"Are you cool with your dad not being around?"

"We don't really get along, so it's easier if we interact less. Just kind of orbit the same planet, our house. But really, I'm happier at Chan's than I am at home."

"She doesn't mind that you hang out there a lot?"

"No, I think she's lonely, too, she has some friends, Carts and the football guys, but she doesn't seem to go out too much. She has a family in Quebec, but some bad stuff happened and she had to come here to get away from it."

"Okay, that's valid. How would you describe your relationship?"

Jesus H. Well. Now what the fuck do I do?

"It's positive?" I said, turning it into a question without meaning to. "We generally get along, she helps me out with stuff, I do things for her around the house, cut the grass, things like that."

"That's very kind of you," Shel said. "It's nice that you still want to be a good person and help others, even after all the bad things you've experienced. Shows a lot of character."

"Oh, ah, thanks," I said, feeling awkward. I wasn't really used to anyone praising me, other than coaches, when I scored a goal or something. "I just see someone that can use the help and I help, kinda like how Carts wants to help me," I added, attempting to change the subject. "he told me about how he had a tough time when he was growing up, and now he wants to help people, like how does all his charity work and helps Chantelle and me."

"How does Carts help Chantelle?" Shel asked.

"I know he helped her to move out here, she was trying to get away from a bad relationship and Carts helped her to get settled here in Van when she took her job."

"Yes, he's a good guy," Shel agreed. "I think it's good for you to spend some time with him, like a mentor kind of deal."

"Oh, for sure, I like him a lot," I said. Which was funny, because when I met him, I wanted to knock him out. Not that I could've, since he's a beast, but I thought he was trying to get Chan. But, now that I know nothing is going on with them, I decided it was alright if I liked him.

"Would it be cool with you if we set up a time to meet every week or two weeks?" Shel asked.

"I don't know if I will have time every week, but I could do every couple weeks. I keep pretty busy, I work, play hockey, I'm on the yearbook ... I'm trying to get a scholarship to the States for lacrosse or hockey, so I try to keep my grades up."

"What about a girlfriend?" Shel asked. "Are you seeing anyone?"

Fuck. What am I supposed to say to that. "I have girls that are friends," I responded. "I'm not really sure what I want right now."

"That's okay," he said. I honestly felt like I'd dodged a friggin bullet, like what if he finds out that I'm with Chan? I feel like that's probably not a good idea. But is it a good idea to be in a relationship with a girl who is fucking amazing that I can't even tell anyone about?

It was almost the end of November. That meant my birthday, the lacrosse banquet, and more importantly, going to take my drivers test. I'll be 17 on my birthday, which means in a year from now, I'll be 18, and nobody can bother Chan and I.

Shel and I set up an appointment for the following week. That sounded fine to me. I wished he'd come during algebra again, but no such luck. Class was long over and the final period of the day was English. As I headed back to class, I checked my phone. Nothing from Chan, but there was a text from Carts.

"Hey man, what are you up to after school?"

"Nothing, what's going on?"

"Do you want to go out for wings?"