10

"You can't wake up, this is not dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being."

               - Gasoline, Hasley

My fist swings forward, hitting the bag with another loud thump. I quickly wipe the sweat from my forehead and get ready to punch again.

When my fist makes contact with the bag again I get a searing pain in the back of my head. I do my best to ignore it and keep hitting the bag.

I raise my fist again but my vision flashes back and forth, giving me small flashes of something. My breathing heavies, and I punch faster.

As hard as I fight to keep my mind here I'm snapped back into the memory.

"What's the matter sweetheart?" Grayson smiles devilishly down at me.

My arms and legs are tied to a chair while he continues to taunt me. A tear slides down my cheek and I want nothing more than to wipe it away.

"Is this about your little soldier boy? What was his name.... Bucky." He grins. "He's dead because of you, just like your pathetic little brother, Steve."

I clench my jaw trying to do my best to ignore him and look at my knees.

"You could've saved him, but you abandoned him instead-"

"Shut up!" I finally snap. My head whips up only to be forced back down by his fist. I gasp in pain and blood drips from my mouth to the floor.

I scream in frustration and use every ounce of strength to send my arm forward. The bag snaps from it's mount and flies across the room.

"Is this a bad time?" A familiar voice echos through the room.

"No," I sigh ripping off my gloves.

I chuck them to the floor and walk closer to Steve. After getting my memories of being in the war I couldn't find a single reason not to trust him, he is my brother after all. We even started to act more like siblings, him more than me but I'm still trying to get use to everything.

I sit myself down against the wall and he stands next to me while I fidget with the ring around my neck.

"Come on, I know that face," He sighs. "What was it this time?" It's like he has better telepathy than me.

"Hydra." I exhale shakily, gritting my teeth.

He slides down against the wall so we're at the same level and places a hand on my knee.

"I'll make you a deal. You stop torturing yourself and give up on forcing your memories to come back, and you can come with us on our mission today." He offers.

"Us?" I question, who is us?

"The Avengers." He clarifies.

"Why would I wanna help the Avengers?" I ask stupidly, I know I'm supposed to be good now, but that doesn't mean I have to turn into a superhero, I have my own agenda.

"The mission is to infiltrate a Hydra base and retrieve something they took." Steve explains.

I turn my head instantly to look at him, suddenly extremely interested. This sounds almost too good to be true, so convenient that right when I need to blow off some steam, Steve presents me with revenge on a silver platter.

"We could really use your help." He adds. I consider searching his head for an ulterior motive, but after concluding that was probably why Bucky bailed, I've been staying out of everyone's heads. It's actually been quite nice, most people have screwed up thoughts