Chp. 15

*Glimpse of Carter*

Jay

By the time I came back, she was gone. It was foolish of me to expect her to still be here after what I did.

I didn't realize it before...

But this house, it was so cold and empty. I ignored the thought and walked past the living room but stopped when something caught my attention in the corner of my eye.

There was a piece of paper on the table that wasn't there before. I walked over to pick it up and noticed the writing on the paper.

I'll need to borrow something of yours.

I immediately recognized the handwriting. It was Carter's. She didn't leave. She was taken.

What is he thinking? He was always so unpredictable. Who knows what he'll do to her. Even just the mere thought of it was repulsive.

Knowing her, she was probably scared to death right now, trembling in fear. An image of her face appeared vaguely. Her round, soft eyes pleading, waiting for me.

No. That was none of my concern.

It's better off this way. She's the reason why I've been so distracted lately. The reason why I was such a mess. But even as I engraved these thoughts, I felt so anxious.

Beth

"Mm."

I shifted and felt the immediate soreness on my body. I was awake and tried to open my eyes but it felt so heavy. I felt a soft surface beneath me move and rumble back and forth.

I realized I was in a car. I tried to move but it was pointless. My mind was conscious but my body refused to listen. This grey haired man, who is he and where is he taking me?

The car soon came to a stop. I heard the car door open in the front then loudly shut. The door beside my head later opened and a pair of arms slid under me. I was thrown over his shoulder making my stomach press onto his shoulder.

I was able to open my eyes slightly and saw a blurry vision of the gravel on the ground pass as he carried me. He eventually went up a flight of stairs and opened the door. I tilted my head to the side and found that I was entering a house.

Was this his house?

When we reached a certain point, I was tossed onto the floor. I grunted in the small pain that I felt as my back hit the wall. He shifted my body so I was facing him, supported by the wall. A small smirk crept up his face while his sharp eyes were peered down into mine.

He continued to observe me, tilting his head. He was examining me from all directions as if I was a rare animal he found. And from this, the piercings on both sides of his ear were dangling back and forth to his motion. I wasn't fond of his snake-like features.

"I knew Jay was hiding something. You. Who are you?"

It seemed incredibly wrong for him to be the one asking such a question. I wanted to know who he was. He didn't even wait for an answer and just started talking again.

"Actually, we'll wait and find out."

Wait? For who?

"W-Wait?"

"Yup, for Jay."

He was waiting for Jay? Why?

"Let's just say it's a little test. There's something I want to check. Well, I already know the answer but I want to make sure and clarify a few things."

He chuckled as he peered down at the ground. But whatever he was trying to find, he was wasting his time. I needed to tell him.

"You're wasting your time. He won't come."

My voice lowered as I said the last part. He peered back at me in amusement.

"Well you better hope he does. Cause if he doesn't show up I won't be needing you."

He threatened to kill me.

Was it wrong for me to live in this world? Even the small pleasure I felt in that garden was enough for me. All I wanted was a peaceful life. Was that too much to ask for?

He won't come. I was sure of it. Of course he won't. He made that clear enough.

"It's so odd. He's never done this before."

He looked at me and his eyes furrowed. He started to walk closer to me and reached his hand out towards me.

"You must have a secret. Come on, entertain me."

Thankfully, his phone rang and disrupted anything he was about to do. The guy glanced down at his phone and smiled. He seemed to be amused for some reason. His head leaned back towards me to share the news.

"You are one god damn lucky girl."

😶

I know this story progresses kind of slow but even so thank you for those that continue to read!

💞