43

"Falling like ashes to the ground. Hoping my feelings, they would drown." 

               -Believer, Imagine Dragons

For the most part, everyone was happy when returned. As soon as we escaped, we had the Hydra Fort completely bombed. Hopefully destroying whatever was left of that portal, but there was a part of me that hoped it was still there.

I wanted to go back, I needed to go back. I just couldn't shake the feeling from that man. He had bewitched my mind, and I couldn't stop thinking of him.

Besides having completed my mission, there was no reason for me to stay here, but Jemma convinced me to stay another day at the base. She explained to me that a meeting was going to take place between some of the world's leaders to discuss the Inhumans. Because of the tension of the situation, no Inhumans are allowed and no weapons.

It was a dangerous situation and they'd have no backup otherwise. Fortunately I'm not Inhuman so I agreed to accompany Coulson as his assistant for Inhuman research. I wasn't too thrilled, but it was something to do. I wasn't ready to leave just yet.

I needed more time. I reluctantly gave Jemma a vial containing my blood and asked her to analyze it. If I was gonna find out what I was, Jemma would be my best bet. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the results. Regardless, I needed to know everything.

Jemma understood my situation and had promised to destroy my blood when she was finished testing it. I couldn't risk anyone else getting their hands on something so dangerous.

"Good luck." Jemma said, stopping me in the hallway before I could leave the base with the rest of the team.

"I have terrible luck." I replied.

She smiled and placed her hand on my shoulder, "You'll do fine." In her other hand she had a brief case, which she extended to me.

"What's this?" I ask.

"Just a wig and glasses, Coulson thought it would be necessary. The delegates are very well informed on people such as yourself." She tells me.

"Oh, you mean Russian assassins." I said sarcastically.

"Nooo." She says in her extremely british accent. "I meant, an Avenger. Wait, you're Russian? I thought you were from Brooklyn?"

"Technically I am, but I was kept in Russia for nearly a century, you know.... Hydra prisoner and all..." I explained.

"So you speak Russian?" Jemma asked intrigued.

"Da." I replied.

"I'll take that as a yes, then!" She laughs.

"Ready?" Coulson said suddenly beside us with head of the ATCU General Glenn Talbot.

I hadn't spoken to him, but I got the impression he's a dick. I may not be completely up to date on trends, but i'm pretty sure nobody would intentionally cut their hair like that.

"Always." I nodded. "Who's this?" I said looking towards the extremely muscular man beside Talbot.

"Carl Creel, he's the General's body guard. He can absorb mineral based materials." Coulson informed me.

I looked him up and down intrigued, "You can shift your skin into another material?"

Creel just nodded. "Cool." I smirked.

+

Jemma was definitely right about changing my appearance. I look like another person. The wig she gave me was longer than my current cut, with nicely sized brown curls. I made sure it was secure and hopped out of the van.