One

Listen to: Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield while reading this chapter

This is my first chapter! Eek, I'm nervous to see what you guys think. I'm always open for soft criticism and advice.

——————————————————————

As I pack the last box into the back of the moving truck, I wipe the sweat off my forehead. Yeah, I am going to miss Springfield and it's bipolar weather and crazy traffic. But another part of me has always missed Summerset. I also get to see my best friend in the entire flipping world. Ella Rays.

"Done packing?" Dad asks as he approaches me with one last cardboard box heaved in his arms.

"Yep," I pop my gum and look around at the neighborhood one final time. Man, I am going to miss this place. I follow dad to the front of the moving truck and climb up into the passengers seat. It's boiling hot inside this stupid truck and I really am concerned for my health. I mean honestly, I've sweated so much I could hand an entire village a cup full of my sweat. Gross, yeah— but it's the truth.

"It's hot as Mercury out here," Dad whines as he blasts the AC but it only boosts out hot air.

"No kidding," I chuckle while pushing the air vent towards the ceiling so hot air isn't bursting into my face.

"Dad," I say while watching him put the truck into action.

"Yes honey?"

"Are you nervous to go back," I think about my words, "to Summerset?" I watch him ponder his thoughts. In all honesty, I'm nervous beyond belief. A part of me wonders if people will recognize this ugly face of mine. I soon dismiss that thought because in elementary I was a complete nobody.

"What's there to be nervous about?" He replies wisely, obviously knowing that something's bothering me.

"I dunno," I pause and watch as we pass swaying trees with flowers fully blossomed on them. "I guess the thought of not belonging scares me." Dad looks at me when I say this with his eyebrows crunched together and worry implanted in his forest green eyes. Prepare for a parental lecture.

"Tay, you've grown up there. People will be overjoyed to see a pretty face like yours return after 4 years."

"I guess you're right," I say as I send him a soft smile. My dad always has been and always will be good at making me feel better. He's like my best friend, he understands me without me even having to explain myself at times. It's incredible really.

•••

We pull up to a smoothly cemented driveway. The house looks as if it was newly built— modern. I feel my lips tug into a goofy smile as I hop out of the truck, my sandals clap against the blistering hot cement.

"This is it," Dad says as he walks up next to me. We both stand there for a second and take in the view of our new home. I quickly walk up to the door and swing it open. The cool air blows all around my body, relieving me from the previous hot- almost dehydrated state i'd been in.

We start unpacking, to our luck we didn't have an incredulous amount to unload and unpack into our new home. After helping Dad out in the kitchen for a while, I decide I should start working on my room. I grab a bag and sling it over my shoulders before picking up a cardboard box. I really forgot how weak I am because my arms burn as I heave it up the stairs and into my room.

The room is completely empty except for a bed, nightstand, and a dresser. I lazily drop the box to the ground and groan in exhaustion. I really hate manual labor, and I'm thankful that it's friday evening. That gives me two more days to unpack until I head off to high school. My new high school.

"Ahem," I hear someone clear their throat behind me. The sound makes me jump because I wasn't expecting anyone, and also because I was lost in thought. I turn my head around and see Tanner. My jaw nearly falls off but I run up to him and hug him.

"Tanner!" I exclaim. Hunter is a childhood friend that I've practically grown up with— he's like an older brother.

"Hey tay," he chuckles and I push myself off of him so I can get a good look of him. He's changed a lot. But that's to be expected I guess. He more... attractive. I feel my heart flutter and I wonder if my cheeks are as red as I think they are. I soon back up so I'm at a more breathable distance from this beautiful piece of a human being. Not to make the situation seem worse, but i've always had a small elementary school crush on this boy. And now it's fully blossomed into a heart throbbing admiration.

"I missed you," Tanners words roll off his tongue so pleasantly. "A lot," He tops the cake with a gorgeous smile.

"I'm a pretty missable person," I shoot back and bite on my bottom lip in attempt to hold in my laughter. Tanner laughs through his breath and runs a hand through his ruffled bronze hair. That's when it hits me.

"Tanner," I say questioningly. His eyes meet mine again.

"Hmm?"

"Why are you here? Not to be rude I mean I'm glad you're here," I almost choke on my words until I suck in a breath. "But why are you here?" He shakes his head while chuckling at me. I still am standing here though, with a look of confusion contorted onto my face.

"To help you unpack and settle your nerves. Duh." He says all matter of factly while pointing to the two boxes and a bag laying lazily on the floor of my new bedroom.

"Oh," I drag out. God I'm so stupid. Of course he's here to help me unpack. Duh.

Ahhh!!! First chapter down, many more to come

Ahhh!!! First chapter down, many more to come. ;)

I really hope you guys liked reading this chapter, as I enjoyed writing it.

xoxo,
IsabellaWritess