CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE.

THE PRINCE | twenty-three.

J. 

Letting out a small cough, I looked down at my hands that were clasped together in front of me. I inhaled sharply through my nose looking back up at the group of men and women who were piling out of their respective cars. My chin pointed up slightly as people began to come towards my brother and I who stood in front of the entrance of the ballroom.

As I shifted my weight in place, my brother turned ever so slightly towards me, probably not wanting to make our interaction noticeable. "S'il vous plaît essayez et restez immobile," Jaxon muttered. He then waved his hand to an older couple making their way to us.

Please try and remain still.

"Je resterais plus calme si je n'étais pas obligé d'être ici."

I would stay calmer if I did not have to be here.

I could tell he refrained from rolling his eyes and remained calm.  A smile was plastered on both of our faces making our real emotions unnoticeable.

Here I was, yet again at a banquet, I had no clue about. I always find out about events last minute. Deep down, I know that Jaxon does it on purpose, especially because he and I both know I have no other choice but to attend.

I have to go wherever Jaxon goes. If you see Jaxon at an event, chances are I'm right next to him or behind him. If Melissa is alongside him then just look behind them and there I am third wheeling, bored out of mine as I follow closely behind them.

I licked my lips and pressed them together, looking back down at marble tiled ground. Staring at the intricate details on the ground made my mind go to another place.

The last time I attended a big banquet was when I first (officially) met her. By the end of the night, I found myself in my bed thinking about when I first met Baby.

I wasn't expecting much that night. Just like tonight, I was told that I needed to attend the banquet and so I did. I joked with the crowd that stood outside the banquet and made my way inside, slowly but surely, greeting the guests along the way. I remember scanning the room for no person, in particular, that was until my eyes landed on her.

You know when you see someone attractive in public and you know that you will probably never see them again, so you secretly hope that you will see them again? That is how I felt after helping Baby buy a map from a vendor. Imagine my surprise when I actually saw her there standing alongside some of my friends. I felt like the universe was finally working in my favor, finally handing me cards I could make use of.

I was speechless when she turned my way. Well, she wasn't actually looking at me, but just the smallest gesture made me feel... I hate to say this and if Liam could read my mind right now I would never hear the end of it, but... I felt butterflies in my stomach. 

That night changed everything.

I want to speak to her.

I want to hear her voice.

I want to feel her.

I want to be with her.

That is all I wanted.

The only thing I have left of her is the letter she wrote me. I was surprised to receive it from Frances after coming back from the airport. He told me she gave it to him and told him to give it to me once I was back home.

She probably thought I would've stopped her from leaving right then and there, and she was right. I would've. It took everything in me to not go after her and beg her to stay when we were at the airport, but I knew with her mother's incident I couldn't do that, even if I wanted to. She needed and still needs to be with her mother. As much as I wanted to be selfish and just have Baby stay with me, even if it's for just another month, I couldn't.