Chapter 40

George's POV
    What have I done? One of my siblings let it slip what I did and nobody is talking to me. I deserve it. I deserve so much more.
    I can't take the silence anymore so I go outside. Walking down the street, I stop underneath a tree and sit down. I wish Bells was here so I could apoligize. She wouldn't accept it and I would understand.
    I get used to the silence and decide it isn't so bad. Then I look at my hands and feel sad. The spaces between my fingers are where hers used to fit perfectly.
    After a while, Fred comes outside. "What the heck Georgie?" He asks. I look down at the ground and pull out some blades of grass. "Bella is the worse mistake I ever made," I say quietly. Fred looks over at me, surprised.
    "Do you really mean that?" I nod my head. "Every decision I've made involving her has led to no good." I tell Fred in reply. He rolls his eyes. "Don't be overdramatic," he tells me. "I'm not! I kissed her. What kind of fourteen year old kisses an eleven year old?" Fred looks over at me for a second, but shrugs.
    "You stayed together for a long time," he says to me. "Yeah and then the whole thing at the Yule Ball happened. You can't tell me that wasn't a bad decision," I say bitterly. Fred grimaces. "I'm was bad for both of us George," he says.
    "Anyway," I continue. "The whole things with Blaise happened and I made her break up with him instead of telling someone or doing something myself and she ended up in the hospital wing," I say. Fred rolls his eyes. "Don't tell me you think that was a bad decision. She would have been so mad had you told someone. You did the right thing," Freddie says.
    "Is that it?" He asks. I shake my head. "I got back together with her. You-know-who came back and I still stayed with her," I tell Fred. He looks at me in disbelief. "So you're upset for being in a relationship?" Fred asks. "No Freddie it's not that. You know who her parents are and what they did. She's already a target without being with a "blood traitor" on her head," I say.
    "You stayed anyway. You gave her that ring," Fred says to me. I nod my head and swallow. "I did, and then I broke up with her." Fred looks at the ground, playing with his shoelace. "Then I, you know," Fred says to me. "We never really talked about it."
    "We didn't," I agree. "I don't know Freddie. I mean I was upset, but at the same time, how could I blame you?" I laugh. Fred cracks a small smile. "It was wrong of me Georgie," he says. "Well I'm sure you wouldn't have done anything as bad as slapping her," I say.
    "That was pretty bad George," Fred tells me. "How much did you hear?" I ask him. "Enough," he replies. "I didn't even mean to do it," I tell him. "I lost my temper. I don't know how to explain it," I say to him. "Georgie, maybe you should apologize to her," Fred tells me.
   I nod my head before placing it into my hands. "I just couldn't believe the things I was saying. I couldn't believe the things she was saying. When she said that about Angelina, I just lost it," I tell Fred. "There will never be an excuse."
    Fred lays down on the ground, stating at the clouds. "I remember that first day we saw her," he laughs. "In her little Slytherin robes." I chuckle and lay down beside him. "She begged us for help and we just picked her up," I say.
    "She could always tell us apart," Fred says. "I don't know how." I turn to Fred and give him a serious look. "Do you think we'll ever be anything more than Fred and George?" I ask. "I mean, not even Mum can tell us apart." Fred shrugs. "I don't know Georgie. I think it's just one of those things you accept," he says. "You're a good brother Freddie," I say. "You too Georgie," he replies.
    We lay underneath the tree until Ginny comes to tell us that it's dinner time. To say dinner is an awkward affair is an understatement. Nobody nobody really talks to me. They all just kind of look at me like I kicked their puppy or something.
    After dinner, I go upstairs and decide to write Bella a letter. I know better to expect a reply though.
Dear Bells,
    I am so so so sorry. There is absolutely no excuse. I also know you'll never forgive me. I just want you to know that everything you said to me was completely justified.
    I love you Annabella. It means nothing now, I know. You're probably laughing at me even writing it. Looking back on this morning, I'm reminded of when you were with Blaise.
    I remember thinking that you looked so tired everyday. You looked so sad all the time and you looked scared whenever I saw you with him. I thought it was just jealousy because when it comes to you, I'm jealous all the time.
    I have no idea how to convey what I feel. You are amazing and beautiful and special. I love you more than words could ever say. You had every right to be angry.
    Annabella, Bells. I swear that if you forgive me, that I.... I don't know what I'll do. I'll be the best person on Earth. I'm not asking to get back together, but I will if that's what you want. If you want to he friends, that's okay too. I just need you in my life. Please. I miss you. Last night was the best nights sleep I've had in ages.
     Love,
             George
----Bella's POV---

    After dinner, Remus and I sit in the living room. As I watch the flames, I curl into Remus' side. "I just don't know how I should be feeling Rem," I tell him. "Angry? Sad?" Remus sighs and pulls a chocolate bar out from underneath a couch cushion. He hands it to me. "It'll be okay Bella," he says.
    He's about to say more, but an owl flies into the window. Remus opens a window and the owl flies in. I should have known it was Errol. He drops a letter on my lap and flies into the wall. I recognize the handwriting on the envelope.
    "I'll be right back," I tell Remus before dashing to my room in his house. Ah yes, my room. It hasn't changed since it was first decorated for me. It's light pink, and has white curtains. The floor is hardwood, and it has a rug by the bed that's also white.
    The bed is my favorite thing in this room. It's one of those canopy beds. I insisted on it when I was small, persisting that princesses had them. Remus, who was over the moon (no pun intended) at having a child around, spoiled me rotten.
    I rip open the letter and take in every word. I can feel my lip quivering when Remus knocks on the door a bit later. He comes in with two mugs. They're filled with hot chocolate I assume. "Was it from George?" He asks. I nod slowly, handing him the letter.
    I know it's deeply personal and was meant to be read by me, but Remus has always been good at keeping my secrets. After reading the letter, Remus sighs again and hands it back to me.
    "It's going to be okay," Remus says, hugging me. Finally, I let myself go and cry in his arms. "I don't understand!" I exclaim. "I know you don't and it's okay," he responds. When I've calmed down a bit, Remus looks me in the eye.
    "Bella, what I'm about to tell you can never be repeated. Understand?" He asks. I nod. "I'm in no way condoning this but I wanted you to know that once, when they were newly married, your father hit your mother once. She was pregnant with you." I stare at him, wide eyed.
    "My father did that?" I ask. "What happened?" Remus runs a hand through his hair. "She took Harry and left. It was a while before they got back together. He sent her letter after letter. She was alone except for me, Narcissa and Lucius, and Snape."
    This sheds a new light on things. "She forgave him?" I ask. Rem nods. "I told her that she shouldn't go back to him. I was scared for her. I never liked Regulus much," my godfather admits. "You loved my mother, didn't you?" I ask him.
    Remus smiles. "I did love your mother. She never felt the same way, but we were best friends and I like to think we still are. I mean, I am your godfather," he says to me. Smiling, I ask another question. "Do you still love her?" Remus gives me a look.
    "I don't know if I just stopped loving her. I mean I love her, yes. Just not in the same way. I saw how happy you father made and makes her and those feelings just faded out." He tells me.
    "I've seen you with Tonks. What's going on there?" I ask. Remus looks uncomfortable. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing is going on. I am too old for her, too poor for her, and I am a werewolf," he says. I can't help the laugh that comes out of my mouth. "Yes. A big scary werewolf painted a room pink for his three year old god-daugter." Remus and I drink out hot chocolate while he tells me stories about his younger days. My mother has always been so selective about what she tells me.