Chp. 12

Jay

My eyes opened after a decent amount of sleep but the sun wasn't up yet. As I thought, I was able to sleep better with Beth beside me.

I looked over to her and she was still deeply asleep. Her lips were slightly parted as she breathed steadily. Pieces of her hair covered her eyes blocking my view of her face.

This girl gave me an unusual feeling of comfort. My hand reached out to her face, gently sliding across her cheeks causing her to stir and unconsciously follow my hand. She was something new to everything I was so used to. I wanted to understand what these feelings were. The reasons why I was hopelessly attracted to her.

A sudden flash of her smiling at the flowers yesterday appeared in my mind. It was the first time I had seen her smile. Her bright, childish smile was easily able to distract me.

I wanted to see it again.

Beth

My eyes opened as the sunlight shined onto my face. I squinted and tried to cover the light shining down on me with my hand.

When did I fall asleep?

When I got up Jay was beside me leaning against the wall on the floor with his eyes closed. His legs were bent and his arms rested on them. He was holding onto something. When I got up to see what it was I realized they were a bundle of flowers.

My hand reached over his eyes, waving it back and worth to see if he was awake. His eyes opened and shifted towards me. I didn't think he would be awake. His expression was much softer and warm. His eyes didn't carry any ill-will. He stared at me silently and later held out his hand towards me.

Those were for me?

His hand that was wrapped around the flowers was covered in dirt and numerous cuts from the thorns. It looked awfully painful.

"Your hands.."

My hand reached out but I was afraid it would hurt him. His face remained emotionless but it wasn't anything cold. His hand was still there waiting for me to take the flowers.

It was something I never expected which left me hesitant but I eventually took them from him. Whatever his reason was, his small gesture made me smile.

"Thank you."

It came out as a whisper but I was sure he heard it. I peered up to see Jay's face as I absorbed the fresh scent of the flowers. His eyes slightly widened before glancing back down at the ground.

When I got up to wash up, Jay surprisingly didn't bother to move and instead just waited for me. He was in the same spot when I returned. As soon as he saw me he stood up from the chair and grabbed me by my wrist.

I assumed he was goingnto chain me again. That's what I thought until he passed the living room and stopped in front of the door that led to the garden.

I was confused why we were here. I thought he would never allow me back in. He opened the door then he looked back at me as if he was checking on me.

The door opened revealing the magical garden yet again. My eyes closed, feeling its presence.

I loved this place. I haven't been able to go out for about over 2 months now and this garden made me feel like I was outside. It was the closest I'd been.

When I opened my eyes my attention went to the flowers in the corner. Baby's breath, they were my favorite. They never attracted much attention but they had mine. The little flowers seemed to be huddling closely to each other forming a beautiful mist.

"You like them?"

I was too distracted to realize Jay was watching me.

"Yes, they're my favorite."

His hands were reaching over to pull them out but my hands stopped him.

"Don't pluck them. They'll die. Some things are meant to be appreciated than to be possessed."

Jay stared at me and I realized I had said this out loud. I hoped he wasn't angry. His hands lowered to my surprise. He was taking consideration of what I said.

"What of it..do you like about them?"

"Everlasting love. That's what they mean. Small but quite an existence."

Whether it was towards a partner, family or a friend, the idea of an everlasting love was beautiful. Illusionary but still beautiful.

"You believe in it?"

I noticed his eyes that held what looked like sentimentality. I was a bit surprised to see it inside his. Unexpected. He waited for an answer.

"I hope in it."

A little bit. Because too much of it can be crippling.

"The garden. It was also something both my mother and father loved."

After some silence, he continued to talk. That's right. When I came here he was alone in this house. Even now, where were they?

"Where are they now?"

"It was 15 years ago. My father was ill and passed away when I was 10. And my mother..."

He stopped midway.

"She had an affair with my uncle."

To be left alone at such a young age, I knew how it felt.

"You don't need to look at me that way."

He smirked at his words.

"I killed her in the worst way possible. She died in my hands. She deserved to die."

His voice came out harsh but it softened in his next statement.

"That's what I thought."

I was shocked by what he had just said but I could tell he was regretting it. In fact, this garden was enough of a proof. He kept it just how he needed it to be for his memories that were in shards. It seemed to be his way of desparately holding onto the last pieces.

Jay walked towards me grabbing onto my shoulders.

"I did the right thing. Tell me I did!"

His eyes were shaking out of nervousness while his chest heaved up and down rapidly. His intakes were sharp as if he was having it hard to breathe.

I didn't know what to say so instead just placed my hand aside his face, hoping it would comfort him in a way. Assuring him I was there. His eyes shifted to my hand before closing them. His face leaned against my hand as he held them in place.

"You won't leave me."

His words came out a whisper as if it wasn't meant to be heard. More for himself. When his eyes slowly opened, they looked deepky into mine. They held something different than before. It changed. He came forward closer. His face leaned down, closing the gap between us.

This time I was sure. And soon I was proved right. His soft lips gently pressed onto mine.

I had been afraid but the more time passed it only became more apparent.

It was insane but I had fallen for him.

*

thank you