Chp. 22

Then - encounter

Carter

"Aye! Are you deaf?! I said give me your wallet!"

Their forceful demands were followed by punches and kicks towards my ribs. They were being crushed and my body was covered in dark bruises. It would symbolize their achievement and power.

Things changed when a rumor spread in school that my mother was a prostitute. The way my classmates looked at me was different. So with this, the beatings became something regular.

Coming back home wasn't any better. There was always someone new next to my mother. Men surrounded her like a pack of hyenas waiting to get a taste of her.

There was one time when I came home to find a drunkard beating her as she screamed and scratched helplessly. I interfered but what she did only shocked me further.

She refused my help and instead apologized to the man for my behavior.

"Are you crazy?! Don't ever talk to him like that!"

I was speechless from what she did.

"Aren't you the one that's crazy?! Why are you apologizing!"

I was furious and couldn't stop myself from saying the next words.

"Do you know what people say about you?!"

When I thought about the filthy words they called my mother I couldn't bear it. She glared while the tears trickled down her face as she spoke her next words.

"I don't care. I can do anything to keep you alive."

This was all because of me?..

I was sick and tired of this repetitive cycle but at the same time, I was a coward to do anything back then. There was nothing I could do to protect her. My own mother that tried whatever methods to survive.

But there was one boy that was different.

Right when a few of my classmates were about to pour the chunks of leftovers over my head, a boy interfered.

"Let's not waste food."

He looked to be my age. It was a young boy with slit curls and warm brown eyes.

He was gripping onto one of the arms of the guys that was holding the leftovers over my head. The guy snickered.

"The fuck are you?"

He didn't answer. His grip tightened around the guy's wrist and left him yelling for mercy. He kneeled him in the stomach and had the guy grunting in pain.

My eyes widened from the boy's strength. The other guys seemed to be surprised too and stumbled as they tried to fled as soon as he let go. We were the only ones left in the dark ally. Unlike me he had no interest in me any longer. Without a word, he turned to leave.

"Y-You!...What's your name?"

He stopped and turned slightly, revealing just the side of his face.

"Jay."

Jay

As soon as Beth fell asleep, I carefully unwrapped her arm that was around me. I walked towards the closet and just threw on whatever my hand grabbed which happened to be a navy turtleneck sweater and a pair of black pants and a windbreaker.

When I walked out of the closet, Beth was still asleep. Her dark, short curls framed her face. One of her arms were raised, in a loose fist up against her pillow.

My hand reached to lightly graze the surface of her face. Her cheeks were so soft against the back of my fingers, it only made it hard to leave if I stayed longer. I leaned in gently pressing against her lips.

"I'll be back soon."

I whispered to her even though I knew she wouldn't be able to hear me. The drive there didn't take too long since it wasn't that far. It was the usual place that we had the meetings, second to last building in the abandoned construction zone.

Numerous cars were entering the building as I passed the gates. There were faces I didn't recognize. There were new faces in the family. Not that it mattered to me anymore.

"Welcome, sir!"

Those that were new were lined up and bowing their heads as we arrived. When I reached the door, the usual process of body search was done by both of the guards.

I passed between the large concrete pillars and saw Carter already sitting at the front table next to where Dennis would sit. As I sat down across from Carter, he raised an eyebrow.

"I'm surprised you decided to show up. But don't expect anything good to come out of it."

As if I wanted to come.

I remained silent ignoring his talk. But I was well aware of his concerns. But whether I decided to run away or not, the outcome wasn't gonna change. This would just be the slightly better choice.

My only goal was to keep Beth away from anything here. I would never have her involved in any of these matters no matter what the risks were.

Carter's movement brought me back from my thoughts. Those that were sitting down at the tables were now standing up as Dennis walked with his guards following behind him. His appearance silenced the whole room. There was a heavy atmosphere.

His dark long coat draped down almost touching the floor, swaying along with his steps. The thin stripes running vertically along his suit made him look even taller than usual. Those icy cold eyes with the contrast of his dirty blond hair haven't changed one bit.

We all sat down right after he did. Throughout the whole session of the meeting, he remained silent. Too quiet to the point it was strange.

I looked at the doors and saw a few of the guys guarding the door. I dropped a pen onto the ground and looked under the table and saw one of the guys by the door signaling across the room.

It confirmed what I assumed. Slowly, I clicked the pen and right when I was about to stab into Dennis's neck, I was stopped when he started talking.

"Stop."

One of the men who was standing and speaking to the crowd nodded. He suddenly stopped the meeting.

"I think it's about time we bring her in."

My eyes furrowed and my head immediately turned in response to his words. They had both Beth's eyes and mouth covered with a dark cloth. The cloth was wet from her tears and her cheeks were gliatening from it. She was being roughly pulled into the room.

"Get your hands off her!"

As I stood up and stepped towards Beth, Dennis interrupted me.

"Perhaps you should worry about yourself."

I looked around and saw what he was referring to. It was impossible for me to do anything. I was outnumbered, more than I could handle.

"She doesn't know anything. Leave her out of this."

"Whether she knows what we do or not doesn't matter because that won't change the fact that both of you won't get out of here alive."

His mocking chuckle echoed the room.

"It's been a while since I've had such entertainment. Why don't we get started."

*

Thank you