Chp. 28

Beth

I was running out of breath and my breaths were becoming irregular as they escaped me. My chest heaved up and down rapidly and it was becoming harder to breathe. I ran mindlessly not even knowing where I was headed. No matter how far I ran, it all looked the same. The surrounding trees looked identical and they were devouring me in complete darkness.

I realized the dangers of following the road since cars could possibly come by. I eventually abandoned the path and ran deeper into the woods where no one would be able to find me.

There was no choice. Running out on the road was too risky. I would be too exposed and probably attract unwanted attention.

I looked down at my feet that were now swollen and aching like crazy. I couldn't tell if my feet were covered in dirt or if it was my own blood that dried.

I was exhausted and my body was worn out. If only I knew where I was, it would make things so much easier. I pushed myself, using the last bit of strength I had until I saw a small glimmer of light past the branches. I gasped in shock from the sight of light.

My legs were shaking but and I managed to run past the branches, towards the light. The light grew brighter as I got closer.

When I finally reached the place where the light was coming from I found myself looking afar to the city. I was finally here. I felt a sense of this wave crashing into me. A sense of relief.

I was sure this was the same sea of lights Jay showed me. I remembered the sight I saw from Jay's backyard. It was like the sight I saw of the city extending before me that night.

It occurred to me that I was somewhere close. It seemed similar to the place behind Jay's house. But from what I remembered, I was looking down at the city.

I look up at the mountain on the other side that was shadowing over the city. The trees were wavering over, inviting me in.

There was no guarantee that I would be able to reach Jay's house on time or whether my sense of direction would ever lead me there in these woods. In fact, it was possible that I would get lost in this endless forest but I was willing to take chances. I was determined to make it to the other side.

I prayed for it to be there. I just had to hold on a little longer.

As I stumbled past the trees, a thought crossed my mind. Ann probably knew that I escaped by now and that made me hurry.

*

Carter

I looked down at my phone and glanced at the caller ID. It was Ann and I sensed that she had nothing good to share.

"Carter!"

Her voice was shaking, scared to continue her next words.

"Beth...she escaped. I-I.."

I remained silent.

"Calm down and listen to me. Just stay there and I'll look for her myself."

I wasn't surprised from what she said but I didn't understand why Beth would even try to escape. I've explained to her of the consequences. She knew the risks. Ann felt responsible and wanted to help search for her. I dismissed her since that would only delay my search and she would also be at risk.

"What?...Why?

"Just do as I say."

I ended the phone call before she could say anything else. I'll have to explain to her later but not yet. There was no need for her to be involved anymore.

It was my mistake. I didn't think she would take the risks to ever look for Jay. I assumed that fear would be enough to stop her but these two constantly plunged into this sea of danger. That was something I couldn't understand and never saw myself doing for anyone.

But where was she headed. Where would she go? She had no place to return to. I thought of the possible places and my eyes widened when I realized that it was too obvious. Of course.

Jay's place.

I looked into the room Jay was in and saw him just staring out the window as usual, still as a corpse. Alive but not living. It was as if he lost all purpose. Frozen in place.

But even after seeing him in such state I wasn't planning on telling him. There was no way I was going to tell him that Beth was heading to his house. I already knew he would probably run out of here immediately, forgetting all that I've said before. He would refuse to listen and mindlessly act on his own.

It was better if he didn't know. At least for now.

"Carter, I've decided."

I looked up at him, a bit startled from his voice. His face was now turned towards me with his still eyes faded in something I couldn't quite grasp.

"I'm not going back to Beth."

*

s