Riker Imagine: Enemies forced to date

You fall back exhaustively onto your bed after another long day of dating,'dreamy bass player of R5', Riker Lynch. A better way to explain it would be; another long day of publicity stunts.

You look at your phone and see you have a text from Riker:

"Don’t forget the interview tomorrow, we don’t need anything screwing this up."

You scoff and roll your eyes at him. Even when he sends a text message you can sense the rudeness oozing out of him.

Remembering the interview you groan and get on Twitter. There you find about a million hate tweets waiting for you. Yep, ever since you and Riker started “dating”, thanks to his lovely publicist who thinks a girlfriend would spice things up a bit in the tabloids, you have started getting numerous tweets about how ‘you don’t deserve him’ and ‘he can do so much better than you, [insert insult here]’, etc. 

You have had it by now. You and Riker have never even gotten along, why should you continue to get hate for something that you don’t even want to do in the first place? You let out another sigh and set your phone next to you as you drift off to sleep.

At the interview

"10 minutes!" the producer yells and you run around trying to find Riker. You planned on telling him the deal was off earlier but he has been seen nowhere so now you have to tell him just minutes from the interview.

Suddenly you see a flash of familiar blonde hair and run after him. “Riker!” you shout and he turns around. “I need to talk to you about something.”

"Uhm, can it wait? We go on in like 10 minutes." he says motioning to the countdown clock on the wall. He said it quite calmly; no anger, no sarcasm, no hint of ridicule, and that is not normal coming from Riker.

"No, it needs to be said now," you say sternly, "I can’t do this whole thing anymore. This whole ‘fake dating’ thing has gotten way out of hand and it just isn’t working out at all."

Riker looks at you completely shocked, “Are you kidding me? You tell me this now!

"Well you were nowhere to be found all morning and-" you start but Riker interrupts you.

"Okay okay okay, but you are still doing the interview, right?" he asks and you shake your head.

"I have already let the producers know, I told them there was a ‘family emergency’ I had to tend to." you answer and for a moment you can see a hint of disappointment behind the angry face he is making.

You start to walk away when Riker grabs your hand, “No [y/n], you can’t just leave!” he says. It sounded more of a desperate begging than anything else.

"And why not?" you ask, "it’s not like you want this any more than I do! Why do you care if I leave?"

He starts to stutter, “A-Actually,” he starts but then is quickly pulled away to go on stage. You can’t help but wonder what he was about to say and why he became so calm and soft while saying it. Shaking your head you walk to the area backstage where everyone is watching the interview on a big screen.

After the usual introductory ‘hello’ and ‘how are you’ the interviewer gets right down to business. 

"So Riker, I’m so sorry [y/n] couldn’t make it today. Is she doing well?" the interview asks.

"Oh she’s fine, she just had to deal with some family stuff today but I will tell her you said hi." he says shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"The poor girl," the interviewer starts, "family issues on top of all this Twitter hate. She must be having a tough time." 

"Wait, Twitter hate?" Riker asks, confused. You never wanted to tell him about it because you figured he would just join in on the insults and that was the last thing you needed.

"You didn’t know?" the interview replies with a gasp, "many adoring Riker fans are giving her all sorts of hate such as," and she starts reading a few tweets aloud. 

A lot of them hurt you. You try not to let them get to you but you are still human and some of the things they say really do hurt.

You turn your attention back to the interview and you expect to look up and see Riker trying to stifle a giggle or telling the interviewer to read some more. However, when you see Riker he looks upset; like a mixture of anger and sadness.

"Okay I think that’s enough," he says, stopping the interviewer from reading anymore. "I don’t know why all the fans are acting and talking this way. None of what they are saying is true at all."

You begin to get confused considering a lot of the things the fans say you have heard from Riker as well. Not the extremely harsh ones, but insults nonetheless.

"[y/n] is an amazing girl. She is smart, funny, quirky, and the most beautiful girl I have ever met." your heart pounds faster and you feel yourself blush as he continues, "no matter what awful things the fans say those tweets will never make me think any less of her. There is really no point in hating on her in the first place because despite all the insults she is still my wonderful girlfriend and I don’t see that changing anytime soon."

A tear falls down your cheek as the whole crowd lets out a mixture of ‘awes’ and cheering. 

After a few more questions about his career and other things the interview wraps up. You decide to go wait for him in his dressing room and within a matter of 5 minutes the door opens.

"[y/n]? I- I thought you left," he said somewhat shocked but he also kind of looked happy to see you.

"Did you really mean what you said out there?" you blurt out. He scratches the back of his neck and looks down.

He stutters a little before mumbling, “Well- um- yeah.” You get up and walk over to him causing him to look up at you.

"That’s actually what I was going to say before I was pulled on stage, but then I figured you left and I really had nothing to lose at that point so I jus-" you shut him up by pressing your lips onto his. You don’t know what came over you but it just felt right at the moment.

He almost immediately kisses you back and you can tell it’s for real. You have kissed him before just for publicity but it has never felt like this. In need of air you both pull away, still looking into each others eyes.

"So, how do you feel about me picking you up tonight and taking you on a realdate?” he asks and you smile and nod. It’s funny to think that last night you were dreading today and now you cannot be more grateful that it happened. You didn’t know what to expect from the interview but you are so glad that it ended up like this.