Chp. 32

Beth

There were so many things I wanted to ask him. Too many were unanswered and buried. There were answers I needed to hear.

I believed he would tell me when the time came. But what was its importance now? He was here with me. That was all that I needed. It would all piece together with time and patience. Oh, so much patience...

At that moment, the only thing my body allowed me to do was to run into his arms. The tears that were trapped inside for so long, the tears that were afraid to fall because I had forbid them now escaped crazily down my cheeks. They were finally free.

There was always a strange lump right beneath my stomach. I never knew the reason for it. But it all disappeared magically in his arms. Just like that, I was healed.

His arms wrapped me safely against him and assured me everything was okay now. I lifted my head off his chest and looked at him asking with my eyes.

What took you so long? The slightest...I had the slightest thought that you wouldn't come back.

I always had these thoughts in the back of my head but I refused to let them sink in. Because those thoughts would cast a spell, making them true. But I quickly erased them. Once you doubt, those doubts become endless.

Those marble brown eyes of his were just one more thing that boldly told me I was wrong. And who knew being wrong would feel so wonderful.

***

Jay waited outside by the car, waiting for me to make my final goodbyes to Ann and the children there.

There was a part of me that didn't want to leave this place. It was my home and they were my family. For sure, I would come back here often.

Although it wasn't intentional, I was thankful to Carter for bringing me here. They showed me how it felt to love again and to be loved.

"Beth, don't leave."

Nicolas, was the young boy who always had trouble sleeping for some reason until someone rubbed his little belly.

The young boy looked straight up at me, almost falling backward in the process. His tiny hands held onto the ends of my dress as he pleaded.

"Nicolas, I'm not leaving. I'm just...taking a little trip."

I gave a small smile. He reminded me of myself. I didn't want this child to wait for me without knowing if I would ever come back again. I didn't want him to believe in hopeless promises. But I knew I would return.

"When I come back, let's go on a trip together. Now you'll be a good boy until then right?"

His eyebrows that were furrowed were now eased and his mouth formed a bright smile.

"Yea!"

My eyes shifted to Ann that was warmly looking in my direction.

"We're here whenever you need us."

"Thank you. I don't know what I could've done without you. All of you here."

At first, it was hard for me to get used to this place. My mind was elsewhere. Anywhere else but here.

But they were still persistent to accept someone as stubborn as me and I was able to look their way and respond to their affection. It reminded me that there were still such kind people in this world.

As I got in the car, Carter smirked and waved goodbye but I knew I would see him again soon. Even as we drove off I couldn't take my eyes away from the back window. The small teal house drew smaller and smaller until it became a perfect dot and faded away.

Jay

We were finally heading home. Our home. It would be difficult to look past the memories but I knew it was the best choice I made for us.

I didn't want to tell her where I've been for the past 7 years. Well, at least not for now. When the time comes I'll eventually tell her.

But for today I didn't want anything scattering our thoughts.

"Jay, do you like children?"

I took a short glance at her a bit confused from such a sudden question.

"Children?... I never really thought about it."

I saw her slight movements in the corner of my eye. Her hands started to fidget.

Did my answer really matter?

"Well, I don't hate them."

I took a slight glance at her but it seemed that answered her question. Her face seemed oddly flushed.

I slowly drove into the parking lot and came to a stop. Beth was in a daze as she opened the car door and stepped out onto the gravel floor.

The wind blew gently, welcoming us home. 7 years and it still hadn't changed a bit. It was odd. Even when no one was here to care of this place, how was it possible?

I wrapped my hands around her wrist. Her eyes shifted toward's mine with her lips slightly parted.

"Let's go in."

To our home.

*

I'm sorry for the delayed chapter but recently had a lot to catch up on. Thanks for reading as always.

Thank you