Kat 4

{the day before the dance}

I sit in front of my TV. My apartment is empty and quiet compared to Brock and Star's house. Sure, it doesn't have as many games but it does have pictures of my mother. She was such a great mom. I miss her, I really miss her. I guess if it weren't for her I wouldn't be alive but still she was awesome.

I hear someone knock on my door. I stand up and go answer the door. Keith stands in the hallway. He just looks at me. His eyes aren't as clear as they always are. I can normally use his eyes as a way to see how he's feeling. I move out of the door way and let him inside. He sits on the couch and looks down at the dirty carpet.

"Kat, can I stay here tonight. My parents don't want me home right now," he asks as he slowly looks over at me.

"Sure, you can stay on the couch. Are you okay, Keith? Your eyes are misty and your voice is a little nervous," I reply.

"Oh, yeah I'm fine, Kat you don't need to worry about me," Keith answers.

I walk to my little hallway closet and grab a blanket and pillow for Keith. He normally comes to my apartment when his parent are fighting or one of his siblings are causing trouble. It's funny how I sometimes take care of my personal butler. I hand the blanket and pillow to Keith and walk to my kitchen.

"Did you eat?" I ask.

"No," he answers.

"Are you willing to wait a few hours for your food?" I question as I start grabbing the ingredients to make his favorite food.

"Yeah, I'm not really hungry right now but I'll probably be hungry in a few hours," he replies.

I take out my phone and look at the recipe. It should take about three and a half hours from prep to finish. I start cooking the food.

Ring! Ring! My timer starts ringing signaling the food is ready. I open the lid to check on the cabbage rolls and they look right so I put them on a plate and call Keith to the kitchen.

"I know I said I'd be hungry but I don't think I can eat all of these," Keith jokes.

"That's why I'm here, I made them you aren't going to eat them all," I reply.

"What movie are we going to watch this time?" Keith questions.

"I'm thinking we should watch The Avengers!" I cheer.

"Again?" He laughs.

"Yep!" I laugh as I grab the plate and carry it to the coffee table. Keith sets up the movie and I enjoy the food I made. Keith understands the way I act and the tragedies that got me here on my own. I understand Keith just as much as he understands me. We sit on the floor and enjoy the movie as we eat the cabbage rolls.

Halfway through the movie and my eyelids are already starting to get heavy. I'm struggling to stay awake. It's okay if I fall asleep I've seen this movie a hundred times. I know what happens. I lean my head back onto the couch and slowly drift off into dreamland.

(The next morning(day of the winter dance))

My eyes flutter open as the sun peaks through the glass door in my living room. I sit on my floor as still as possible as my body wakes up. I yawn as I stretch and stand up. I glance down at the floor and see Keith laying down, almost completely under the coffee table, sleeping like a baby. I walk to the bathroom and begin getting ready for school. I brush my teeth as I search for my face paint in the cabinet. I grab the face paint and set it by the sink as I spit out the toothpaste and clean my toothbrush. I grab the face paint again and put it in my room. I look in my-almost empty-closet and grab a random outfit to wear.I walk out into the living room to check on Keith and see him struggling to wake up. He rubs his eyes and manages to wiggle out from under the coffee table.

"Good morning,  Kat," Keith yawns as he sluggishly walks to the bathroom.

"Good morning Keith!" I reply as I walk to the kitchen to make breakfast. I plug the toaster into the wall and grab the bread. Toast... what a classic breakfast.

"Hey ,Kat, where is the comb I left here last time a stayed?" Keith asks.

"It should be in the cabinet on the bottom shelf in the plastic drawer with the label Keith on it!" I reply. I walk out of the kitchen as the bread slowly becomes toast. I look for my school supplies and spell book while I wait. I hear the toaster as I shove my homework into my bag. As I throw my book bag over by the door I see Keith walk out of the bathroom. He look so tired, he's definitely not a morning person. I get my toast and spread peanut butter on it and being eating it. I grab my book bag and drag Keith out the door.

"Kat," Keith speaks.

"What is it?" I ask looking back at him.

"Thank you," he replies.

"There's no need to thank me, I'm just being a good person!" I cheer. I hear him mumble something but I don't know what it is. We walk out of my apartment building and start walking to school.

Our walk to school is quite but I know he has so much he wants to say. Something about him makes me think that I am supposed to protect him from what is about to happen. I have a feeling that's telling me something is about to happen and it's very bad and very dangerous. I have to protect him and all of my other friends. I don't want to lose the people I care for...not again.