The Inner Ring

BETHESDA,
The Central District,
The Great Erydrian Temple,
2420AA.

"The Great Scale of Bethesda." The voice told her, before she could even ask the question and why? She already had an inkling as to the reason behind its inertness. A Great Scale? A Great Scale! Sure the scale was large. But the scale of Bethesda? Bethesda was a town, right? And scales were meant for judging souls, weren't they? She struggled with the concept until she finally exploded, her brows wrinkling as she glared at the very empty space beside her. The place she had last heard the voice.

"I do not understand! I mean, why is it just this one and why is it so big?" She questioned,

"Bethesda is a town, not a soul, is it?"

"Both soul and city are judged alike." the voice replied with a patience that had been lacking earlier. Could this have been what it had wanted to show her all along? Havillah cocked an eyebrow even as it continued to explain.

"Sure, the scales you have known until now have been used to weigh souls and their Virtues, but haven't you heard? The tales of judgement upon cities?" Of course, she was aware. There was no Great alive that did not know the story of Trosarid or Zkanar? Or the other ancients cities that had been judged for their malevolence.

"Yea yea...they were all burnt down to a crisp all because they couldn't stand to be in the all awesome and dazzling light of..." she trailed off even as a horrific thought took hold over her thoughts. "Oh no!" Havillah gasped.

"You are the Light! Aren't you?" The words rasped out from her gasping mouth.For the first time since their encounter, the voice chuckled and Havillah twirled around to face it. What was so funny? she wondered irritated by the fact that she could not see. If only... If only..."Why do you keep doing that?" She complained even as she quickly forgot her initial shock at the possibility of having conversed with the deity.

"Can you contain the wind in one place? Can you imprison the air so that it does not move?"

"I do not know. Can you?" The girl responded angrily.

"Why are you so angry Havillah? Why is there so much bitterness in your heart?"

"You are seriously asking me that right now? What happened to your own attitude?" The furrows etched deeper into her forehead even as she frowned at the offending question. "Anyway, How do you even know all that?"

"Where there is Light there can be no darkness."

"I have no idea what that means, but I am pissed off! If you had been watching, then you'd have noticed that my life is in shambles. Couple that with the fact that you enjoy being cryptic and the fact that I am talking back to a being that allegedly destroyed two nations for being insolent...then I think I have earned that right to be bitter." Havillah huffed back.

"Oh Havillah..." it sighed tiredly. "You've so much to learn." The voice was as a soft breeze caressing her cheeks while it sent down tingles down her weary spine. Unconsciously, she leaned in into the touch and found the comfort it offered.A soft sigh escaped from her lips even as the exhaustion finally took over and slowly she found herself closing her eyes. Suddenly, a violent jolt racked her and she snapped her eyes open only to look around and find that she was now outside the temple, all alone at sunset and with nowhere else to go.

"Grrr!" An irritated Havillah stomped her feet. "That thing! that thing!" she growled out in frustration.

"My my, I never thought I'd see the day when the Great Havillah is anything other than her usual calm and composed self."

"Gabriel!" Havillah turned around surprised at hearing his voice in that place.

"In the flesh!" The man bowed in a show of mock obeisance, a wide smirk stretched upon his annoying face.