77

"Everything is lost, and this nightmare is closing in..."

               - Everything is Lost, Maggie Eckford

I couldn't breathe. That much was clear. I didn't know what was happening anymore, it's like nothing made sense anymore. There was so much darkness inside me. Did I really do all this?

I managed to leave the Sanctuary for a few hours, I told Dimitri I was going to spy on Bucky and Tony. I did go to earth, but I wasn't near them. I teleported to a deserted forest in Canada. Thousands of miles away from another soul.

For once in my life, my mind wasn't filled with the burden of other people's thoughts. It was nice, but it also meant I had to listen to my own. I really did it. I really killed him.

I collapsed between the trees on my knees. He's dead. He's really dead. I felt myself starting to shake, and I dug my nails into the dirt and grass.

I felt it coming up so fast, I couldn't even brace myself. I vomited on the ground, and grabbed at my hair quickly pulling it back. I sat there on my hands and knees waiting for more. Which quickly came up as well.

After a minute it stopped but I continued to sit there staring at the ground. I felt tears pooling in my eyes, and I watched them fall on to the green grass below me.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHGGGGGG!" I screamed as loud as I possibly could. I needed to get out as much frustration before returning. After hearing a few birds fleeing everything was silent.

I backed away from my vomit and collapsed on my back. I gazed at the sun peeking through the tree branches. This couldn't be real, but I know I can't have imagined it.

Flashback

I could sense Wanda inside the building, but I also knew Steve was inside. Why did he have to get involved? This could end so badly...

"Go upstairs." I told Dimitri. He nodded and ran around the side of the building.

I took a deep breath and walked into the building. I let it slam behind me so they would acknowledge my presence. I walked through the large empty space slowly, letting my heels click underneath.

"You can't hide forever." I called out, my voice echoing throughout the warehouse.

I heard a loud clang behind me, making me whip my body around. Wedged down into the concrete floor was my old staff. I stepped forward and grabbed onto it, then yanked it free. I turned it over in my hands examining it, it had been so long since I'd seen it. Ever since that fight in Siberia with Tony.

I sensed his presence behind me so I turned and chucked it behind me, right at his head. Of course I knew he would catch it easily. He caught it and stepped into the light.

"Where is she?" I demanded clenching my jaw. I snaked my fingers down to the hilt of my sword.

"Stand down and come with me, Alex." Steve pleaded. I narrowed my eyes and walked around him in a circle.

"Where's the fun in that?" I asked.

"This isn't you, it has to be Grayson, he must've triggered your mind-"

"Grayson is dead, Steven. My mind is my own, and this-" I forced myself to smile. "Is all me."

I continued to stalk in a circle around him, playing with the hilt of my sword.

"I don't believe you." Steve shook his head at me.

"I don't care." I shrugged. "Hand her over. Now. I won't ask again."

"That's not gonna happen." Steve replied.

"Oh, you think so?" I smiled again. I just need to establish a physical connection with him. "Dimitri!"