Chp. 29

Beth

I pushed past the branches, revealing the familiar wooden house in front of me. I was beyond exhausted but I couldn't help the small smile spreading across my face.

I bent against my knees and took a moment to catch my breath. They were shaking but I clenched my teeth as I pushed to get up. My hands reached over to push past the branches in front of me but I yelped as someone dragged me back. His two hands covered my mouth and dragged me back deeper into the woods. My eyes widened as I tried to squirm away and my screams were muffled.

Who is this person?! Who could have possibly known I was coming here?

The only person that could've possibly knew was Ann but that was possible. These weren't hands of a woman. They were rough and his grip was tight and firm around my shoulders while the other hand covered my mouth.

"Stay quiet."

My body stopped resisting when I realized the familiar voice. It was Carter. My heart sunk when I realized.

How...Wait then where was Jay?

I tried to pull his hands off me and ask but the sound of car doors shutting from afar turned my attention away.

My eyes traced the sounds that came from Jay's house and saw a group of men getting off the dark vans. One. Two. I continued to count and there were a total of four vans. We watched as the groups divided and went separate ways into the house.

"They're searching for anything that might reveal their information. Any trace. If you went in right now they would've killed you without second thoughts."

My heart began beating faster as I watched the men breaking in. I was ashamed that I didn't think about such things and acted recklessly. I almost put Jay in more danger.

"There'll be a lot more visitors here now so stay away from this place."

Visitors? Who else was he talking about?

His grip loosened trusting I wouldn't do anything in this situation. I turned around to face him. He was wearing a hat to cover majority of his face but after seeing the numerous piercings on his ears I was sure it was him.

"Is he safe?"

Something was telling me that I wasn't supposed to know where he was but I had to know of his safety.

"Don't worry about him, he's fine."

I had the urge to ask of his state. Whether he was healing and recovering properly but I didn't ask any more questions. There was a heavy weight on my chest but after hearing those words it felt much lighter. It was amazing how a single news would have me feel at ease.

"It's better for you to stay with Ann. Wait there until I have any further news."

It wasn't a promise nor an agreement but it was as if he was asking me to trust him, asking me to wait no matter how long it took.

My gaze turned back to the cabin where the men continued to walk in and out of the house. It was my last look before however long it would be until we returned.

When I turned around something draped over my face from what he threw. My hands fumbled to take a look at what it was but his arms suddenly lifted me up.

"What are you doing?"

He was carrying me in his arms, as he walked further away from their sight.

"From the looks of your feet, I think I'm doing you a favor."

I felt a small pinch in my chest feeling sorry for sounding so sour. I looked down at my feet and agreed that I should stay put. His black jacket that was covering my body was rather soft and warm against my skin. I was unaware of the cold temperatures before since ny mind was elsewhere.

"T-Thank you."

I was relieved when he didn't bother taking it back even after we were inside the car. He had it cover my legs. His car was parked away from the road, making sure we were out of sight.

Without a word, we drove off to a different path I came from. I didn't dare to bring up Jay again. I couldn't. I stared into the woods where I couldn't tell if they were the trees itself or its shadows that we were rolling by. My eyes shifted up at the night sky and it was indeed odd.

It was a night where the sky was dull. Where the moon was neither a crescent nor a full moon. And where the night held no stars.

It was mocking me. Reflecting what was inside me.

Even the night sky kept away the answers to the questions I had. Only giving me this so called 'hope' I would have to cling onto again.

I wonder...
how long I will wait this time...

*

♡s