Chp. 6

Beth

It was 2 A.M. in the morning but I was still struggling to sleep. The thought of Jay treating my wounds replayed endlessly in my head. I was in utter confusion.

Why did he treat my wounds in the first place? He was the threat. He was going to kill me.

I closed my eyes tightly, in hopes to forget. It was no good having my mind linger on such thoughts. I started keeping track of the numbers, counting until I fell asleep.

*

I didn't remember where I left off but when I woke up Jay wasn't here. He was out in broad daylight and I assumed it was the usual.

I figured I was wrong when he didn't come back after an hour. In fact, he came home unusually late. I looked at the clock to see what time it was. It was 2:40 A.M.

He rammed open the door which startled me. With a bloody ax in his right hand and his other hand placed on his lower left waist, he limped towards the drawer next to me. The medical box rattled out onto the floor.

I yelped as he knocked everything off the table as he struggled to stand. He started to treat himself. The cut on his hand got his attention first. With great force, he ripped off the bandage with his teeth.

His hands moved down to treat an even larger cut on his waist. It looked horribly gruesome as the blood dripped from the wide open cut. The open skin was radiating its crimson color. His hands were shaking and struggling to apply anything on it. My heart was pounding from the sudden turn of events. It raced recklessly.

This was it...It was my chance. It might've been my only chance.

"I-I'll help you."

He looked at me in pain as he breathed in and out loudly, panting for air.

"..I don't need your help."

He had a hard time saying this. Wincing in between his words.

"You can't do it alone in your current state. Y-You need help. But.."

I raised my arms trying to persuade him to take these chains off me. He resisted but after some silence, he took out the small keys from his pocket. His clouded eyes looked up as he panted.

"One wrong move and I'll kill you."

I was shaking. But what mattered was that he changed his mind. He knew his stubbornness wouldn't do any good. Especially when his life was on the line. He needed me.

The keys jingled as it entered the hole and unlocked.

Click.

My heart leaped at the sound. I had to be careful. He had an ax in his hand that could easily decapitate my head. I turned my back towards him but I couldn't get my feet to move.

In the worst time possible, I got reminded of when he treated me when I had a fever. Whatever the reason was, he still helped me. Now he was hurt and the only person that could help him here was me.

I squeezed my eyes shut. No. I needed to get out of here. When I ran for the door, I heard him yelling behind me.

"You--!"

My legs shook and just when I was about to fall my hands grabbed onto the doorknob. I tried turning it but no matter how many times I tried it didn't open.

Why? Why?!

Tears started running down my face uncontrollably.

"Please...please!"