Chapter 55

I meet Ginny outside of the Carrows' office that evening at five. She knocks on the door with a shaking hand and I see the nerves coming out in her.
     Alecto opens the door and ushers us in. Being alone with the Carrows like this is terrifying. I feel their stares burning into us as I stand beside Ginny. This room is massive, with a clear space on one side, where we're instructed to stand.
    "Mrs. Weasley, you showed disrespect to teachers and our ministry today. Mrs. Black, you broke a basic rule. Those are the reasons you're being punished. I think using crucio will be a good warning."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    It must be an hour later. It's not the first time I've been tortured like this but my experience doesn't help. Ginny is right beside me on the ground, writhing and screaming just like me. My throat will hurt later I'm sure, but nothing can overpower the pain of the crucio curse right now.
    Finally it stops and I'm dragged to my feet while my friend is left on the ground. My wand is thrust into my hand from where it was taken earlier and Amycus points to Ginny. "Use the crucio curse on her."
    She looks up at me, a determination in her brown eyes. "Do it," she mouths to me. I'm afraid. I've never wanted to inflict this on another human. In the pressure of the moment I do the only reasonable thing. I fling my wand to the ground.
    Along with my wand, I'm sent to the ground by a fist. Amycus' if I'm being specific. He aims his wand at me and sends a spell my way. The flesh on my arm is torn apart and a scream fights its way from my lips.
    Blood pours from the cut on my arm as I try not to cry. Alecto is standing overtop of me a moment later. "I heard Bellatrix did some pretty work on you. Let's see it." I try to protest but she yanks the hem of my shirt up, barely keeping my bra from showing to Amycus.
    Not even Ginny has seen the jagged scars on my stomach and I hear her gasp as the Carrows laugh. "Weak traitor!" Amycus taunts. I'm more focused on the fact that Alecto has her wand pointed on me.
    I feel the cuts on my stomach. The same place Bellatrix cut into my flesh. Of course Alecto's sick mind would come up with something like this. Open up old wounds. She wants to make sure I never forget. Ginny is screaming again along with me. When all the letters on my stomach are bleeding the Carrows tell us to get out. "By the way, no going to the infirmary as part of the punishment!" Amycus calls after us.
    Ginny is trying to haul me up the steps. To where I have no idea. Tears are clouding my vision as I allow Ginny to lead me wherever we're going. She's muttering angrily but I only catch the part about what the Carrows can do with their wands.
    Finally she takes us through a door and lays me down on a bed. "I'm sending a patronus to Neville. You'll be fine," she tells me. It's not long later that the door opens again and I hear Neville's voice. Ginny sounds uneven as she speaks. "She had scars on her stomach. She was taken a while ago. The Carrows reopened them and I don't know how deep. I know basic healing spells but nothing for this."
    Neville comes over and appears in my slightly clearer field of vision. "Hey Bella," he tells me. "Don't worry. I know a spell to help you. It'll probably scar though." I don't know what to do so I laugh. I was already scarred.
    I know Neville wasn't always the best at spells but I'm convinced he's doing it wrong after I feel burning. I cry out as Ginny holds my shoulders down. "It's okay. It's supposed to hurt. You'll be fine," she tells me.
    A bit later I sit up and see that my stomach is still scarred. The letters are a little thicker and more jagged but they're not bleeding. As for my split lip, I tell them to just leave it. Neville insists on fixing my arm where the Amycus used a severing charm. I thank them both and head back down to the dungeons. I will never get another detention.
    On my third day I get a letter. Immediately recognizing George's messy handwriting I tear it open with a smile.
Hey Bells!
    I miss you so bloody much! Fred does too and he sends his love. I'm already worried about you and Ginny. I sent her a letter too. She owled Mum yesterday. You both got a detention with Amycus and Alecto Carrow? Please be careful love! If they hurt you, owl me immediately and..... and I'll do something. It was a bad idea to send you and Ginny back. We're all worried about you. Write me back soon. I love you. Remember what I told you before you left.
    -George Weasley

    I smile as I read my letter only for it to be jerked out of my hands. Goyle stands in front of me with my letter in his hand. "Give it back!" I snarl. He only laughs and holds it above his head. "Come get it!" He taunts me.
    The letter is jerked out of his hands by a certain boy with whitish blonde hair and I have to keep myself from smiling. "She's not worth it Goyle. Let's go," Draco says. He's sneering but his eyes are soft. He presses the letter back into my hand, something along with it.
    As soon as they turn the corner I open my palm and a giant smile finds its way onto my face. Draco gave me a charm with my name in elegant handwriting. There's a note along with with it. I open it up, eager to read my cousin's words.

I love you Bell. I'm sorry.
    -DM

    Draco always was one to keep things brief.