Chp. 19

Beth

Beth...Beth.

I heard a small whisper near me. I immediately recognized his voice and opened my eyes to his call. His dark figure was hovering over me while his hair nearly covering his eyes.

"What's wrong?"

What time was it?

I looked over at the clock and it was exactly 12. I had lightly fallen asleep. My attentiom shifted when Jay suddenly lifted me up and started wrapping me in his thick, warm blanket.

"W-What are you doing?"

I was lost with words. After covering me in all those sheets, he carried me downstairs.

"Where are you taking me?"

I was confused. It was the middle of the night. Well I couldn't sleep anyway from the nap I took but where could we possibly be going?

"You'll see."

Jay continued to walk down the hallway towards the back door. It was the dark, wooden door beside the one leading to the garden. He opened it wide and a gush of wind breezed against my face. The cold, crisp air of winter was so refreshing. The smell of the pine needles was carried along with the gentle wind breezing against my cheeks. The structure of the landscape was even more visible from the light layer of snow that covered the hilltops and the branches of the trees.

I leaned back tk face the sky above us. I couldn't stop the wide smile spreading on my face. I was amazed by the creation of this world. The stars were lightly sprinkled beside the crescent moon and the clouds surrounding it were whirled mysteriously.

It was something I never noticed before. Taking the time to look up at the sky wasn't something in mind back at home. It felt like such a waste for just the two of us to be admiring its beauty. Jay continued walking past a few trees before stopping.

"Look."

I turned my head and my eyes widened while my lips parted in awe from the sight. It was as if the stars were below us now. Millions of lights were shimmering back at us. A sea of various colors was spread across. The lights faded as they spread and laid out. The whole city was literally right before us.

"Beautiful isn't it."

He was gazing below at the sight with me.

"It's amazing..."

It was truly amazing. Where he lived held paradise. Who would've known there was something so grand right behind his house. It was as if I was in a storybook with magical gardens and bustling cities that seemed to be so out of place.

The city seemed so close but yet so far. I wanted to go closer. I wondered what it was like out there. I recalled all the stories I heard from passing crowds from the north. They were careful in saying them but I never forgetten those stories. A better place we all longed for.

I was curious but some things were better seeing it from afar. I knew someday I'll probably be there so as of now I just wanted to admire the scene. I turned my attention to Jay who was looking towards the city while carrying me in his arms. My head leaned forward, leaving a small peck on his right cheek. It was a little gesture of apprieciation.

His attention finally shifted to me. I loved his captivating eyes that were able to churn my heart and pull me deep into his spell.

"Thank you."

He waited to show me this. Just for me. It was hard to believe such a cold man had these warm sides to him. His eyes lowered along with his lips and they soon met mine. It gently moved against mine as the trees, stars, and moon waited for us.

Everything was so perfect.

Too perfect.

Jay

Time goes by so slow when you desperately wait for it. As soon it hit 12, I didn't wait much longer.

Carrying her in my arms created warmth for the both of us. The cool breeze didn't seem to bother her either. I was satisfied with how captivated she was from the sight. I was absorbed in her while she looked at the scenery.

Ocassionally, my eyes gazed over to the city lights glistening below us. I had forgotten I had such scenery right behind my house. It's been a while, but because of her I was able to see it again.

She appreciated the smallest things as if it meant life to her. At first, I didn't understand it. She didn't have anything. She lost her home, her family, and even the life she left behind.

How can someone be so content with what they have, when they have nothing?

But even so, she didn't blame anyone. Never filled with hatred or remorse. And never tainted in greed like most of the people in this world. Something I wasn't able to stop myself from.

She was able to make me admire the things I'd never known. She was leading me. And this time I was willing to go with her.

*

Thank you
s