Riker Imagine

Hey Riker, I’m sorry I didn’t stop by to tell you goodbye in person, it would hurt too much. You have meant the world to me these past few years and I don’t know what I did to deserve such an amazing best friend like you. Moving away is going to be the hardest thing I have done in a while, promise me we won’t lose touch. I can’t stand the thought of losing you, it makes me sick just thinking about it. Okay, I guess I will text you when I get off the plane. Goodbye Riker.

A tear or two comes to his eye as Riker throws his phone on his bed. He groans and about 2 seconds later Rydel comes barging into the room. 

"Okay, whats with the groan?" she asks walking towards him. He simply points to his phone and she knows that it’s a gesture to look at whats on it. She quietly reads the text and then looks up at Riker with an empathetic look on her face.

"Riker…" she starts but he interrupts her. 

"I’m fine, I don’t need any pep talks," he says stubbornly, "despite the twisty feeling in my stomach I am fine."

"Well that tear rolling down your cheek says differently," she says getting up from the bed.

"I’m not crying," he defends, "I just have a bit of [y/n] in my eye."

Rydel looks at him, “Riker, I know you’re upset so don’t even think about trying to hide it.” Riker sighs in defeat and collapses on his bed.

"It’s mostly a feeling of emptiness," he confesses, "like I need to tell her something before she goes. Of course she is probably gone by now." The disappointment is evident in his voice.

"On the contrary," Rydel says confidently, "if you read the rest of the text you would know that her flight takes off in an hour and a half." Riker shoots up from the bed and Rydel smiles in accomplishment. 

Before he walks out the door he stops and turns to Rydel. “But what do I need to tell her? I know I need to say something but I have no idea what it is.” He acts as if he is sincerely confused but him and Rydel both know he is lying.

"Oh please," Rydel says pushing him out the door, "you know exactly what you want to say so hurry and go say it before you make a big life mistake." And with that Riker is off to the airport.

—————- With you ——————-

You sit in the uncomfortable airport seat glancing at your phone every five seconds, hoping for a text from a certain bass player.  You sigh after each look and your mom looks at you.

"Honey, I know you are upset about Riker but sighing every 2 seconds isn’t going to make him appear," she says rubbing your shoulder comfortingly. You know that it’s true but somehow it makes you feel a bit better. 

"Flight 12 is boarding in 10 minutes, I repeat flight 12 is boarding in 10 minutes." The loud speaking comes from the intercom and your frown turns into an even bigger frown, this is it.

"Come on honey, lets go get in line." your mom says gathering all the luggage. You know you should just go ahead and leave, but something is keeping you there until the very last minute. 

"Um, I am going to use the restroom before we go, I will find you guys when I’m done," you lie and start walking around the airport. Just as you realize it’s almost time to board, you start heading back to your parents, and in the distance you swear you can hear someone calling your name.

"[y/n]!" you hear and the voice is closer and clearer, you have to do a double take when you see who it is.

"Riker?" you ask, immediately running into his arms, you missed his hugs even though it has only been one day without them. "What are you doing-" you start to say but interrupts you with three words that catch you completely off guard.

"I love you," he says, out of breath from running and still holding your waist. You stand there shocked, almost in disbelief with what he just said.

"Rike-," you start to say, about to tell him that he doesn’t really mean it, as much as you really would like him to, and that he is just caught up in the moment.

"No," he protests to your protest, "I’m in love with you. And I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am completely in love with you.”

You blush and can feel the tears welling up in your eyes. “Did you really just quote The Fault In Our Stars?” you giggle and he smiles and shrugs.

"It kind of felt right at the moment," he said, "and who is more romantic than Augustus Waters?" 

"Well Augustus Waters didn’t come to the airport just to tell me that he loves me too, did he?" you say back.

His face turns into a shocked expression, “Wait, did you say ‘loves me too’?” he asks and you nod. 

"So that means-" he starts but before he could finish the sentence you crash your lips onto his. He pulls you closer to him by your waist and you wrap your arms around his neck, running your fingers through the back of his hair. Everything is magical and perfect and you just wish that moment could last forever. It isn’t until you have to pull away for air that you notice people clapping all around you, but you still can only focus on Riker. 

"I love you too," you finally say. Both of you have smiles on your faces when the intercom comes on.

"Flight 12 is now boarding, I repeat flight 12 is now boarding." 

A frown instantly comes to your face. “Well, I guess this is it.” you say with disappointment in your voice and you look down.

Riker lifts your chin up with his index finger so that you are looking up at him, “Hey,” he says reassuringly, “this isn’t the end, okay? You will only be a few states away and we can talk everyday on Skype. This is only the beginning, Meg.” 

You nod and he embraces you tightly once more before you walk towards the boarding line. Before you step onto the plane you look back at him and give one last wave as he blows you a kiss. You finally turn and get on the plane, tears in your eyes; half of them sad from leaving him, but the other half are tears of joy because your best friend who you have been in love with for so long just said he loves you back.