see in August.’

‘You’re going back to Art College, right?’ She checks with Cole. ‘That’s where Wes and I met Cole and Miro,’ she elaborates.

‘I plan to,’ he mumbles as he scoffs some chips. He lets go of my hand to eat his burger. I focus on cutting my chicken up and listening to his answers. The more I learn about Cole, the more I want to know. ‘I think I’ll be able to, but I’ll be retaking the second year.’