10. Have a Little Rivalry

Start from the beginning

‘That must have been hard having to pull out of Art College,’ I say, hoping to offer reassurance.

‘A bit. I’ve only got three true friends from school and college now; no one wanted to be friends with the heart boy,’ he tells me with a chuckle, but his smile doesn’t quite reach his eyes. ‘But they’re great. I wouldn’t be anywhere without their support.’

‘Tell me about them,’ I ask inquisitively.

‘I can do better than that. You can meet them,’ he says enthusiastically. ‘I’m meeting them tonight if you’re up for it?’

‘Are you sure? Won’t they mind?’ I know from personal experience how awkward it is mixing groups of friends together. Sometimes, they get along better than expected. Others it’s completely awkward and the friends clash too much to work.

‘The more the merrier,’ he chirps nevertheless as Jennifer rushes over and proceeds to ask us both about her performance. We spoil her with compliments, which she eagerly laps up.

After Jennifer collects her bags and says goodbye to her friends, we go back to their house before Cole drives us to the restaurant where his friends are meeting him. He explained earlier on that it’s a celebration thing as it was the first time they could all get together after his operation and that Cole was well enough to attend.

‘Will you at least tell me their names?’ I plead, looking over at Cole driving but he keeps dodging every question. He’s been adamantly not telling me anything about them.

He laughs as he pulls up into a parking space. ‘That I can do. Miro has been my best friend since we were five and then we befriended Wesley and Esme at Art College.’

After grabbing a parking ticket, Cole leads me to Nandos for their meet up. ‘Nandos is my favourite meal of all time,’ I mention, smelling the hot peri peri sauce a mile off.

‘Me too! That’s why we’re here, I got the deciding say.’

‘You chose well,’ I grin, as I feel his hand rest on my lower back, ushering me inside. I glance up at him and watch as he’s searching for his friends before his smile appears on his face and points to where they are. I still can’t help but focus on his hand resting on my lower back. It feels surprisingly intimate and yet kindly affectionate, with the pads of his fingers pressing against my skin.

‘Guys, this is my friend, Hope,’ he tells them all as we near the table. He lets me slide into the red booth first as I say a few polite hellos to them all and settle myself with a menu as Cole teases his friends and gives them hugs.

Miro looks rather similar to Cole, as if they were twins separated at birth. Wesley has mousey red hair and seems to have stored his skateboard beneath the table. He looks quirky and funny, which should make this easier. His last friend is Esme. It didn’t click for me that Esme would be a girl, but regardless, Esme is gorgeous with long blonde hair and immaculate make up.

Within a minute of being in their company however, I already know she fancies the pants off of Cole and he has no clue. None at all. It’s the way she keeps looking at him and grinning, and she’s hanging on his every word. She is completely smitten with him. I wonder if Miro and Wesley know Esme fancies Cole? 

The three friends had already placed their orders, so Cole and I go up to make ours too. Cole seems to be having a little bit of everything, with spicy rice, halloumi cheese, chicken burger with all the trimmings, cheese and pineapple and a platter full of chips and garlic bread. So much for being healthy, it’s like it’s his last meal on death row he’s taking full advantage of. It comes to a staggering price, but Cole isn’t bothered and just pays as if it was worth pennies. Reluctantly, I let Cole pay for my meal, as he insisted it was his treat.